Fizik Aliante... suitable for gals?

Mouse Potato

Jun 26, 2003
(NB: Posted here rather than in the Women's Cycling forum 'coz I'm interested in what guys have heard too...)

The Fizik Aliante gets so many good reviews that I'm very, very tempted to get one, but most reviewers are guys... do any of you have any knowledge of what women think of these saddles, particularly for longer rides (2-5 hours)? I know such opinions aren't foolproof -- lots of women rave about the Terry Liberator and Terry Butterfly, but after trying them for a week each I rated both as "Spanish Inquisition" -- but at least it'll give me some idea before I shell out the $$$!

Alternatively, do any of you know of any bike shops in Sydney that stock these and let you test them for a week or so? I've only seen 'em online, so far.

I mostly use a Fizik Vitesse at the moment. It's quite good -- on both road bike and crappy old hybrid, somewhat surprisingly -- but there's definitely room for improvement!

One of my jobs at work is sizing people up on bikes and lots of women use mens saddles. I don't think there is any problem with it if it feels good to you. Living in Colorado I don't know a place to get them in Austrailia but I am sure that any shop could order you one and try it on a bike to see if you like it. If they won't do it look for a better shop. I know some women that refuse to use a womens saddle but I am not sure why. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by pudster
... I am sure that any shop could order you one and try it on a bike to see if you like it. If they won't do it look for a better shop ...
Oh, I'm looking. That was going to be my next thread. ;)

Not that several bike shops haven't tried to be helpful, and I've got quite a bit of interesting background info from some of them, but they all seem to have such a restricted range... and not restricted towards the stuff I'm interested in! I've only been cycling since May, and I've already struck the problem with pedals and helmets too. I understand the economics of it (individually as well as in terms of how big Australia isn't in the global cycling marketplace), but it's still frustrating.

Ah well, maybe I'll just have to splash out on one anyway. It's Christmas, after all. Even if it doesn't beat the Vitesse for comfort I can probably entertain myself by sticking it on the crappy hybrid and making all the serious cyclists splutter. :D