Flashers

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mel Long, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > way to store some of the extra energy in an onboard rechargeable battery. Then when the wheel
    > stops turning, the battery takes over.

    I have a great flashlight on my christmas list. It is white LED, has transparent plastic case,
    floats, has NO battery at all! It has a coil of wire (you can see it in there) and a metal slug that
    slides back and forth through the coil when you shake it. That motion generates a current that
    charges a small capacitor. The capacitor powers the LED for up to 5 minutes (advertised). I saw one,
    and used it, in Hawaii this last summer. Solid item, well-built. Gotta have
    it.

    http://www.foreverled.homestead.com/deluxled.html

    Don't see why this wouldn't work with an LED flasher, except maybe the flasher would run longer. I
    'spose a person could patch in a capacitor for the flasher.

  2. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest

    Actually, it has that covered too :) There is a horizontal row of 3 LEDs. Just above and below the
    LEDs are two bands of reflective material similar to what is found on normal bike reflectors and the
    rear end of the light is rounded so it covers more of an arc to the rear rather than basically
    straight back.. Anything approaching from the rear area with lights on, will llight up the relective
    areas like a normal reflector.

    > Cute Flasher idea (except there is a flaw), what happens when you pull to the curb or stop for
    > traffic and come to a dead stop. Your bent stops
    being

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3624298631&category=22689

    > > that

  3. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest

    Actually, as I'm a windmill builder too, the "magnet gizmo" is not an issue and I was thinking about
    turbo charging the lighting system with no mechanical drag to your bike. All that is required is
    making a small coil of something like 16 to 20 gauge wire, and you could hang two or more on each
    side of a wheel. Get some good neodimium magnets from a place like otherpower.com and fasten 2 or 4
    to your spokes. As I'm not an electronics guru, it might require a cap, rectifier or resistor to
    smooth out or limit the power output so as not to blow your LEDs at higher rpms. It should provide
    more than enough juice to power both a headlight and a tailight at low rpms, and again, there would
    be no need for the friction associated with hub and wheel generators.