Fixing Scratches on Carbon Fibre

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
I was just wondering on what is the best option to fix a scratch on a carbon fibre frame .. is it safe to use car touch up paint or will nail polish be able to do the job? which one is a safer and better option? As for the severity of the scratch( caused not by crash but most probably due to rear cassete rubing on it during rear wheel installation) it is deep enuff for the paint to come off and can be felt when using a cloth to rub over the area.. how will u guys go about fixing such a problem normally ?

I'm not quite sure how deep you are talking about but assuming the carbon fibre itself isn't damaged and it is the 'laquer' layer then a hard nail polish should be adequate in one or two coats (I use clear but you could use tinted I suppose to match the fram colour). I would spend extra to get a good quality hard nail polish---like say $5 or so.

I use automotive clear coat sparingly on my carbon fibre frame, its thicker than nail polish.

Not quite sure if it went into the carbon fibre but it is deep enuff thru the laquer and the paint (nude carbon can be seen).. does this mean its damaged?