Flash: Pope Blasts Islam

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Carrera, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Your gonna get some responses on this one, I bet. Let's see,it will start with Iraq etc,etc.
    Just my prediction.

2. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Religion can be interpreted in various ways, depending on who does the interpreting. I could quote you some verses from both the Torah and the Koran that seem to promote violence. On the other hand, I could quote other verses that contradict these.
    For example, the Torah tells the children of Israel to "utterly destroy" the Canaanites in case the Hebrews also fall into worship of more than one god. Then, the book of Jonah goes on to teach tolerance (to the people of Ninevah). 2 messages, 2 avenues for interpretation.
    Are you going to judge Christianity by the behaviour of the Ku-Klux-Klan or Billy Graham?
    Are you going to judge Islam by the behaviour of Muhammad Ali or Osama Bin Laden?
    Are you going to use Herod to judge Judaism as a whole - the guy who had infants slaughtered?
    Let's be fair: People of all faiths have been using religion to justify war and hate for centuries and these include Jews, Christians and Moslems but such people are hypocrites - it's not so much the belief system per se.
    The New Testament shows Jews were stoning women for committing adultery as some Moslems do today. Now, in modern times, Jews and Christians aren't so extreme but, at one time, they were.
    People can't go out with an assumed licnse to kill and then say they did it because they're religous.

3. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I think he may need to swat up on his ancient history, though.
    The Romans had a cuisine that even modern France couldn't match. They had architecture and even engineering we would probably be unable to duplicate today.
    It's simply not true the ancients were unsophisticated barbarians. They were a very advanced people. The Greeks would laugh at out so-called democracy - they invented it and they actually practised it.
    The ancient Egyptians even built their pyramids in line with the star Syrius, knew it existed and these people were also black, not white.

4. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U New Member

Once again, I tell you that was then and this is now...I'm not talking about history I'm talking about the modern era...BTW, Muhammad Ali and the KKK are history...

5. wolfix

wolfix New Member

The KKK is still active....

6. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U New Member

Yes, you are correct and you can fit them all in a full size mini van and they are as powerful as Ali is today....:rolleyes:

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

..................................that's bollox.

You posted your comment of "support" three days prior to the murder of that nun.

In addition, the Holy Father has said that the comment made by Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus, does not reflect his (The Pope's) personal view of Islam.

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

No Roman Catholic can disown what was done by the Church in the 14th and 15th century.
    What happened during the Cruscades and the Inquisition happened.

Ditto in Islam - they conquered Spain and regions of Southern Europe and committed atrocities too.

We could all cite what happened in the past centuries to apportion blame.

No one from the present day was responsible for what happened centuries ago.

If anyone read the full text of the Popes address at Regensberg last Tuesday - and I posted this at the time - it is apaprent on reading his speech that the Pope was not giving his view on Islam in that address.
    (read the transcript of his speech).

I think that it is important for Islam to read the Pope's full speech - in now ay was Benedict attacking Islam.

if the speech was confied to that one statement, then Islam would have a point about Benedict insulting Islam.

9. EoinC

EoinC New Member

I'm going with the All Blacks - their showing in the Tri-Nations indicates that they have 2 full teams worth of World Class players...

10. EoinC

EoinC New Member

I'll pick an easy one, JH - The genocidal Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda, or doesn't that count because it's in Africa? Hang on, Somalia is in Africa, too. As usual, I'm confused...

11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

There are a lot more than one would think. They maintain a low profile for the most part.
    I would estimate there numbers above 1 million to several million, but that is only a guess.

12. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It only counts if you are the slayer or the slayee. Actually I don't discriminate on national origin or race. A genocidial maniac is a maniac by any other name.

13. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U New Member

Lim, Lim, Lim…..You do like to start arguments don’t you?...

Well, first of all Lim, the Holy Father repeated the emperors statement for a reason Lim. Obviously Lim, after all the fallout, he is going to try and defuse a completely ridiculous situation where these Muslim fascist are trying to stir up trouble. His comments included the reading of this statement and they are focused on that portion specifically. I find this disgusting…Don’t you?

Lim, second, I stated that I supported the Popes comments period. The murder of that innocent nun occurred two days after my post (you are very astute yet you need to update your watch.) but it is still evidence that these fascist are proving the excerpt to be accurate. Lim if you are trying to initiate some sort of argument/debate with me, perhaps you should pick another topic or theory as this attempt here is truly pitiful…Lim, you are capable of much better….Please calm down Lim.

