Flag Folly :)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Succorso, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Football? Bloody /football?/ I thought it was for the cricketers! Whatever
    > happened to the "football season" and the blessed relief of football-free
    > months in summer?

    I believe the fact that the English national team actually managed to
    get to the immediately upcoming European Championships rather than their
    former habit of losing 3-0 to the Albanian 3rd team when they could get
    by with only losing by 2 is cause for National Celebration and a degree
    of (probably undue) optimism that more glory will be forthcoming.

    Couldn't give a damn about fitba myself, but I gather the above case
    from the (Scottish) Sun patriotically announcing its support for Croatia
    this morning!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  2. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > Succorso wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/3785601.stm

    > Football? Bloody /football?/ I thought it was for the cricketers!
    > Whatever happened to the "football season" and the blessed relief of
    > football-free months in summer?

    Keep up, Guy. It expandeth, in the same way as Saarf London[1]

    1 - which is marked "Here be dragons" on my map. I am reliably informed
    that Kit Marlowe's body is /still/ lying in a puddle in Deptford, though his
    pockets are, of course, now empty ;-)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. Dave Larrington wrote:

    > [sarf lunnon] marked "Here be dragons" on my map.

    Hah! Rumbled! You are not, after all a Nut Miner, but the common or garden
    Cabbie!

    --
    Guy
    ===

    Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

  4. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    >
    >> [sarf lunnon] marked "Here be dragons" on my map.

    > Hah! Rumbled! You are not, after all a Nut Miner, but the common or
    > garden Cabbie!

    Nonse. It's bad enuff that the Nut Mines are located just saarf of the
    river. This locality is fairly free from dragons but on a clear day you can
    see the smoke. Or rather you could until They built a block of flats next
    door, thus depriving us of the last vestiges of natural daylight. It's like
    working at the bottom of a bloody well. Or, indeed, a mine shaft.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:44:41 +0100, Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Keep up, Guy. It expandeth, in the same way as Saarf London[1]
    >
    > 1 - which is marked "Here be dragons" on my map. I am reliably informed
    > that Kit Marlowe's body is /still/ lying in a puddle in Deptford, though his
    > pockets are, of course, now empty ;-)

    Well, experience the Elephant and Castle and get down the Old Kent Road
    on Saturday and come to Burgess Park to the bike track.
    (Have I mentioned the bike track before? Grin.)

  6. John Hearns wrote:

    > Well, experience the Elephant and Castle and get down the Old Kent
    > Road on Saturday and come to Burgess Park to the bike track.
    > (Have I mentioned the bike track before? Grin.)

    I had to go through there /last/ weekend. One visit per month is more than
    enough ;-)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    > > Football? Bloody /football?/ I thought it was for the cricketers! Whatever
    > > happened to the "football season" and the blessed relief of football-free
    > > months in summer?

    > I believe the fact that the English national team actually managed to
    > get to the immediately upcoming European Championships rather than their
    > former habit of losing 3-0 to the Albanian 3rd team when they could get
    > by with only losing by 2 is cause for National Celebration and a degree
    > of (probably undue) optimism that more glory will be forthcoming.
    >
    > Couldn't give a damn about fitba myself, but I gather the above case
    > from the (Scottish) Sun patriotically announcing its support for Croatia
    > this morning!

    Not a hint of sour grapes?? ;-)

    I'll be flying one from my MTB for the South Downs Randonee on
    Saturday, the day before le Grand Match