Fixing Brakes...

gdiza

Jul 28, 2004
Hi Guys,

I am having a bit of problems fixing my brakes on my old bicycle.
I can't seem to get them working 100% and i dont really wanna take my racer into a shop to have them fixed (i think i can learn) is there anyone who can guide me or direct me to a "walk through" online.

Picture attached of the type of brakes i have on the bicycle.

my main problem is that, when i "brake" the brakes tighten, but dont loosen again.

thanks guys. :D

gdiza said:
Hi Guys,

I am having a bit of problems fixing my brakes on my old bicycle.
I can't seem to get them working 100% and i dont really wanna take my racer into a shop to have them fixed (i think i can learn) is there anyone who can guide me or direct me to a "walk through" online.

Picture attached of the type of brakes i have on the bicycle.

my main problem is that, when i "brake" the brakes tighten, but dont loosen again.

thanks guys. :D

Your brakes are side pull calipers.
It sounds like your return spring is doing it's job... or it isn't able to do the job.
Park Tool has some help, but maybe not what you need.
Take a look at URL:

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/sidepull.shtml>

It also could be your brake cable or cable housing. You can isolate the cable and housing issue by taking the cable off the brake and working them independently.

daveornee said:
Your brakes are side pull calipers.
It sounds like your return spring is doing it's job... or it isn't able to do the job.
Park Tool has some help, but maybe not what you need.
Take a look at URL:

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/sidepull.shtml>

It also could be your brake cable or cable housing. You can isolate the cable and housing issue by taking the cable off the brake and working them independently.

you are screwing the bolt too tight. loosen it up and it should retract

ps. its the middle top one

gdiza said:
thanks guys, i'll try this... :)
personally i'd change then for dual pull, i kept having problems with my old single pull ones, the more i used them the closer they would work there way to rubbing the rimms. there only tektro, there rand new but your welcome to them, if only or spares and repairs if you need a spring to replace them with.