Your Bloody Soap Box · Public discussion

Flash: Pope Blasts Islam

Started by Carrera · · Last activity · 108 posts · 9,461 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Your Bloody Soap Box
Published
15 September 2006
Last activity
25 September 2006
Original author
Carrera
Posts
108
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,461
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 108
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. limerickman said:

    Hold up here.

    You chimed in with your "for the record, I support the Pope's comments".
    You chimed in with this "vote of support" after the Popes initial addresson 12/09/06, but before any further statement was made by the Pope on 17/09/06.

    No, you hold up here...Yes and I stand by my vote for the record. The "further statement" which you refer was only released after Muslims around the world started burning his likeness and issuing death threats. Tell me Lim, would the Pope had made a "further statement" as you call it, if the Muslim world had remained silent?

    Quoted post said:

    Listen - you didn't understand the Popes speech at Regensberg.

    Oh, I understood it, and BTW who made you the Popes personal interpreter? Are you ST. Lim now??

    Quoted post said:

    Do you know who is responsible for the murder of the nun ?

    Yeah, some psycho with a gun who was influenced by jihad.

    Quoted post said:

    If person responsible for this murder should be brought to justice - then the full rigours of the law should apply.
    I hope that in this case the culprit will be brought to justice.

    I think we would both agree here..

    Quoted post said:

    And that's right you posted your initial comments BEFORE the murder of that nun.

    This has no bearing on what I stated...You are grasping here. I mean, my "initial" comments are just that...When you refer to "initial" comments, that statement indicates that there are comments following the "initial" comment thus the likelyhood that something would transpire after the "initial" comment is quite likely...Perhaps you should play the lottery today for you are on a roll.....

    No intiating a debate/argument with you.
    Just pointing out the fact that you haven't got a clue.[/QUOTE]

  2. jhuskey said:

    Ali while waiting for a plane to take off was told to buckle his seat belt. He replied "Superman don't need no seatbelt". The flight attendant replied " Superman don't need no plane,buckle-up"! Ali complied.
    He was a colorful character,great boxer and entertainer in his day, but totally full of [censored] sometimes,in a charming way.


    Ali was what jhusky said he was, but he was not a person who walked the moral highground during his life. Wasn't the Pope's speech in the context of "Faith and Reason?" Since the Rasberg speeech, I have questioned several people in the local university philosophy/religion department about this. They seem to think the Pope's speech was not infammatory , but mis-undestood.
    I did not think the Pope issued a public apology, but a public statement defending his speech. Am I wrong about that?
    I want to believe that killing of nun was a act of a few individuals. But we see. We will see.

  3. 2FAST4U said:

    The "further statement" which you refer was only released after Muslims around the world started burning his likeness and issuing death threats.

    On the 17/09/06, the Pope stated that the quote attributed at 12/09/06 to
    Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus, do not reflect the Popes personal view of Islam.

    For those of us who read the speech at 12/09/06 - it was clear that the Pope wasn't attacking Islam.

    You thought that the Pope was referring to Islam at 12/09/06.
    He wasn't.

    2FAST4U said:

    Oh, I understood it, and BTW who made you the Popes personal interpreter? Are you ST. Lim now??

    No. But I did read his speech at 12/09/06 - and it was clear then that the Pope wasn't referring to islam in that speech.

    And no, I'm not St.Lim.

    2FAST4U said:

    Yeah, some psycho with a gun who was influenced by jihad.

    Do you have evidence, at the time of writing, that the person who murdered the nun is a Muslim?

    2FAST4U said:

    This has no bearing on what I stated...You are grasping here. I mean, my "initial" comments are just that...When you refer to "initial" comments, that statement indicates that there are comments following the "initial" comment thus the likelyhood that something would transpire after the "initial" comment is quite likely...Perhaps you should play the lottery today for you are on a roll.....

    Of course it has a bearing.

    You said that you supported the comments made by the Pope at 12/09/06.

    Several days later you then said that the murder of the nun confirmed why you supported the comments of the Pope.

    If you read the speech at 12/09/06 - you would have seen that the speech did not attack Islam.
    The Pope himself stated at the 17/09/06 that his speech, at 12/09/06,
    was not an attack on Islam.

  4. Carrera said:


    When fanatics are alowed to shout for the death penalty for infidels in the streets of London and burn images of the Pope with violent intent, then that indicates we have a major problem within the country - namely of being too weak and liberal to defend certain values.

    Really? How about the burning of the effigy of the Pope in dear old England, each year? What does that make England, eh?

    Carrera said:


    None of this would have been tolerated in Moscow or Japan, let alone China.

    I suggest that you ought to move to one of those countries, then.

  5. I lived in Russia for quite some time, years in fact. I was a student not so far from Moscow at Tver State University. Maybe the people are less wishy-washy as they still have national service and do time in the army.
    To be honest, I do prefer Russia. Lovely women, cheap alcohol and Moscow is now booming economically.

    limerickman said:

    Really? How about the burning of the effigy of the Pope in dear old England, each year? What does that make England, eh?

