Flashlight Or Headlamp For Night Riding?

Jessicasmith

Jun 15, 2015
I am going to buy a flashlight for my bike, but I am told i'd better get a headlamp, for it can shine broader range ahead. So, what do you think is better?

Flashlights generally do not have a good beam pattern for riding.

Use a bicycle mounted headlight as your primary illumination and a helmet mounted headlamp as a secondary source.

kylerlittle said:
Flashlight is the way to go mate!

I agree with you. I have found some flashlights online such as sure fure,fenix, Tank007 flashlight, etc, which have a clip to mount the bike. And I am going to purchase one later after consideration carefully.

Jessicasmith said:
I agree with you. I have found some flashlights online such as sure fure,fenix, Tank007 flashlight, etc, which have a clip to mount the bike. And I am going to purchase one later after consideration carefully.
Yes.

Use a bike headlight as those will be able to shine the light down the road at a more direct approach rather than a helmet mounted headlight.

A bicycle mounted headlight is a legal requirement for on-road use in many jurisdictions. I'd consider one essential regardless of the law, in addition to a powerful rear light. For inexpensive battery powered lights, I tend to favour Smart brand equipment - the lights are reasonably bright (especially the rear) and have a good beam pattern.

A head mounted flashlight can be a useful addition, particularly for off-road use, but should always be seen as a secondary light. Powerful head mounted lamps tend to have a very narrow beam pattern, which can deprive you of peripheral vision and limit your ability to spot potential hazards.

John Dennett said:
A bicycle mounted headlight is a legal requirement for on-road use in many jurisdictions. I'd consider one essential regardless of the law, in addition to a powerful rear light. For inexpensive battery powered lights, I tend to favour Smart brand equipment - the lights are reasonably bright (especially the rear) and have a good beam pattern.

A head mounted flashlight can be a useful addition, particularly for off-road use, but should always be seen as a secondary light. Powerful head mounted lamps tend to have a very narrow beam pattern, which can deprive you of peripheral vision and limit your ability to spot potential hazards.
I agree with you. But I do not love to ware headlight which makes me uncomfortable. SO, finally, I purchased a flashlight. Anyway, thanks for your advice.