FL Bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    Freeride Lite Bikes.

    The next mtb trend.

    Discuss.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Sounds like XC FS bikes, but maybe less efficent going up hill.

    Matt

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I guess mine might qualify if I put a 5" travel fork on the front.

    Jon Bond
    4.5back/4front right now...

  4. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.
    >
    > - CA-G

    I read this also in one of those crazy MTB magazines. It says the Cannondale Jekyll 1000 qualifies
    as a Freeride Lite because it has over 5 inches of travel and it weighs between 25 and 30 pounds. I
    guess that means the Specialized Enduro is a FL bike too.

    There MIGHT be a new class emerging... but when I read this I just lumped FL bikes in with the
    current blend of "All-mountain" mountain bikes. In my perverse opinion, I would like to see this
    trend continue as long as the bikes keep getting lighter. It used to be cool to have a light
    mountain bike with short travel, now it's cool to have a heavy mountain bike with lots of travel.
    Maybe the next logical step is to have a light mountain bike with lots of travel.

    -John Morgan

  5. > I guess mine might qualify if I put a 5" travel fork on the front.

    > Jon Bond
    > 4.5back/4front right now...

    Well, size ALWAYS matters...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:

    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Is this so its easier to lift onto the rack for the drive up the hill? That's how republicans
    "mountain bike". ;-)

    Shawn

  7. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:57:44 +0000, Carla A-G wrote:

    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.

    If you take 'Freeride' as the marketed hype that it is, and label it in with big 7 inch bikes with
    two chainrings and a bash guard, then I doubt you could have a FL bike. Anything light wouldnt stand
    up to the abuse, of 20 foot drops and North Shore riding, in my opinion.

    But if 'Freeride' means what we do everyday then I guess a FL bike is something that is light enough
    to ride everywhere all day but take some sort of punishment, and, like John says, that would include
    your Jekyll's, Enduro's, Epic's (?), I-drives et all.

    Just my 2c.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  8. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Carla A-G said...

    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.

    Could be. I describe my MTB philosophy as a sort of heavy duty XC-- basically an XC bike built up
    with heavy enough parts that you don't have to put up with flexy, breakable parts. I'm putting the
    finishing touches on a Titus Loco-Moto that I bought last week after destroying the frame on my
    bargain bike. I have a 5" travel Fox Vanilla on the front and 4.75" travel on the back. Weighs
    about 29 lbs.

  9. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Could be. I describe my MTB philosophy as a sort of heavy duty XC-- basically an XC bike built up
    > with heavy enough parts that you don't have to put up with flexy, breakable parts. I'm putting the
    > finishing touches on a Titus Loco-Moto that I bought last week after destroying the frame on my
    > bargain bike. I have a 5" travel Fox Vanilla on the front and 4.75" travel on the back. Weighs
    > about 29 lbs.

    Sounds exactly like MY philosphy before building up a 30 pound Loco-Moto with a Fox Vanilla on the
    front. Luckily, I realized the error of my ways and went back to basics with a nice light hardtail.
    Believing in that hype only caused me to lose $1000.

    -John Morgan

    Enjoy.

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    It's a new catchy acronym for heavy duty XC, isn't it? I can certainly see it being a new
    category from a marketing and sales point of view. And it types/rolls off the tongue easier than
    heavy duty XC...

    I see the Enduro's, GT Ruckus's (Rucki?) and the Giant VT1's certainly seem to be firmly in the
    heavy duty XC end of the range. Does that leave any room for another category? You're going to have
    to define a new category simply by existence or non-existence of chainrings and bashguards! I would
    have thought that pretty much everything that would be on a bike in this 'new' class can be seen
    elsewhere in 'other' existing categories. I don't see that it's needed but I can see it catching on.
    --
    Westie

  11. I can see this catching on, from a marketing standpoint, but I see it as "Black Diamond Lite", which
    will in course of time turn in to "Beer Bike" That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it, logic or
    no logic ;-)

    Steve

  12. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    John Morgan said...

    > Sounds exactly like MY philosphy before building up a 30 pound Loco-Moto with a Fox Vanilla on the
    > front. Luckily, I realized the error of my ways and went back to basics with a nice light
    > hardtail. Believing in that hype only caused me to lose $1000.
    >
    > -John Morgan
    >
    > Enjoy.

    What, no full rigid SS? A Loco-Moto is a relatively lightweight frame and you will only save 2-3 lbs
    going to a hardtail. It isn't all that expensive either. You can spend as much on a hardtail frame.
    Pedal bob can be dealt with by using a lockout or with some of the newer so-called stable platform
    shocks, though I haven't tried them so I can't vouch for them. I find that cranking up the rebound
    dampening eliminates 90% of pedal bob if it starts to bug me.

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >
    > The next mtb trend.
    >
    > Discuss.

    There's no such thing in existence other than for the label itself.

    What label would you tag my bike with? - It's a 14/15" rather sloped top tube 'jump' type HT frame,
    4" Bombers, 2.6 tyres, heavy duty rims, wide 'DH' bars, short but high stem with loooong seat post
    (for a distance riding position), DS saddle, disc front V's rear, triple by 9 gears, can take quite
    big drops (but I can't) and hold up to a damned good beating, weighs in at around _36lb_.

    I mean, there are so many bikes out there with differences in design, do we 'invent' a category
    for each one?

    Shaun aRe

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > There's no such thing in existence other than for the label itself.
    > >
    > > What label would you tag my bike with?
    >
    > A tank.

    Yes, but one of the quicker ones ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  17. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Freeride Lite Bikes.
    >>
    >>The next mtb trend.
    >>
    >>Discuss.
    >

    > Bullshit marketing ploy.
    >
    > JD

    Isn't that redundant?

    Shawn

  18. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Shaun Rimmer said...

    > What label would you tag my bike with? - It's a 14/15" rather sloped top tube 'jump' type HT
    > frame, 4" Bombers, 2.6 tyres, heavy duty rims, wide 'DH' bars, short but high stem with loooong
    > seat post (for a distance riding position), DS saddle, disc front V's rear, triple by 9 gears,
    > can take quite big drops (but I can't) and hold up to a damned good beating, weighs in at
    > around _36lb_.
    >
    > I mean, there are so many bikes out there with differences in design, do we 'invent' a category
    > for each one?

    So that's where they got the idea for those Jeep bikes.

  19. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > What, no full rigid SS? A Loco-Moto is a relatively lightweight frame and you will only save 2-3
    > lbs going to a hardtail. It isn't all that expensive either. You can spend as much on a hardtail
    > frame. Pedal bob can be dealt with by using a lockout or with some of the newer so-called stable
    > platform shocks, though I haven't tried them so I can't vouch for them. I find that cranking up
    > the rebound dampening eliminates 90% of pedal bob if it starts to bug me.

    Well the Loco frame isn't overly heavy by itself... but I went with your philosophy by building it
    up tough. Too tough, in my case. I went with heavy parts and got a heavy bike. The lockout helped
    but the setup of the bike wasn't suited for climbing. The frame was a size too small (I normally
    ride an XL, and I got a L), and the riser bars put me in a horrible position for climbing. Plus, I
    never got used to lugging that 30 pound beast uphill. (I know some people do just fine with 35 pound
    FR bikes after they adapt to them). It was a great bike for going downhill... and even held its own
    on the flats... but I dreaded pedalling that thing uphill. I hated it so bad I stopped riding for
    three months. It just wasn't me.

    But just so you don't get the wrong idea... I hope you love your Loco. May you have countless hours
    of fun. =)

    -John Morgan