    I suggest that you ought to move to one of those countries, then.

  6. Ali was far from being the great man they made him into after Vietnam. However, he was very courageous. It took a lot of guts to refuse to go to Vietnam as a point of principle - Ali didn't believe the war was the right way to go. Bear in mind, he could have done the same as Joe Luis and just encouraged the troops at bases while in service. Even the Nation Of Islam suggested Ali should join up but he was adamant.
    That made him the most hated man in the U.S.A. He had to stomach being called a coward and chicken by mothers whose own sons were going out to die.
    So, on the point of raw courage, Ali was an example.
    His flaws were summed up in his womanising. He was unfaithful to his women and sleeping all over the place with women lined up. He also made fun of Joe Frazier and called him an uncle Tom and gorilla.
    However, the guy just took way too much in the ring after Manila. The fight with Holmes should never have been allowed.

    jhuskey said:

    Ali while waiting for a plane to take off was told to buckle his seat belt. He replied "Superman don't need no seatbelt". The flight attendant replied " Superman don't need no plane,buckle-up"! Ali complied.
    He was a colorful character,great boxer and entertainer in his day, but totally full of [censored] sometimes,in a charming way.

  7. "Really? How about the burning of the effigy of the Pope in dear old England, each year? What does that make England, eh?"

    That's news to me. I'm not Catholic but both my girlfriends were Catholics. Especially the one from Spain - she'd cross herself when entering a church as I recall.
    That's the weird thing. All the girls I knew were called Mari such and such, Mari Jose, Mari Jesus, Mari Angeles. It was all about the name Maria - the mother of God.

    limerickman said:

    Really? How about the burning of the effigy of the Pope in dear old England, each year? What does that make England, eh?

    I suggest that you ought to move to one of those countries, then.

  8. Carrera said:


    That's the weird thing. All the girls I knew were called Mari such and such, Mari Jose, Mari Jesus, Mari Angeles. It was all about the name Maria - the mother of God.

    Sounds like a very good reason to name a child. But to run with this a little bit, what were the parents thinking that named their child "[censored]"? Especially if the last name is "Pound"? "[censored] Pound"? What were they thinking? Sounds like a gay [censored] star......

    But back to Marie...... Is there anything sexier then a woman named Marie....???? Gina Marie... Anna Marie.... I could go on ....... Of course I can remember such excellent Maggies and Molly's.

    Russian women ??? Beautiful. I knew some. But sometimes I wondered abput the ones named Olga.....

  9. Carrera said:

    "Really? How about the burning of the effigy of the Pope in dear old England, each year? What does that make England, eh?"

    That's news to me.

    Lewes in Sussex - they burn effigies of the Pope there.

  10. limerickman said:

    Lewes in Sussex - they burn effigies of the Pope there.


    The reason? I'll just google it....

  11. Then, I guess they're acting like morons.
    Actually I recall being made to feel very uncomfortable when The Sun poked fun at the Spanish football team during the World Cup. The Spanish were furious about the cartoons and, myself being part English, I suffered their wrath.

    limerickman said:

    Lewes in Sussex - they burn effigies of the Pope there.

  12. wolfix said:

    The reason? I'll just google it....

    I don't know the reason why the burn the effigy of the Pope - all I know is that I passed through Lewes some years ago when this ritual was taking place.
    Cararra made the point that burning effigies is unwelcome.

  13. Carrera said:

    Then, I guess they're acting like morons.
    Actually I recall being made to feel very uncomfortable when The Sun poked fun at the Spanish football team during the World Cup. The Spanish were furious about the cartoons and, myself being part English, I suffered their wrath.

    Your comparison between a cartoon of a football in a newspaper and the burning of an effigy of the spiritual leader of over 1 billion people, is lost on me I have to say.

  14. Russian female names: Olga, Elena, Ludmila, Nastya, Tanya, Irina, Natalya, Anna. Nastya is short for Anastasia.
    When I was with my Russian friend Andrey, he would approach a girl and simply get her phone number and then we would all meet up. It was that easy. I could tell some stories but these might cause shock over my womanising so I'll refrain.
    Spanish girls: I like the name Yolanda. Txus is Basque for Mari Jesus - had a friend called Txus and she taught aerobics at a gym. Carolina she was Chillean.

    wolfix said:

    Sounds like a very good reason to name a child. But to run with this a little bit, what were the parents thinking that named their child "[censored]"? Especially if the last name is "Pound"? "[censored] Pound"? What were they thinking? Sounds like a gay [censored] star......

    But back to Marie...... Is there anything sexier then a woman named Marie....???? Gina Marie... Anna Marie.... I could go on ....... Of course I can remember such excellent Maggies and Molly's.

