Flashers

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mel Long, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Mel Long

    Mel Long Guest

    Does anyone know of a cheap strobe, or flasing red light for the back that can be seen really well?
    I saw one somewhere a while ago and lost the address.

    Mel

    Tags:

  2. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Sec
    tion_Id=1&Product_Id=1627454

    Emerson 18-LED flasher, runs on 4 AA batteries and is very, very bright! I have been using one for
    the last 3 years or so, works great. Remove the magnets from the back and mount it to your rack.
    $4.99 plus $4.95 shipping... Best $10 you'll ever spend on a tail light. 5 watt white LEDs will cost
    you quite a bit more.

    John H N TX

  3. Jt

    Jt Guest

    "Mel Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a cheap strobe, or flasing red light for the back that can be seen really
    > well? I saw one somewhere a while ago and lost the address.

    Mountain Equipment Co-op has a battery powered strobe - the real kind, with a flashtube, not a bunch
    of LED's - for about $13. Looks like a small standard flashlight, has a couple of coloured lenses
    you can attach over (instead of?) the clear one. I would have bought one except that there's already
    a flashtube strobe on the back of what I ride.

    Flashtubes are _way_ brighter than LED's.

  4. Travis C

    Travis C Guest

    Mel

    Try www.lightmanstrobes.com we use these on the railroad and are visible a good distance.

    Travis

    "Mel Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a cheap strobe, or flasing red light for the back that can be seen really
    > well? I saw one somewhere a while ago and lost the address.
    >
    > Mel

  5. Review Boy

    Review Boy Guest

    Hi jt -

    I could not find a flashtube at MEC's Web site. Do you recall the make and model?

    Thanks.

    "jt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Mountain Equipment Co-op has a battery powered strobe - the real kind,
    with
    > a flashtube, not a bunch of LED's - for about $13. Looks like a small standard flashlight, has a
    > couple of coloured lenses you can attach over (instead of?) the clear one. I would have bought one
    > except that there's already a flashtube strobe on the back of what I ride.
    >

    > Flashtubes are _way_ brighter than LED's.

  6. Review Boy

    Review Boy Guest

    Hi John -

    What sort of battery life do you see with the Emerson 18-LED flasher?

    Thanks.

    "BentHeadSWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Sec
    > tion_Id=1&Product_Id=1627454
    >
    > Emerson 18-LED flasher, runs on 4 AA batteries and is very, very bright!
    > have been using one for the last 3 years or so, works great. Remove the magnets from the back and
    > mount it to your rack. $4.99 plus $4.95
    shipping...
    > Best $10 you'll ever spend on a tail light. 5 watt white LEDs will cost you quite a bit more.
    >
    > John H N TX

  7. Jt

    Jt Guest

    "Review Boy" <review [email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi jt -
    >
    > I could not find a flashtube at MEC's Web site. Do you recall the make
    and
    > model?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you search from the main page with "strobe" you get item number 4018-137.

  8. Review Boy

    Review Boy Guest

    jt -

    Aaah, there it is. Thanks very much!

    How do you attach it to your bicycle?

    "jt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Review Boy" <review [email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi jt -
    > >
    > > I could not find a flashtube at MEC's Web site. Do you recall the make
    > and
    > > model?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > If you search from the main page with "strobe" you get item number
    4018-137.

  9. Niteynite1

    Niteynite1 Guest

    Damn! I thought this thread was about cute women flashing when recumbent riders go by.

    Curses!

    Will I drive a Kia. My cell phone is a NOkia. I am so confused.

  10. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:27:10 -0600, "Mel Long" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a cheap strobe, or flasing red light for the back that can be seen really well?
    >I saw one somewhere a while ago and lost the address.
    >
    >Mel

    I don't know if this qualifies as "cheap", but it's damn bright. It's a genuine strobe and you can
    see it forever. It is a battery hog so I used rechargeable batteries with mine. You can find it by
    searching on Lightman Strobe. Here's what one looked liked mounted to the back of my P-38:

    http://www.geocities.com/texasp38/269.html

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  11. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    Do you have any pictures of the rest of that bike?

    "Dave Clary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:27:10 -0600, "Mel Long" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know of a cheap strobe, or flasing red light for the back
    that
    > >can be seen really well? I saw one somewhere a while ago and lost the address.
    > >
    > >Mel
    >
    > I don't know if this qualifies as "cheap", but it's damn bright. It's a genuine strobe and you can
    > see it forever. It is a battery hog so I used rechargeable batteries with mine. You can find it by
    > searching on Lightman Strobe. Here's what one looked liked mounted to the back of my P-38:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/texasp38/269.html
    > >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
    > http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  12. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

  13. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    "Review Boy" <review [email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > What sort of battery life do you see with the Emerson 18-LED flasher?

    John is right. About the best $10.00 you will ever spend.

    As to battery life....I have been using mine regularly for 3 years and the batteries seem to
    still be good.

    I estimate about 300 to 400 hours in that time so far (I use it in flasher mode only). I expect to
    replace the batteries in the next couple of months.

    On daylight rides I get many comments from other cyclists about how far they were able to see the
    light in the daylight. A great attention getter.

    Jerry

  14. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    There's a line of small clip-on single and multi-LED flashers which use AA-batts. I've found them in
    drug stores but not ONE bike shop in Jackson Hole offered them up until I stopped commuting there in
    July, 2001. I used a five-LED flasher while on airport ramp during dark operations. Received much
    favorable comment from pilots of our Air Wisconsin and United jets.

  15. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    >...Flashtubes are _way_ brighter than LED's.

    Maybeso, but I used LED type on airport ramp at night year-round and received much favorable comment
    from pilots who sometimes couldn't spot flashlight wands. Hate to think what strobe-types might have
    done to their night vision.

  16. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    >...How do you attach it...?

    VELCRO, after duct tape comes VELCRO!!

  17. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest

  18. Cute Flasher idea (except there is a flaw), what happens when you pull to the curb or stop for
    traffic and come to a dead stop. Your bent stops being visible, which does not sound real healthy to
    me. What it should have is a way to store some of the extra energy in an onboard rechargeable
    battery. Then when the wheel stops turning, the battery takes over.
    ***************************
    news:[email protected]...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3624298631&category=22689

    > > "Mel Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Does anyone know of a cheap strobe, or flasing red light for the back
    > that
    > > > can be seen really well? I saw one somewhere a while ago and lost the address.

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:36:59 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What it should have is a way to store some of the extra energy in an onboard rechargeable battery.
    > Then when the wheel stops turning, the battery takes over.

    I have this on my 'bent - and the magnetic gizmo powers the headlight as well. But the magnetic
    gizmo cost some big bucks...

    It's SON of course ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
    Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

  20. landon2

    landon2 Guest

    What do you mean the 'magnetic gizmo cost some big bucks'? Doesn't the light come with the gizmo
    to generate the electricity? Or were you referring to the storage gizmo? What's big bucks? $10,
    $20, or more?

    Chuck