flags-or-bashed by a bus in Berlin

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Patton, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Tom Patton

    Tom Patton Guest

    Hi all. Just back to Scotland from 10 days in Berlin. For 15 years I ve rode Berlin streets on my
    recumbent trikes. This year I did nt get a flag-it scares the horses in my rural retreat. Imagine my
    surprise when a bus turned right onto my cycle lane-with nowhere to go my trike was crammed against
    the bus-something had to give-my front wheel and hub. The bus driver was white as a sheet he
    expected to see a badly injured cyclist-"I did nt see you" he said-and fortunately-repeated it to
    the police. Being Berlin all the passengers were invited to leave the bus and I got a bus ride
    home!-which was just as well as my trike now had 2 wheels and I can walk a hundred yards on a good
    day. Thanks to Allan Baumont of GNAT recumbents and Kinetics of Glasgow a hub-rim and spokes were
    united and I went for a spin today-no flag of course-but-Ill use one in Berlin!.

    Tags:

  2. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Tom,

    Glad you're safe. Amazing that you weren't injured--or worse. What I don't understand is why anyone who lived in Scotland would want to bike anywhere else!!!

    Chicagoland Canto rider,
    Ben

    :cool:

  3. Tom Patton

    Tom Patton Guest

    Hi Ben. I like to sample other cultures now I ve retired. My present GNAT has done 9000 miles in
    several countries. It folds up into a bag 3 feetx3 feetx1 foot-weighs 40lbs. I ve only been charged
    once for my bike-a Trice [paid 40 dollars for 6000 miles]when I toured round Florida-almost shot
    dead twice! Ive used it to travel in
    Crete-Switzerland-Germany-France-Holland-Belgium-Spain-Checkia-Tenneriffe and Gomera. I am really
    fortunate where I live I can travel on quiet country lanes along bike paths or canal paths and of
    course up very steep hills!-great views. There s nothing better than riding in a big beautifull
    international city like Berlin-its so full of contrasts-the beautifull Tiergarten or the crazy
    train-bus centre-the Zoo-[where the bus hit me]the stunning island of museums-the terrifying Stazi
    centre on the rightly named Russia Str. I ride for pleasure at a leasurely pace.My considerable
    experience has lead me to buy well tried "agricultural" components-eg Sachs 7x3 hub rear- Sturmey
    Archer wheelchair brake hubs front- with easily obtained rims and tyres-20 inch all round-amazingly
    enough all the drive train is still going strong after 9000 miles although the wheels have been
    rebuilt at least twice. I would certainly have been injured seriously-on a conventional upright-the
    hub and wheel took the full impact and protected my body.

    > Glad you're safe. Amazing that you weren't injured--or worse. What I don't understand is why
    > anyone who lived in Scotland would want to bike anywhere else!!!
    >
    > Chicagoland Canto rider, Ben
    >

    > :cool:

  4. "tom patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > :
    > Hi Ben. Ive used it to travel in
    > Crete-Switzerland-Germany-France-Holland-Belgium-Spain-Checkia-Tenneriffe and Gomera.

    I'm glad you're OK.

    I noticed that you haven't been to Denmark yet, I suggest you bring the flag if you do. I almost got
    creamed by a truck this Wednesday. He didn't blink, didn't look, just turned right over a (blue
    painted for visibility!) bike track. I don't have a horn, but my yelling woke him up. We exchanged
    politenesses (?) as he meant it was my fault, quote : "I coudnt see you because you lay down on the
    bike" - I rode in a flouroscent orange jacket. I guess he creams kids on bikes on a regular basis.

    I'm sad i didn't note the license number - I was too furious to think about that.

    Take care out there. Torben

  5. Tom Patton

    Tom Patton Guest

    Hi Torben. Ross Lowell of Greenspeed fame toured Denmark and made an inspirational video of his
    travels. I certainly have got Denmark on my "must do" list as it has an excellent reputation for
    cycling. Sorry to hear about the truck. Sadly the only bad experience I ve had on my travels has
    been less than 1 hour away-when a massive gravel truck backed up 100 yards so a fellow Scot- truck
    driver-could swear at me and my trike-I think being "unusual" really winds up some people. Tom

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "tom patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > :
    > > Hi Ben. Ive used it to travel in

    Crete-Switzerland-Germany-France-Holland-Belgium-Spain-Checkia-Tenneriffe
    > > and Gomera.
    >
    > I'm glad you're OK.
    >
    > I noticed that you haven't been to Denmark yet, I suggest you bring the
    flag
    > if you do. I almost got creamed by a truck this Wednesday. He didn't
    blink,
    > didn't look, just turned right over a (blue painted for visibility!) bike track. I don't have a
    > horn, but my yelling woke him up. We exchanged politenesses (?) as he meant it was my fault, quote
    > : "I coudnt see you because you lay down on the bike" - I rode in a flouroscent orange jacket.
    > guess he creams kids on bikes on a regular basis.
    >
    > I'm sad i didn't note the license number - I was too furious to think
    about
    > that.
    >
    > Take care out there. Torben

  6. John

    John Guest

    "...when I toured round Florida-almost shot dead twice!" Could you possibly explain that?