"Flan rouge"?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Beal, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Dave Beal

    Dave Beal Guest

    Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark as the "flan rouge", or
    something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation site, it says that it
    isn't French. What is Paul saying?

    Tags:

  2. On 7/24/03 9:58 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Dave Beal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark as the "flan rouge", or
    > something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation site, it says that it
    > isn't French. What is Paul saying?

    flamme rouge == red flame (based on the shape of the red kite).

  3. Henry

    Henry Guest

    he's ready for dessert?

    Sorry, couldn't resist............

    "Dave Beal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark as the "flan rouge", or
    > something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation site, it says that it
    > isn't French. What is Paul saying?

  4. Dave Beal

    Dave Beal Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<BB460B7E.712C%[email protected]>...
    > On 7/24/03 9:58 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "Dave Beal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark as the "flan rouge", or
    > > something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation site, it says that
    > > it isn't French. What is Paul saying?
    >

    > flamme rouge == red flame (based on the shape of the red kite).

    Thanks, Steven.

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    He's a Brit ain't he? He's obviously talking about blood pudding.

    "Dave Beal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark
    as
    > the "flan rouge", or something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation
    > site, it says that it isn't
    French.
    > What is Paul saying?

  6. Trg

    Trg Guest

    If the rider ahead with 1 km to go ends up not winning the stage, he gets a flan rouge-rasberry
    custard (actually creme anglaise avec son coulis des framboise) as a consolation prize). It's a
    tradition since the 1958 TdF when rider Yann Plinn , a native of Brittany was overtaken by Brian
    Robinson in the St. Brieuc - Brest stage which ended right near Plinn's mother's house. Upon losing,
    his mom made him his favorite dessert as a consolation- flan rouge. (Flan isn't French, it's
    actually Breton ie the language they speak in Brittany, that's why you couldn't find it in
    Babelfish).

    eal" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...
    > Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark as the "flan rouge", or
    > something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation site, it says that it
    > isn't French. What is Paul saying?

    ---

  7. Matabala

    Matabala Guest

    Why did I think it meant "la flamme rouge (the red flamme) but I defer to our Tour historian.

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If the rider ahead with 1 km to go ends up not winning the stage, he gets
    > flan rouge-rasberry custard (actually creme anglaise avec son coulis des framboise) as a
    > consolation prize). It's a tradition since the 1958 TdF
    when
    > rider Yann Plinn , a native of Brittany was overtaken by Brian Robinson in the St. Brieuc - Brest
    > stage which ended right near Plinn's mother's
    house.
    > Upon losing, his mom made him his favorite dessert as a consolation- flan rouge. (Flan isn't
    > French, it's actually Breton ie the language they speak in Brittany, that's why you couldn't find
    > it in Babelfish).
    >
    > eal" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark as the "flan rouge", or
    > > something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation site, it says that
    > > it isn't French. What is Paul saying?
    >

    > ---

  8. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Yeah, it does mean "flamme rouge". I was just funning you.

    "matabala" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why did I think it meant "la flamme rouge (the red flamme) but I defer to our Tour historian.
    >

    > "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If the rider ahead with 1 km to go ends up not winning the stage, he
    gets
    > > flan rouge-rasberry custard (actually creme anglaise avec son coulis des framboise) as a
    > > consolation prize). It's a tradition since the 1958 TdF
    > when
    > > rider Yann Plinn , a native of Brittany was overtaken by Brian Robinson
    in
    > > the St. Brieuc - Brest stage which ended right near Plinn's mother's
    > house.
    > > Upon losing, his mom made him his favorite dessert as a consolation-
    flan
    > > rouge. (Flan isn't French, it's actually Breton ie the language they
    speak
    > > in Brittany, that's why you couldn't find it in Babelfish).
    > >
    > > eal" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Paul Sherwen consistently refers to the red pennant at the 1Km mark as the "flan rouge", or
    > > > something like that. But when I run "flan" through the Babelfish translation site, it says
    > > > that it isn't French. What is Paul saying?
    > >

    > > ---
    > > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.501 / Virus Database: 299 - Release Date: 15/07/2003

    ---

  9. Tom Kunich