Fizik Aliante Vurses Review

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
(Its Versus, I spelled it wrong in the title)

I am one of the unfortunate cyclist who have had MANY problems with saddles since starting. I have tried several and always wondered if I would find a saddle that fit my body correctly. Did I find the PERFECT saddle finally!?? no probably not perfect, but it has certainly made my cycling more enjoyable. Could this new Fizik Aliante Versus saddle be an aswer to anyone else? possibly. I think anyone who has done saddle research has come to find out that what works for one may not work for another.

My last saddle, the Cobb V-Flow plus was one that I thought would be a great fit but I think I jumped the gun on making such an extended review with such little experience on it. It was great at first, but part of me thinks it was more mental trying to convince myself that it was working. each ride became more and more painful. After 400 miles of pain, I returned it. They were fantastic to deal with and completely understood.

So now I have my Fizik Aliante Versus. This is a new design from fizik which has the center "cutout" or dip down the center which does a nice job in relieving pressure. I now have 350 miles on it in just over 2 weeks. My initial feeling of it was.....WOW this has A LOT of padding, thought maybe it was going to be to much. Saddle has a fair amount of padding which is soft to the touch but is firm to support your weight. about 20 miles later I thought, WOW this soft padding feeling is gone and now it almost feels to firm. Between then and now I have gone back and forth wondering if this was going to work for me. In the end, I just had to stop thinking about it and ride. So I did, and looking back I haven't had any sit bone sorness, rashes or numbness after a ride. So as of now, it works great. My longest ride on it has been 80 miles and I was pleasantly surprised to have absolutely no discomfort. I spent a lot of time in the saddle and was concerned that it would get painful quick, but it didnt at all. It has a carbon "flex" across the center that gives nicely. I think my other saddles I had tried in the past were just to flat. This saddle has a little bit of rise on the tail which I personally feel as if it supports me in my position better. I also spend a lot of time in the drops which surprisingly is very comfortable on this saddle.

IF you are like me and have not found a saddle that feels comfortable or are looking for something different, this might be a good one to try.

As for now, I would rate this a 8/10. (In comparison I would rate the cobb saddle a 5/10)

BIG downfall for me is it doesn't come in white. :mad: I know you dont see it when your sitting on it, but I really would prefer white. :eek:

Sounds like it's working good so far. :cool:

Does it come in various widths and what width are you using?

Looks like you found a place to park your rump truck. I tried an Aliante a few years ago and couldn't get it to work for me. FWIW, I think your saddle is the perfect color. I test rode a white saddle earlier this year for a month (an SSM Regal/e). While the saddle and my peaches got on great together, I found the lack of sensuality oozing from the white color tarnished my chi way too much.

64Paramount said:
Sounds like it's working good so far. :cool:

Does it come in various widths and what width are you using?

Fizik doesn't do the varying width thing. That's a Specialized gig. The Aliante--all flavors--is 142 mm wide, a bit too narrow for my pelvic nubs.

Nice! I like how it has the slight rise in the rear.

Just last week I picked up a fizik arione tri2. Only have about 170k on it but I'm quite impressed so far. I also thought it was a tad soft at first. Compared to my other saddles which are spec toupes, an avatar, an SR and a time. All of which are much more firm.

I'm liking the looks of that saddle you have there.

Looks like fizik has Found Happy new customers in the both of us.

bianchi10 said:
So now I have my Fizik Aliante Versus. . .
IF you are like me and have not found a saddle that feels comfortable or are looking for something different, this might be a good one to try.

As for now, I would rate this a 8/10. (In comparison I would rate the cobb saddle a 5/10)

BIG downfall for me is it doesn't come in white. :mad: I know you dont see it when your sitting on it, but I really would prefer white. :eek:
Don't sweat it, Fizik will probably have a white one next spring.

In its short lifetime Fizik has always made good saddles. After years--decades, really--of sitting on Turbos and Concors, I'm very happy with my Arione. And adding a "love channel" to their top three road models is just icing on the cake. Congratulations.

alienator said:
Fizik doesn't do the varying width thing. That's a Specialized gig. The Aliante--all flavors--is 142 mm wide, a bit too narrow for my pelvic nubs.
I hear what you say. I need a saddle that is at least 149mm wide. There are not a lot of them availble in that width that look really good.

kdelong said:
I hear what you say. I need a saddle that is at least 149mm wide. There are not a lot of them availble in that width that look really good.

Have ever put your bumper stops on an SSM Regal? I've tried the SSM Regal/e and liked it, but I'd like to see how the original Regal compares. Both are great looking saddles.

Looks like you found a good saddle.

I went to the Aliante when I found they had the flexible shell. I did not like the hard plastic shells I saw at that time, about 6 years ago. I am pleased with it. I also let my vanity allow the purchase of the silver saddle to match my tubing.

I spent a lot of time in the saddle and was concerned that it would get painful quick, but it didnt at all. It has a carbon "flex" across the center that gives nicely. I think my other saddles I had tried in the past were just to flat. This saddle has a little bit of rise on the tail which I personally feel as if it supports me in my position better. I also spend a lot of time in the drops which surprisingly is very comfortable on this saddle.

BIG downfall for me is it doesn't come in white. :mad: I know you dont see it when your sitting on it, but I really would prefer white. :eek:[/QUOTE]