Fizik Arionne for someone who is measured as 143mm?

wcngu1

Aug 13, 2006
I went to my Local LBS to check out the Specialized toupe and Fizik Arionne and I was measured to be around 143mm and the staff member immediately recommended me the Fizik Arionne? I thought the arionne was 132mm and that if I was a 143mm butt then it would be unfortable and not recommended? I"m a bit confused :confused: Maybe I should go for the specialized toupe 143mm?

All i can say is that I have wider sit bones (don't know the exact measurement), and I don't like my Arione all that much. Sorry, that's all the advice I can give.

They don't measure sitbones the same way they test for prostate cancer do they? :eek:

Well, the only way to answer is to get an Arione and ride it, and see if you find it comfortable.

Was not aware that shops are measuring bums and recommending saddles...

Powerful Pete said:
Well, the only way to answer is to get an Arione and ride it, and see if you find it comfortable.

Was not aware that shops are measuring bums and recommending saddles...
Specialized have this foam-gel thing which can measure sitbone width. The shop owner will offer whatever makes the most $$$

Aha, and this foam gel thing takes into account your position on your bike? :rolleyes:

Not poking fun at you Bobby, but this pseudo-stuff is getting out of hand... makes you wonder how anyone ever dialed in their riding position before all of this...

Powerful Pete said:
Aha, and this foam gel thing takes into account your position on your bike? :rolleyes:

Not poking fun at you Bobby, but this pseudo-stuff is getting out of hand... makes you wonder how anyone ever dialed in their riding position before all of this...
haha damnit I guess that pad measuring thing doesnt help that much after all :(

Powerful Pete said:

no offence taken. I believe it is a specialized marketing gimmick. I love my Arione, and I believe nothing can replicate your position on your bike, except your bike. Sitbones change vastly as you roll forwards and backwards, sliding forwards and backwards too. I took a chance with my arione, but it is perfect and very comfy, even after 100+km

bobbyOCR said:
no offence taken. I believe it is a specialized marketing gimmick. I love my Arione, and I believe nothing can replicate your position on your bike, except your bike. Sitbones change vastly as you roll forwards and backwards, sliding forwards and backwards too. I took a chance with my arione, but it is perfect and very comfy, even after 100+km
What I"ve noticed about the fizik arione and speciazlied toupe is that people have changed from the fizik arionne to the toupe always say the toupe fits them better. I have never seen a single person who has said the Arionne is more comfortable than the Toupe. I've seen no complaints so far about the Specialized Toupe but have seen many complain about the Fizik. This of course may be due to the various people not positioning their saddle properly and what have you but the positive vibe you get form people who have the toupe is hard to ignore :D check this out http://cyclingforums.com/t296171.html :eek:

Well, most guys I know around here love their Arione. Have never seen a Toupe (might not market them in Italy?).

In any event, let me recommend that you try them both and use the one that your bum likes better.

Happy shopping and riding!

The gel foam fitting pad from Specialized IS useful. You sit on it (if the shop knows what they are doing) bent over in the position in which you ride. This way you DO get a proper measurement.

However, there are other factors like top curve (domed or flat).

I am quite slim and tried the Arione and it was terrible for me (even though everyone else likes it). I then measured myself on the Specialized foam and it suggested a 143 seat which I ordered.
I am not much more comfortable.

The other day I thought my saddle was a little too narrow for me... till I realised someone had stole it...