Fizik Arione saddle - anyone tried yet?

patch70

Jun 19, 2003
Looks like a good saddle in theory but still hard to get here in Australia so haven't had a chance to test one out. Any reviews?

I like the fact that it is considerably cheaper than the Aliante but am wondering how the comfort will compare.

Originally posted by patch70
Looks like a good saddle in theory but still hard to get here in Australia so haven't had a chance to test one out. Any reviews?

I like the fact that it is considerably cheaper than the Aliante but am wondering how the comfort will compare.
A racer buddy of mine has been using one for about a month, after switching from a Fizik Pave. He liked the Pave, but loves the Arione. It's a touch on the heavier side for a high-priced racing saddle, but he says it's verrrrry comfy.

Originally posted by patch70

I haven't offered any observations yet since saddles are so personal its risky to base a decision on someone else's preferences. Since you asked, though, I have to say I love the saddle. Most folks seem to comment on the extra length, but I only really notice that when mounting the bike. (It took me a few rides to adjust my mounting motion to avoid snagging my shorts on the saddle nose.) The big difference for me (coming from a Selle Italia Trans Am Max Flite) is that the curvature of the Arione seems to be a perfect fit for my butt. When viewed from the rear, the Arione is smoother and more rounded than most saddles. Hard to describe in words, but it looks more like the top of a circle, while other saddles have protrusions for the sit bones. YMMV, but that simply fits me better. I ridden several hundred miles on the Arione, including a couple of centuries, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Stephen

the price ($120) of this saddle is not bad compare to the Aliante. But I'm not too thrill about the weight though, around 250g.

But if it proves to be the most comfy saddle for long distance trips, it would be worth it.

man, i am getting tired of buying seats, but this one looks like it may be my answer. the seat i'm on now is a SSM Azoto trigel. it doesn't work for my ars, now matter how i position the seat. after about 30 min of riding, my package goes num. it puts too much pressure in the "chode" area, as with all of the saddles i've tried. i now its hard to make use of other peoples opinions on saddles, but do you all think the Arione may help me out?

Originally posted by ktm520
man, i am getting tired of buying seats, but this one looks like it may be my answer. the seat i'm on now is a SSM Azoto trigel. it doesn't work for my ars, now matter how i position the seat. after about 30 min of riding, my package goes num. it puts too much pressure in the "chode" area, as with all of the saddles i've tried. i now its hard to make use of other peoples opinions on saddles, but do you all think the Arione may help me out?
LoL; I have chode issues as well. I've tried hard and soft saddles, with little success -- the ***** tends to go numb between the 20 and 30 mile mark. Like you, I've always felt it was all about finding a saddle that didn't compress that soft, central crotch area... all my previous saddles have sported cutouts, which (as I theorized in another saddle thread) I've decided might be the problem for me.

I'm thinking edges are working against me; on saddles with rigid cutouts, like the Selle Italias, the slots seem to just end up giving my soft zone two more stiff edges to be pressed against. On softer performance saddles, like the Men's Terry Firefly I'm using right now, the cutouts just collapse into fleshy masses that redistribute pressure away from my bones and right into my blood vessels and nerves.

A well-crafted, low-padding, smooth-top, supportive and flexible saddle with generous surface area, "give" potential, no cutouts and no gel packs would have to be my next option, right? I was thinking about an SLR or a Fizik Pave, but the Arione hype has sucked me in.

I'm giving it a shot. Placed an order yesterday. I recently ordered a Pave for my commuter, and I'll put the Arione on my Klein; we'll see what happens. Wish me and my chode luck.

Originally posted by lokstah
LoL; I have chode issues as well. I've tried hard and soft saddles, with little success -- the ***** tends to go numb between the 20 and 30 mile mark. Like you, I've always felt it was all about finding a saddle that didn't compress that soft, central crotch area... all my previous saddles have sported cutouts, which (as I theorized in another saddle thread) I've decided might be the problem for me.

I'm thinking edges are working against me; on saddles with rigid cutouts, like the Selle Italias, the slots seem to just end up giving my soft zone two more stiff edges to be pressed against. On softer performance saddles, like the Men's Terry Firefly I'm using right now, the cutouts just collapse into fleshy masses that redistribute pressure away from my bones and right into my blood vessels and nerves.

