Flamin dangerous sport this Mtn Biking....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trentus, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    Riding home from work on a cycle path, minding my own business, I catch out of the corner of my eye
    a glimpse of a bug about to hit me (or me about to hit it) but never had a problem with the odd bug
    before so I don't even take evasive action. Smack I feel it hit me on the chest, on the bare skin
    above my collar, just below the throat. Ouch, that hurt I thinks to myself. Then two seconds later,
    IT REALLY HURT, as the little bastard, which I now know was probably a wasp of some sort, decides to
    get revenge for being smacked in the head by a 40Km/h cyclist, by stinging me!

    6 hours later, the area is still hurting, and looking impressively "big red lump" like.

    Bloody dangerous sport!! If it's not those clipless pedals, it's the flamin wildlife!

    Well that'll teach me to be using a Mtn Bike for commuting through the suburbs when I should be
    using it in the bush. I think my bike was feeling a bit miffed with me for subjecting her to such
    humiliation as to be used for commuting, so called up some retribution.

    Well, early to bed, and hope I don't find myself having any sorts of nasty reaction.

    Trentus

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Trentus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Riding home from work on a cycle path, minding my own business, I catch out of the corner of my
    > eye a glimpse of a bug about to hit me (or me about to hit it) but never had a problem with the
    > odd bug before so I don't even take evasive action. Smack I feel it hit me on the chest, on the
    > bare skin above my collar, just below the throat. Ouch, that hurt I thinks to myself. Then two
    > seconds later, IT REALLY
    HURT,
    > as the little bastard, which I now know was probably a wasp of some sort, decides to get revenge
    > for being smacked in the head by a 40Km/h cyclist, by stinging me!
    >
    > 6 hours later, the area is still hurting, and looking impressively "big
    red
    > lump" like.
    >
    > Bloody dangerous sport!! If it's not those clipless pedals, it's the flamin wildlife!
    >
    > Well that'll teach me to be using a Mtn Bike for commuting through the suburbs when I should be
    > using it in the bush. I think my bike was feeling a bit miffed with me for subjecting her to such
    > humiliation as to be used for commuting, so called up some retribution.
    >
    > Well, early to bed, and hope I don't find myself having any sorts of nasty reaction.
    >
    > Trentus

    Trentus, you are a living disaster area.

    Shaun aRe

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >6 hours later, the area is still hurting, and looking impressively "big red lump" like.

    This is gonna sound like something from the edge if you've never experienced
    it... but there is a possibility that that sting could be one in a series of stings that is
    progressively increasing your bod's sensitivity (and reaction) to same.

    Next time you get stung, be alert for a more severe reaction and try to be around people you
    can rely on.

    Been there, done that... had three docs from the ER process take me aside on separate occasions to
    tell me how close I'd come to buying the farm...

    iu/when the med techs come to cart you off, you'll need IV saline ASAP, and as much as fast as
    possible. "Sit on the bag if you can" was the advice I got.

    It's called anaphylactic shock. Not a bad way to go, actually - a little nausea, but otherwise
    painless....
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Riding home from work on a cycle path, minding my own business, I catch out of the corner of my
    > eye a glimpse of a bug about to hit me (or me about to hit it) but never had a problem with the
    > odd bug before so I don't even take evasive action. Smack I feel it hit me on the chest, on the
    > bare skin above my collar, just below the throat. Ouch, that hurt I thinks to myself. Then two
    > seconds later, IT REALLY
    HURT,
    > as the little bastard, which I now know was probably a wasp of some sort, decides to get revenge
    > for being smacked in the head by a 40Km/h cyclist, by stinging me!

    {snip}

    Reminds me of when I was a kid, riding my 10-speed steed on Sligo Creek Parkway in Silver
    Spring, Maryland.

    Jamming along, I spot a HUGE bumble bee going the same way I am. Sure enough, I catch him from
    behind (I was fast once, apparently), which means HIS behind is now grinding into my engorged (you
    read too many smut novels) thigh muscle.

    After veering into traffic and somehow surviving, I pedal home stifling tears. Within 5 minutes I
    have a freakin' football-sized lump on my leg.

    Bill "I hate bees" S.

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Riding home from work on a cycle path, minding my own business, I catch out of the corner of my
    > eye a glimpse of a bug about to hit me (or me about to hit it) but never had a problem with the
    > odd bug before so I don't even take evasive action. Smack I feel it hit me on the chest, on the
    > bare skin above my collar, just below the throat. Ouch, that hurt I thinks to myself. Then two
    > seconds later, IT REALLY HURT, as the little bastard, which I now know was probably a wasp of some
    > sort, decides to get revenge for being smacked in the head by a 40Km/h cyclist, by stinging me!
    >
    > 6 hours later, the area is still hurting, and looking impressively "big red lump" like.
    >
    > Bloody dangerous sport!! If it's not those clipless pedals, it's the flamin wildlife!
    >
    > Well that'll teach me to be using a Mtn Bike for commuting through the suburbs when I should be
    > using it in the bush. I think my bike was feeling a bit miffed with me for subjecting her to such
    > humiliation as to be used for commuting, so called up some retribution.
    >
    > Well, early to bed, and hope I don't find myself having any sorts of nasty reaction.
    >
    > Trentus

    That sure happens. I was crossing a creek one morning, felt something fly into my mouth, and before
    I could spit it out, got stung by a wasp inside my lower lip. Now that's a sweet experience, too.
    And looks funny about half an hour later. Hurt like flying hell on wheels.

    Had a flying beetle zoom into my ear just a couple months before that as I was descending a rocky
    creek bank, tried to dislodge the illegitimate child, lost control and fubarred down the bank and
    tumbled to a stop, bloody, and bloody well angry, too.

    Now show that bike who's boss. Trails, commuting, just do it all.

    Paladin

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Riding home from work on a cycle path, minding my own business, I catch out of the corner of my
    > eye a glimpse of a bug about to hit me (or me about to hit it) but never had a problem with the
    > odd bug before so I don't even take evasive action. Smack I feel it hit me on the chest, on the
    > bare skin above my collar, just below the throat. Ouch, that hurt I thinks to myself. Then two
    > seconds later, IT REALLY
    HURT,
    > as the little bastard, which I now know was probably a wasp of some sort, decides to get revenge
    > for being smacked in the head by a 40Km/h cyclist, by stinging me!
    >
    > 6 hours later, the area is still hurting, and looking impressively "big
    red
    > lump" like.
    >
    > Bloody dangerous sport!! If it's not those clipless pedals, it's the flamin wildlife!
    >
    > Well that'll teach me to be using a Mtn Bike for commuting through the suburbs when I should be
    > using it in the bush. I think my bike was feeling a bit miffed with me for subjecting her to such
    > humiliation as to be used for commuting, so called up some retribution.
    >
    > Well, early to bed, and hope I don't find myself having any sorts of nasty reaction.
    >
    > Trentus

    On the bright side, it wasn't a 'roo. THAT would have been painful.
    --
    Westie

  7. Trentus wrote:
    > Well that'll teach me to be using a Mtn Bike for commuting through the suburbs when I should be
    > using it in the bush. I think my bike was feeling a bit miffed with me for subjecting her to such
    > humiliation as to be used for commuting, so called up some retribution.

    Just ride it up and down some stairs and it will start to appriciate the urban enviroment also, but
    remember to wear a helmet and watch out for snake bites when doing stairs :)

    Regards

    Bruno