Fixing buckled wheel

Dont even know how I did it... Probably putting it in/out of my car.

Anyway, wheel is definitely not running true. Can I fix this or is it
new wheel time? trouble is it seems to be buckled left/right if you're
looking down on the bike turned upside down - consequently the brakes
rub as the wheel revolves....

sorry for the ignorance - I can remove the wheel (its the back one),
but how do I get the gears (five spoked wheels) off ? Or is that part
of a wheel ?

Bert: Sounds like you busted a few spokes. This could be easy to fix
or difficult. It depends! If it's a very old bike possibly the spokes
have corroded to the nipples or the nipples to the rim. To remove the
freewheel you'll need a freewheel removal tool, you'll need to buy
some spokes. To fix the spokes, a spoke wrench and a little time
especially if it's your first attempt. The spoke wrench twists the
spoke nipples to allow for the rim to be adjusted both "true" side to
side and "round" (circular).

If you want to do it yourself, which is really a satisfying
experience, go to your local bike shoppe and ask their opinion of the
wheel and buy from them the tools they recommend for the job.
Otherwise leave it you your bike store and they can get you rolling
again.

-Rick

In article <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Dont even know how I did it... Probably putting it in/out of my car.

Can you give us an idea of how much the wheel is "wobbling"? Normally
anything reasonable can be routinely retrued, and as an aside you won't have
to pull the "cluster" (gears).

Presumably you don't happen to own a spoke wrench or truing jig, although the
bicycle itself can substitute for the latter in a pinch. Take it over to a
local shop unless the problem is extreme - what folks call "potato chipped".

Art

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Dont even know how I did it... Probably putting it in/out of my car.
>
> Anyway, wheel is definitely not running true. Can I fix this or is it
> new wheel time? trouble is it seems to be buckled left/right if you're
> looking down on the bike turned upside down - consequently the brakes
> rub as the wheel revolves....
>
> sorry for the ignorance - I can remove the wheel (its the back one),
> but how do I get the gears (five spoked wheels) off ? Or is that part
> of a wheel ?

You don't need to get the gears off to true the wheel; it's quite easy to
do. If it's a five speed block it's likely to be a freewheel not a
cassette, and freewheels can be *****es to get off. Sheldon Brown's page
on building wheels here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
[update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Anyway, wheel is definitely not running true. Can I fix this or is it
> new wheel time? trouble is it seems to be buckled left/right if you're
> looking down on the bike turned upside down - consequently the brakes
> rub as the wheel revolves....

My LBS charges a fiver a time for truing and (although Tony Raven doesn't
think much of them) I'm happy with the service. So, it shouldn't cost much
to sort out.

If you fancy a go yourself, you'll need a spoke key (probably about the
same cost as having your LBS true the wheel) and you can use the frame as a
truing stand (proper truing stands cost from seventy quid upwards AFAICT).
Here's a couple of articles on the subject:
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=3041
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/workshopdetails.asp?id=28

BTW, if the rim is shot it's not the end of the earth because a basic rear
wheel shouldn't cost more than thirty quid - and that's with your LBS
swapping the cluster to the new wheel!

HTH,

--
Geoff

On 24 Aug, 22:53, [email protected] wrote:
> Bert: Sounds like you busted a few spokes. This could be easy to fix
> or difficult. It depends! If it's a very old bike possibly the spokes
> have corroded to the nipples or the nipples to the rim. To remove the
> freewheel you'll need a freewheel removal tool, you'll need to buy
> some spokes. To fix the spokes, a spoke wrench and a little time
> especially if it's your first attempt. The spoke wrench twists the
> spoke nipples to allow for the rim to be adjusted both "true" side to
> side and "round" (circular).
>
> If you want to do it yourself, which is really a satisfying
> experience, go to your local bike shoppe and ask their opinion of the
> wheel and buy from them the tools they recommend for the job.
> Otherwise leave it you your bike store and they can get you rolling
> again.
>
> -Rick

Nah. Spokes look fine and bike is nearly new.

On 24 Aug, 23:11, [email protected] (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Dont even know how I did it... Probably putting it in/out of my car.

> Can you give us an idea of how much the wheel is "wobbling"? Normally
> anything reasonable can be routinely retrued, and as an aside you won't have
> to pull the "cluster" (gears).
>
> Presumably you don't happen to own a spoke wrench or truing jig, although the
> bicycle itself can substitute for the latter in a pinch. Take it over to a
> local shop unless the problem is extreme - what folks call "potato chipped".
>
> Art

maybe about half an inch from side to side.

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dont even know how I did it... Probably putting it in/out of my car.
>
> Anyway, wheel is definitely not running true. Can I fix this or is it
> new wheel time? trouble is it seems to be buckled left/right if you're
> looking down on the bike turned upside down - consequently the brakes
> rub as the wheel revolves....
>
> sorry for the ignorance - I can remove the wheel (its the back one),
> but how do I get the gears (five spoked wheels) off ? Or is that part
> of a wheel ?

a local bike shop should beable to sort it out, it's probably not new
wheel time.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

[email protected] wrote:

> On 24 Aug, 23:11, [email protected] (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Dont even know how I did it... Probably putting it in/out of my
> > > car.

> > Can you give us an idea of how much the wheel is "wobbling"?
> > Normally anything reasonable can be routinely retrued, and as an
> > aside you won't have to pull the "cluster" (gears).
> >
> > Presumably you don't happen to own a spoke wrench or truing jig,
> > although the bicycle itself can substitute for the latter in a
> > pinch. Take it over to a local shop unless the problem is extreme
> > - what folks call "potato chipped".
> >
> > Art

> maybe about half an inch from side to side.

'snot much, prolly just need a couple tightening up. If you have no
experience of spokes, then take it to the shop, especially as you say
it's almost new.

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura ace 10