A well-crafted, low-padding, smooth-top, supportive and flexible saddle with generous surface area, "give" potential, no cutouts and no gel packs would have to be my next option, right? I was thinking about an SLR or a Fizik Pave, but the Arione hype has sucked me in.

I'm giving it a shot. Placed an order yesterday. I recently ordered a Pave for my commuter, and I'll put the Arione on my Klein; we'll see what happens. Wish me and my chode luck.

i'll wish you luck, but i'm not commenting on your chode. please post back your opinion on the seat. i've been dealing with the numbness for too longth. that can't be good for the reporductive orgins.

Suppossedly Fizik markets the Arione as a mountainstage saddle that will give you more riding positions when riding upwards..... I´m not sure that will help against "numbnuttssrome" for a recreational rider. Unless ofcourse you are willing to move around alot thus messing with your pedalling position.
That said I´ve just held one in my hands today and it´s very flexy and has a very wide centerline base which is exactly what usually gives me that numbness (the wide center area) so I´m curios to hear what you think when you´ve ridden it for a while.

Originally posted by mrowkoob
Suppossedly Fizik markets the Arione as a mountainstage saddle that will give you more riding positions when riding upwards..... I´m not sure that will help against "numbnuttssrome" for a recreational rider. Unless ofcourse you are willing to move around alot thus messing with your pedalling position.
That said I´ve just held one in my hands today and it´s very flexy and has a very wide centerline base which is exactly what usually gives me that numbness (the wide center area) so I´m curios to hear what you think when you´ve ridden it for a while.
Well, they're playing lots of different marketing angles with it. The climbing angle is related to Simoni, mostly; it's a little heavy to be marketed strictly as a climber's tool. The biggest angle I've seen them play, and the one touted in the reviews out there, is that it's got a fresh philosophy to it and is comfier for most butts.

Plenty of crit riders and sprinters have picked it up.

We'll just have to see. After all, it's a new thing. I'll be sure to report.

I recently bought the Arione in a final attempt to combat my discomfort on the bike. I've only done three rides of about 8 hours duration but it seems to be the answer to my problems.

The feature that really works for me is the flatter profile, which lessens the pressure on my perineum area.

I can't detect the benefit of the 'wingflex' sides at the moment but, as the link above states, this may come after a sufficient break-in period.

By the way have you seen Igor Astarloas Arione in white with WC stripes, very funky

Originally posted by mrowkoob
By the way have you seen Igor Astarloas Arione in white with WC stripes, very funky
I bought that version! Glorycycles seems to be the only online retailer selling it. It's definitely funky.

I like funky. Plus, I needed a white or silver saddle for this bike. I'll have to deal with the world champ stripes.

:)

fyi, i just got into doing triathalons last summer, so the majority of my time is spent training in the aero position.

hey guys...if you've tried out the arione and have good or bad luck with it...PLEASE let us know, if it's ok to you, how much you weight; as well as any previous saddle that you've tried before you got onto the arione.
A rider's size, weight and height, might help to give us an idea, albeit a very cloudy one, to compare it to our situation.
Thanks,

Here she is... pretty ballsy, no? If it messes up my bike's aesthetic too much, I'm just going to have to trade it for a black one. Fingers crossed.

just rode the Arione tonight for the 1st time on a Computrainer. I'm, 5'8", 155 lbs. I tell this because I think body conformation makes a difference in terms of what saddle might work for you. I found the Arione quite comfortable, but think it might need to be adjusted fore-aft differently based on the extra length. Not sure yet, but would welcome some comments on the subject.

Just returned the Arione after 300 excruciating miles.

The width is great for the bone set but the "wings" are quite severe resulting in bad chafing/cuts. The alliante has more of a roll-off providing more clearance for quads.

where did you buy your seat from that is allowing you to return it?? i just bought a Cervelo Dual, and i got fitted with the SSM Aspide Tri. i've only done about 30min of spinning on my trainer, but i think it is going to work out pretty well for me.