fixing a BLT light set

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Katharine & Paul, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Hello all!

    I have a BLT Spectrum Ni-cad (2 lights, 10W and 20W) light set a few years
    old. The battery pack doesnt take any charge. Charge it up , and it powers
    the light for a few seconds.

    How else can I run my lights? Are there alternative batteries I may be able
    to hook up?

    Tags:

  2. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    Plenty of options. the battery pack on those blt's is only a plastic
    case with space invader type foam around the battery. Try a dick smith,
    if you feel adventurous. Or commercial places like battery world or
    master can fit new cells or suggest more powerful ones.

    just recycle the spade connectors from the old bottle top.

  3. any tricks to opening it?

    "Rayc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Plenty of options. the battery pack on those blt's is only a plastic
    > case with space invader type foam around the battery. Try a dick smith,
    > if you feel adventurous. Or commercial places like battery world or
    > master can fit new cells or suggest more powerful ones.
    >

    > just recycle the spade connectors from the old bottle top.

  4. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:31:36 +1000, Katharine & Paul wrote:

    > any tricks to opening it?

    Have a look just below the top dome, and above the lip that the cage
    should grab when it's on the bike. The join on older models used to be
    there. Flex it a few times, and maybe use a small screwdriver to break any
    glue that's holding it together. I thought it was just a press fit, but
    the only BLTs I've looked at have been very old.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of

  5. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Katharine & Paul wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have a BLT Spectrum Ni-cad (2 lights, 10W and 20W) light set a few years
    > old. The battery pack doesnt take any charge. Charge it up , and it powers
    > the light for a few seconds.
    >
    > How else can I run my lights? Are there alternative batteries I may be able
    > to hook up?

    What voltage is/was the old battery pack?

    Marty

  6. Katharine & Paul wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have a BLT Spectrum Ni-cad (2 lights, 10W and 20W) light set a few years
    > old. The battery pack doesnt take any charge. Charge it up , and it powers
    > the light for a few seconds.
    >
    > How else can I run my lights? Are there alternative batteries I may be able
    > to hook up?

    If you pull the battery pack apart you will probably find that only one
    of the cells is totally stuffed. It will have a very low voltage or
    even a negative voltage. However you should still replace all the cells
    in the pack with some from jaycar or some other shop that sell cells at
    a reasonable price. The old cells that aren't to bad can be used for
    devices that don't draw too much current.

    REMEMBER NOT TO THROW BATTERIES CONTAINING HEAVY METALS IN THE BIN. ASK
    YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL TO FIND OUT WHERE YOU CAN DISPOSSE OF BATTERIES.