Flakey wheel builder

bluedog18

Jun 27, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't want to take this route by making this public matter but the other alternative is legal action. I had custom wheel set built and supposable shipped on may 15 and today is june 28 and still no wheels. I’ve repeatedly ask for the tracking number, I’m either ignored or told he’ll give me the number later or next day which then I don’t hear anything for another week or two or he looking into the matter with the shipping, but again nothing from him. He has my $1000 and my Chris King hub set, personally I’m starting to think that he just pocket my money and sold my hubs. Since with no tracking number I can’t check myself to prove if he shipped it or not. I’ve called and email but rarely ever hear anything back. I’ve contacted local bike shops near his shop and they have never heard of him or the shop.

Asking if anyone would be able to help me in this matter before I take legal action, The guy’s name is Marcus Collibolletti, I believe that is the correct spelling of his last name but I can’t not find anyone in the world with the same last name which to me sounds odd. The company’s name is Cherry Valley Wheel Works located in Beaumont, CA. I do have the shop’s phone number and address and I have Marcus email but I’m looking for additional information that would help in contracting him so I can settle this matter. Another bit of information I got from talking to city officials in Beaumont and was told that Cherry Valley Wheel Works is own by Mark Hoskin, which I cannot find any additional information on him either other than a compliant about him stiffing some money from a guy on mountain bike review a couple of years back. The biggest problem is I’m located on the east coast and he’s in Beaumont, CA. Also I've been told by other that Mark and Marcus are the same person.

Any information please PM me

I hate to rub salt in the wound, but I have no useful information...

But I am curious how you selected a California based wheel builder without any reputation to go on, especially for $1,000, and using your hubs.

I hope you get satisfaction out of this, but you may be limited to small claims court due to the low value (I know it is a lot to you and me, but not to the legal system), which could make it tough to collect.

If you sent the hubs, money or both via US Postal Service you could also see about pursuing mail fraud, but this won't work if you did not use the Postal Service.

BTW - I am not a lawyer, so my interpretation of the small claims court etc may not be valid.

I can't provide any information either but this is a great example of why it is good sense to learn how to build your own wheels and get good at it. I hope you get your wheels, or at least your money and hubs back. Good luck!

kdelong said:
I can't provide any information either but this is a great example of why it is good sense to learn how to build your own wheels and get good at it [...]Good luck!
That was very helpful.

kdelong said:
I can't provide any information either but this is a great example of why it is good sense to learn how to build your own wheels and get good at it. I hope you get your wheels, or at least your money and hubs back. Good luck!
Sorry, but I disagree. While it is good for one to know how to build wheels, it is not feasible for the majority of the riders out there. What is needed is to do a bit of research on the wheel builder, and ensure that the builder is credible and reputed before you fork over hubs/money. I'm sure that there are a number of people in this forum who have had their wheels built by reputed people, and are quite happy with their wheels.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, you can dispute it with the card issuer and they'll take the money back from the merchant and re-credit your account for it - this is called a "chargeback".

oldbobcat said:
That was very helpful.

Thanks for that :D I needed a good laugh. I can fix everything on bike except build wheels and that might be a good idea down the road. I have talked to my CC and disputing the charges. Some people had let me know that he has gotten wind of my postings and he call me about my wheels and it was one excuse after another. He told me he would refund my CC and return my hubs and ship them over night express today. But as of yet I have not heard from him or recieve a tracking number. At this point I will beleive him once I receive my money and hubs. Will update later

bluedog18 said:
Thanks for that :D I needed a good laugh. I can fix everything on bike except build wheels and that might be a good idea down the road. I have talked to my CC and disputing the charges. Some people had let me know that he has gotten wind of my postings and he call me about my wheels and it was one excuse after another. He told me he would refund my CC and return my hubs and ship them over night express today. But as of yet I have not heard from him or recieve a tracking number. At this point I will beleive him once I receive my money and hubs. Will update later
Keep us updated. Even if you get back your hubs and money, it is clear that this character is a conman, and I would suggest alerting the community (through whatever forums you're a member of or through a blog if you keep one) to avoid doing business with him.

WHY was he charging so much for the wheel build?!?

Were you having "special" rims laced to your hubs which he had to order which he may still be waiting for?

They were being lace to carbon rims. And no he wasn't waiting on for the rims to come in. They were supposely built and shipped.

bluedog18 said:
They were being lace to carbon rims. And no he wasn't waiting on for the rims to come in. They were supposely built and shipped.
FWIW. I understand your distress ...

BUT (not to defend the wheelbuilder), he probably was/(is still) waiting for the rims & was stalling (i.e. consequently, lying).

I hope that you do get your hubs back in the next day-or-two.

alfeng said:
FWIW. I understand your distress ...

BUT (not to defend the wheelbuilder), he probably was/(is still) waiting for the rims & was stalling (i.e. consequently, lying).

I hope that you do get your hubs back in the next day-or-two.
Waiting for the rims for 1.5+ months?

TheDarkLord said:
Waiting for the rims for 1.5+ months?
Well, that IS a long time ...

BUT, the order could have come in the middle of a production run ... so, if the rims have a "special" drilling (standard 28h & 32h drilling would probably be "special"), then it could be a (few) month(s) more before any additional 'blank' rims are available.

AND/OR, you have to figure the rims are coming from Taiwan, so they could very well be in-transit OR they could be sitting on the dock in Long Beach in a cargo container waiting to be cleared by Homeland Security OR for the importer to pay off the Union/whomever to get the container cleared-through-Customs in a timely manner. Not everything is FedEx'd/DHL'd/UPS'd/however from there to here.

alfeng said:
Well, that IS a long time ...

BUT, the order could have come in the middle of a production run ... so, if the rims have a "special" drilling (standard 28h & 32h drilling would probably be "special"), then it could be a (few) month(s) more before any additional 'blank' rims are available.

AND/OR, you have to figure the rims are coming from Taiwan, so they could very well be in-transit OR they could be sitting on the dock in Long Beach in a cargo container waiting to be cleared by Homeland Security OR for the importer to pay off the Union/whomever to get the container cleared-through-Customs in a timely manner. Not everything is FedEx'd/DHL'd/UPS'd/however from there to here.
The key to handling such an issue would be honest communication with the customer...

TheDarkLord said:
The key to handling such an issue would be honest communication with the customer...
ABSOLUTELY!

Shame on Marcus Collibolletti and/or Cherry Valley Wheel Works plus ALL other retailers & vendors (e.g., SRAM) for poor communication OR especially for indifferent customer service ...

I think if the poster here is accurate, then the vendor is a flake.

First, the wheels are in transit...

Now, the hubs are in transit, and the CC will be credited...

The second would be pretty impossible if the first were true.