Fizik Aliante = San Marco Concor or Regal or Magma MG?

puma

Jul 23, 2003
Looking for a new saddle. I've been using an Aliante for a while and it's been very good. Tried an Arione, and that turned into a razor blade after a few hours. I'm interested in trying out something in the San Marco line. Not concerned at all with weight. And was wondering if anyone here knows which saddle is most similar to the San Marco (i.e. happily rode an Aliante and found a better fit in one of these, or the opposite). The Magma looks like and Arione, so that may not be the best choice. But not sure about the Concor or Regal.

Thanks.

puma said:
Looking for a new saddle. I've been using an Aliante for a while and it's been very good. Tried an Arione, and that turned into a razor blade after a few hours. I'm interested in trying out something in the San Marco line. Not concerned at all with weight. And was wondering if anyone here knows which saddle is most similar to the San Marco (i.e. happily rode an Aliante and found a better fit in one of these, or the opposite). The Magma looks like and Arione, so that may not be the best choice. But not sure about the Concor or Regal.

Thanks.

Err, why not stick with the Aliante? What question are you trying to answer, problem you are trying to solve?

I've ridden various Concor saddles for years and found them to work well for me. I find them to be very comfortable.

You may experience something entirely different. The only way to really know is to ride one.

Peter@vecchios said:
Err, why not stick with the Aliante? What question are you trying to answer, problem you are trying to solve?[/QUOT

I agree, stick with what works for you. I love my Aliante. Tried a Concor a few years back and hated it. But everyone's different.

Peter@vecchios said:
Err, why not stick with the Aliante? What question are you trying to answer, problem you are trying to solve?

Well, the Aliante been good to me. But then again, maybe it's just a case of being the best out of the worst. It isn't perfect; and can get uncomfortable after day long rides. No harm in seeing if I can find something more comfortable. Since there are dozens of saddles, I felt the best place to start was with it's basic platform/anatomy that seems to be compatible with my buttocks and try a diff variety.

If Kenf had an issue crossing over from the Aliante to the Concor, then perhaps I will test the Regal first.

puma said:
Well, the Aliante been good to me. But then again, maybe it's just a case of being the best out of the worst. It isn't perfect; and can get uncomfortable after day long rides. No harm in seeing if I can find something more comfortable. Since there are dozens of saddles, I felt the best place to start was with it's basic platform/anatomy that seems to be compatible with my buttocks and try a diff variety.

If Kenf had an issue crossing over from the Aliante to the Concor, then perhaps I will test the Regal first.

OK, try to find a SSM Strada, older versions called the Titanio 200-nice saddle.

I was relatively happy with the Fizik Aliante but prefer the Regal. The shape of both is pretty good, for me anyway, I think maybe the aliante was actually too soft. I really love the Regal.

puma said:

My experience has been that I get used to most any saddle out there, but it takes at about a month and a few hundred miles. If you've been riding an Aliante or Arione (flat-style saddle, the Concor or Regal turned-up tail is going to put pressure in a different spot. Swapping saddles for just a couple of rides doesn't reveal much.

Tilt, setback and even height adjustments vary as well. The "right" set up for an Arione is going to be different than a Concor or Regal, and it might take 3-4 rides just to get all that dialed-in to your comfort.

Only general guideline I'd give is that if you're a 180 lb, 6' tall rider like me, a thin 180 gram race saddle just ain't going to be great on a century ride. Currently I'm on a Terry Fly, which is about as comfortable a saddle as I've found. (Previous favorites were the SSM Era and Arione). Other thing I've learned is that they do break down and wear out with age and miles; no saddle lasts forever. The ERA with synthetic cover seems like it's held up best for me of the recent saddles.

You could get really crazy and try an old-school Brooks. Several brevet guys here swear by them. If a saddle works for a non-stop 1200 km jaunt, it can't be bad :)

I've used the Concor although am not at present. It's pretty good but you can't get one with a cutout, which is a disadvantage if you tend to get a bit of numbness.

The turned-up-tail design is good in that you can shuffle forward or back a fraction and the saddle is pressing on you at a slightly different angle, which you don't get with the flat-as-a-board types.

Anyway, Lance rode one for years and only lost one testicle, so they can't be that bad. :)