    Russian women ??? Beautiful. I knew some. But sometimes I wondered abput the ones named Olga.....

  15. wolfix said:

    Sounds like a very good reason to name a child. But to run with this a little bit, what were the parents thinking that named their child "[censored]"? Especially if the last name is "Pound"? "[censored] Pound"? What were they thinking? Sounds like a gay [censored] star......

    There used to be a local politician called Richard Face.His parents must have really hated him right from the moment of birth.
    How about "Newt" for a name?
    :eek:

  16. Carrera said:

    Russian female names: Olga, Elena, Ludmila, Nastya, Tanya, Irina, Natalya, Anna. Nastya is short for Anastasia.
    When I was with my Russian friend Andrey, he would approach a girl and simply get her phone number and then we would all meet up. It was that easy. I could tell some stories but these might cause shock over my womanising so I'll refrain.
    Spanish girls: I like the name Yolanda. Txus is Basque for Mari Jesus - had a friend called Txus and she taught aerobics at a gym. Carolina she was Chillean.

    My first girlfriend was called Anne-Marie Maria Anastasia Dolores Mary Bridges.
    If it hadn't been for Stacy I would never have learned that I could outrun every nun at St.Ursula's College.It was good training for when her father came after me with a golf club. I suspect that he wasn't proposing to correct my swing.

  17. Its amazing how things have continued on for over 600 years and people still don’t get it. The Pope was referencing a transcript between a Persian scholar and a Byzantine emperor. Looks like the emperor is correct in his perceptions. Will the US ever wake up and realize that it doesn’t matter what it does it will be hated by most of the world. I say take away all the foreign aid build up the military and start defending ourselves. The Israeli’s do it properly until we come along and persuade them to quit defending themselves. That’s why such a little country survives in such a turmoiled region? 1. They are willing to kick ass and not worry with the names, and 2. The US helps sometimes. I say don’t worry about who else has nuclear capability, just be willing to retaliate with equal or more force. Oh one more thing; send the UN packing and withdraw our charter or whatever we have with it.

    boortz.comindex.html

  18. stevebaby said:

    My first girlfriend was called Anne-Marie Maria Anastasia Dolores Mary Bridges.
    If it hadn't been for Stacy I would never have learned that I could outrun every nun at St.Ursula's College.It was good training for when her father came after me with a golf club. I suspect that he wasn't proposing to correct my swing.


    Hmm and to think i was under the impression that only spanish women have the longest names in the world....

    Consuela dkjfksjdhfkjshdkfjhskdjhfkjshdkfjhksdjhfkjsdhkfjhsdkjfhk Sanchez

  19. The nuns I met in northern Spain went in for flagellation. They were las santas hermanas del Opus Dei, if you ever heard of Opus Dei.
    Not only that: They wear these spikes under their skirts to chastise themselves and, every so often, use their whips to beat themselves. Many live in convents.
    However, once I got into big trouble after I described a Semana Santa procession as being like a Ku-Klux-Klan march. To be honest it was spooky. People worse these white hoods with slots and they had these giant puppets marching around too.

    stevebaby said:

    My first girlfriend was called Anne-Marie Maria Anastasia Dolores Mary Bridges.
    If it hadn't been for Stacy I would never have learned that I could outrun every nun at St.Ursula's College.It was good training for when her father came after me with a golf club. I suspect that he wasn't proposing to correct my swing.

  20. unicos said:

    Its amazing how things have continued on for over 600 years and people still don’t get it. The Pope was referencing a transcript between a Persian scholar and a Byzantine emperor. Looks like the emperor is correct in his perceptions. Will the US ever wake up and realize that it doesn’t matter what it does it will be hated by most of the world. I say take away all the foreign aid build up the military and start defending ourselves. The Israeli’s do it properly until we come along and persuade them to quit defending themselves. That’s why such a little country survives in such a turmoiled region? 1. They are willing to kick ass and not worry with the names, and 2. The US helps sometimes. I say don’t worry about who else has nuclear capability, just be willing to retaliate with equal or more force. Oh one more thing; send the UN packing and withdraw our charter or whatever we have with it.

    boortz.comindex.html

    Sure,cut US foreign aid.Israel (despite being the 16th wealthiest country in the world) is one of the largest recipients,just behind Egypt and just in front of Saudi Arabia.The balance of "foreign aid" is actually a subsidy for US agricultural and military corporations.
    It will be difficult to increase military spending.The Us is ,per capita,almost the highest spending country already.In absolute terms...the US is the biggest spender on arms,and the largest supplier of arms.The mainland of the US has not been attacked since ...1814?
    Why does the US have such a large military? Geographically.it would be almost impossible to invade and no country in the world could afford it anyway.Look how much it's costing the US to invade a small country like Iraq.
    The US remains the only country to be condemned by the UN for State sponsored terrorism.The UN should expel them.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.