FL Bikes

> Was this printed somewhere? Or did you think of this?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

It was printed in the latest copy of Mountain Bike Action, if I recall...

At least I think it was MBA... because Mountain Bike Magazine uses "Black Diamond" instead of the
term "Freeride" ...I dunno, they all spew the same flavor of bike magazine opinion it's hard to tell
them apart.

-John Morgan

Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer said...
>
> > What label would you tag my bike with? - It's a 14/15" rather sloped top tube 'jump' type HT
> > frame, 4" Bombers, 2.6 tyres, heavy duty rims, wide
'DH'
> > bars, short but high stem with loooong seat post (for a distance riding position), DS saddle,
> > disc front V's rear, triple by 9 gears, can take
quite
> > big drops (but I can't) and hold up to a damned good beating, weighs in
at
> > around _36lb_.
> >
> > I mean, there are so many bikes out there with differences in design, do
we
> > 'invent' a category for each one?
>
> So that's where they got the idea for those Jeep bikes.

I was going to tell you to stop being ridiculous, then I realised you don't have that choice, so, as
you were then.

Shaun aRe loving his custom'ised' BASE Beast.

Shaun Rimmer said...

> I was going to tell you to stop being ridiculous, then I realised you don't have that choice, so,
> as you were then.

No really, I think you should sue.

John Morgan said...

> Well the Loco frame isn't overly heavy by itself... but I went with your philosophy by building it
> up tough. Too tough, in my case. I went with heavy parts and got a heavy bike. The lockout helped
> but the setup of the bike wasn't suited for climbing. The frame was a size too small (I normally
> ride an XL, and I got a L), and the riser bars put me in a horrible position for climbing. Plus, I
> never got used to lugging that 30 pound beast uphill. (I know some people do just fine with 35
> pound FR bikes after they adapt to them). It was a great bike for going downhill... and even held
> its own on the flats... but I dreaded pedalling that thing uphill. I hated it so bad I stopped
> riding for three months. It just wasn't me.
>
> But just so you don't get the wrong idea... I hope you love your Loco. May you have countless
> hours of fun. =)
>
> -John Morgan

No doubt about it, pounds do matter, even if you aren't racing, and a hardtail will be hard to beat
climbing. I'm hoping to knock off another pound by the time I am finished with my Loco-Moto ending
up at about 28lbs, but it might not happen. It's hard to get a FS bike much lower than that without
spending stupid amounts of money and compromising rigidity and durability. SID forks spring to mind.
I will admit I am far from a great climber. For one thing, I avoid clipless pedals. But mainly I
just want a bike that is reliable that won't ruin a day with a breakdown on the trail and put
another hole in my wallet fixing it.

When I broke the frame that the Loco-Moto replaced I was 7 miles from the trailhead an hour before
sunset in a national forest. A fecking nightmare. It would have made for a really depressing RR.

Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer said...
>
> > I was going to tell you to stop being ridiculous, then I realised you
don't
> > have that choice, so, as you were then.
>
> No really, I think you should sue.

You think I should what? Oh, and my name's 'Shaun' - HTH.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer said...

> You think I should what? Oh, and my name's 'Shaun' - HTH.
>

> Shaun aRe

If you were Johnny Cash's son, you might have been named Sue. Then you would have grown up tough,
like a good American should be.

Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer said...
>
> > You think I should what? Oh, and my name's 'Shaun' - HTH.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> If you were Johnny Cash's son, you might have been named Sue. Then you would have grown up tough,
> like a good American should be.

I am the epitome of tough. I am toughness incarnate. Grrrrrr.

Shaun aRe