Flash meter users: a few questions...

of course not! But you gave it a helluva try!

dave

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:54:02 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

> does the light work well for placing a sample on the strip in low or no light?
>
> are the readings always accurate (based on your use over a long period of time of a Lifescan
> meter such as the Ultra or SureStep? The Profile is reliable but IIRC, it gives lower readings
> overall than the newer meters due to the calibration theory once used by meter makers). If you
> take several readings, moments apart, are they essentially the same? (consistency)

the Freestyle strips and the Ultra strips both give the higher "plasma calibrated" numbers

> Do you get unexplained system errors?

the Freestyle and Ultra strips (and meters) are the two most consistent *systems* that
i've ever used

i've not used the new Flash meter, but as far as i know it uses the same strips as the original
Freestyle meter

> On their website, testing time is an "average" 7 seconds. What is it really? Ultra's testing
> takes EXACTLY 5 seconds, so what's the deal with an "average" testing time? Does it take longer
> when the ambient temp is low/high, or longer for higher bg readings?
>
> What is it's operating temperature range?

see p.s.

> How is Therasense's support?

excellent, but they were just bought out (by another big meter maker) so that might change

the Freestyle strips are the best for leg or arm testing, due to them needing the least blood

bill t1 since '57

p.s.\ in thread "Meters" \ Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:19:47 GMT, Big Nascar Fan wrote: \ \\ Good article in
Diabetes Interview on meters: \\ \\ Manuacturer Meter Microliter Time TempF \\ \\ Abbott Precsin
QID 3.5 20 64-86 \\ Abbott PrecsinXtra 2.5 20 0-131 \\ Abbott Sof-Tact 2-3 20 64-86 \\ Bayer
DEX2 3-4 30 50-104 \\ Bayer Elite 2 30 50-104 \\ Bayer EliteXL 2 30 50-104 \\ Hypogrd Assure 3.2
30 64-100 \\ HomeDiag PrestLX NA 10-50 59-98 \\ HomeDiag PrestIQ NA 10-50 59-98 \\ Lifescan
Fastake 1.5 15 59-95 \\ Lifescan Ultra 1 5 43-111 \\ Lifescan OTBasic 10 45 59-95 \\ Lifescan
OTProfile 10 45 59-95 \\ Lifescan Surestep 10 30 50-95 \\ Roche AcuAdvant 4 26 57-104 \\ Roche
AcuActiv 1 5 50-104 \\ Roche AcuComplt 4 26 57-104 \\ Roche AcuCompct 3.5 15 50-104 \\ Roche
AcuVoic 4 26 57-104 \\ Therasense Freestyle 0.3 5-15 50-95

you bought them, bill?

dave

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:46:32 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

> you bought them, bill? > dave

as i said (underlined below), i've not (yet) gotten a flash meter, but it's high on my list of
things to do

i do have an Ultra and 5 FreeStyle meters
(and have so far used about 400 Ultra strips
and maybe about 1,500 FreeStyle strips)

the Freestyle strips are the best for leg or arm testing, due to them needing the least blood

bill t1 since '57

> willbill wrote:
>
> > Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:54:02 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:
> >
> > > does the light work well for placing a sample on the strip in low or no light?
> > >
> > > are the readings always accurate (based on your use over a long period of time of a Lifescan
> > > meter such as the Ultra or SureStep? The Profile is reliable but IIRC, it gives lower
> > > readings overall than the newer meters due to the calibration theory once used by meter
> > > makers). If you take several readings, moments apart, are they essentially the same?
> > > (consistency)
> >
> > the Freestyle strips and the Ultra strips both give the higher "plasma calibrated" numbers
> >

> > > Do you get unexplained system errors?
> >
> > the Freestyle and Ultra strips (and meters) are the two most consistent *systems* that i've
> > ever used
> >
> > i've not used the new Flash meter, but
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > as far as i know it uses the same strips as the original Freestyle meter
> >