14. Carrera

Carrera New Member

"If anyone read the full text of the Popes address at Regensberg last Tuesday - and I posted this at the time - it is apaprent on reading his speech that the Pope was not giving his view on Islam in that address.
    (read the transcript of his speech)."

I can't really comment fully as to whether those views reflected the Pope's personal views or not. What's certain is the Vatican is trying to calm things down but whether it's too late or not is anybody's guess. The fact appears to be that in London, protesters have been waving banners and not all of them are prepared to listen to any reason.

"No one from the present day was responsible for what happened centuries ago."

The problem with all monotheistic religions is they give too many people license to assume they alone possess the absolute truth. What troubles me is all these cases of mobs of people shouting and screaming in the streets on account of others who may not accept their religious ideas.
    I couldn't really care less what particular religious denomination goes in for the screaming and shouting. What it all suggests to me is fear. It's as if there are people out there who have closed up their minds to any rational analysis so as soon as they hear any criticism they shout "blasphemy!"
    This happened in Europe in the Middle Ages as well.
    As for history, it seems to me the Christian fundamentalists and Islamic radicals are causing a heap of problems today, as they have done in the past. They are finding their way more and more into politics.

We could all cite what happened in the past centuries to apportion blame.

No one from the present day was responsible for what happened centuries ago.

If anyone read the full text of the Popes address at Regensberg last Tuesday - and I posted this at the time - it is apaprent on reading his speech that the Pope was not giving his view on Islam in that address.
    (read the transcript of his speech).

I think that it is important for Islam to read the Pope's full speech - in now ay was Benedict attacking Islam.

if the speech was confied to that one statement, then Islam would have a point about Benedict insulting Islam.[/QUOTE]

15. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

Sorry, I've been sick for the last few days, so I haven't posted. Since this whole thing started, the pope has mad several public appologies and the Muslims still insist on public appologies! Why? When is it enough? And when comments are made about Christianity, do we go on a rampage and demand the same?

16. wolfix

wolfix New Member

It is true they do not have the power they once had..... But they still out there among us. Go to southern Missouri and ask around..... I think there are places there that still have their name on signs outside their"clubhouse."

Several years ago I watched a protest by them in another Midwestern town. They are among us. And they are not the "skinheaded" type of people you vision them as on the "Jerry Springer Show."

Let's do hope they do go away though.

17. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U New Member

Yeah...let them bring a sword to a gunfight...

18. Carrera

Carrera New Member

What I've been trying to get across is that the 3 main global religions, Christianity, Islam and Judaism have all caused problems throughout different stages in history.
    Jews in biblical times were just as problematic to the Romans as extremist moslems are today to the U.S. Christians have likewise carried out the most horrendous acts, basing negro slavery on verses in the Old Testament, wiping out South American Indians, carrying out witch hunts and persecuting scientists and progressive thinkers.
    There are signs some of this is making a comeback in the U.S. with creatonism teaching being forced on kids in Southern schools (or even cases of kids being brainwashed).
    My position is fairly clear that I don't think Islamic extremism should be tolerated whatsoever, but I wouldn't go so far as to claim Islam alone produces extremists. My gripe is with monotheistic religion as a whole.

19. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U New Member

I must admit, I've never been to Missouri nor do I watch Springer. However, it just seems that whenever you see them try and put on some protest, there are about 10-15 of them that show up and they are usually getting their A#$'s kicked etc... I think they are truly finished here..We can only hope that it is as it looks anyway...

20. Carrera

Carrera New Member

It struck me that Christians don't have a history of going on the rampage, although I discovered Jews frequently did so in the Roman period.
    Case in point was when Caligula wanted to erect a statue of himself as a god in Jerusalem in the Holy Of Holy's. This may have been why Caligula was finally bumped off. :D If he had managed to stick his image up, there would have been mass rioting, mass suicides and fanatical resistance from the Jews. The Roman Senate didn't want the hassle.
    Back to the point: I read there have been protests in London and again I ask why the public are willing to tolerate this kind of stuff. If those particular fanatics had pulled this stunt in Moscow, either the Police would have moved in or Russians on the street would have had something to say.
    I refer to the protests outside a Catholic Church calling for the usual death penalty for "those who insult Islam". It amazes me this country has become so wishy-washy we have a police force that just stands back and a public that does or says nothing. It strikes me as pathetic and it complicates matters for other moslems who don't share such crazy views. :(