> > > On their website, testing time is an "average" 7 seconds. What is it really? Ultra's testing
> > > takes EXACTLY 5 seconds, so what's the deal with an "average" testing time? Does it take
> > > longer when the ambient temp is low/high, or longer for higher bg readings?
> > >
> > > What is it's operating temperature range?
> >
> > see p.s.
> >

> > > How is Therasense's support?
> >
> > excellent, but they were just bought out (by another big meter maker) so that might change
> >
> > the Freestyle strips are the best for leg or arm testing, due to them needing the least blood
> >
> > bill t1 since '57
<snip

OOPS!!! I made a HUGE TYPO! I meant to write, "WHO bouught them, Bill?" as in, who bought Freestyle?

dave

willbill wrote:

> Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:46:32 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:
>
> > you bought them, bill? > dave
>
> as i said (underlined below), i've not (yet) gotten a flash meter, but it's high on my list of
> things to do
>
> i do have an Ultra and 5 FreeStyle meters
> (and have so far used about 400 Ultra strips
> and maybe about 1,500 FreeStyle strips)
>
> the Freestyle strips are the best for leg or arm testing, due to them needing the least blood
>
> bill t1 since '57
>

> > willbill wrote:

> low or no

> period
> Profile
> newer
> makers). If you
> same?
> > >
> > > the Freestyle strips and the Ultra strips both give the higher "plasma calibrated" numbers

> > > the Freestyle and Ultra strips (and meters) are the two most consistent *systems* that i've
> > > ever used
> > >
> > > i've not used the new Flash meter, but
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > as far as i know it uses the same strips as the original Freestyle meter

> is it
> deal
> ambient

> > > see p.s.

> > > excellent, but they were just bought out (by another big meter maker) so that might change
> > >
> > > the Freestyle strips are the best for leg or arm testing, due to them needing the least blood
> > >
> > > bill t1 since '57
> <snip

OOPS!!! I made a HUGE TYPO! I meant to write, "WHO bought them, Bill?" as in, "who bought
Freestyle?"

dave

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:59:27 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> OOPS!!! I made a HUGE TYPO! I meant to write, "WHO bought them, Bill?" as in, "who bought
> Freestyle?"

see any search engine

bill

e.g. google.com got me to: http://diabetes.about.com/cs/newswire/a/blnabbotther104.htm

Acquisition Strengthens Abbott's Presence in Blood Glucose Monitoring Market

January 13, 2004 -- Abbott Park, Illinois, and Alameda, California -- (Abbott/TheraSense) Abbott
Laboratories (NYSE: ABT) and TheraSense, Inc. (Nasdaq: THER) today announced that the companies have
entered into an agreement for Abbott to acquire all of the capital stock of TheraSense for $27 per
share in cash. TheraSense, based in Alameda, Calif., develops, manufactures and markets FreeStyle®
blood glucose self-monitoring systems, and is a leader in developing systems that feature a very
small sample size, rapid test results and less painful testing.

"Together with TheraSense, Abbott can build on its success in the blood glucose monitoring business.
We will continue to promote both the MediSense and TheraSense products and brands. This transaction
will allow us to better serve the needs of people with diabetes through advanced technology, a
promising pipeline, a broader product line, and critical mass in research, development, sales and
marketing," said Ed Fiorentino, president, MediSense Products, Abbott Laboratories. "In addition,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ we will provide TheraSense products with a greater international presence and
infrastructure through the global reach of our existing MediSense business."

[email protected] (Igor) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > the fact that you don't even know it works only with a certain temp range demonstrates your
> > unbounding IGNORANCE.
> >
> > dave
> >
> Dave,
>
> I am so glad you like me. When I checked the other thread "Freestyle Flash: Beware inaccurate
> readings", which was also initiated by you, the "unbounding ingrorance" is one of the nicest words
> you have used. I am so glad that I can stand beside people like: David (Batezee) = moron
> OldFartJAC = twit bait Jim Dumas = DUDE Tony Pacc = idiot + moron Bob = twit with moronic posts
>
> There are times, when I just enjoy being only ignorant...
>
> Igor
> PS: Thanks for your posts, my english vocabulary was extended by several nice phrases...

YOU GO BOY!