flat bar felt or raceline?

ema

Dec 18, 2004
Hi, I'm looking to buy a flat bar road bike and have looked around a test ridden a few. My budget is pretty limited so the two I've found to be the best so far are the Felt SR91 and a Raceline Forza. I've seen the Felt recommended on here a few times but should I be concerned that the SR91 only has 8speed shifters? and are there any other big differences that I should be taking into account?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

emma

ps. I've also seen a Gitane Mach 3400 that's really nice, but seems weirdly angled frontwards to me. maybe this is because I'm used to riding a mtb and it's more of a road bike angle that I'm not used to, or do Gitane design their bikes differently to most others?

Hi Emma,

When I bought mine I eliminated the raceline as it was not available in my size. Yes 27 speed gives better components. Compare the SR81 with Giant CRX2 and Avanti Blade Comp/Pro, and it should stack up well.

After having the Felt for 6 months, I would buy another. Where are you located? I may be able to arange a better price on the SR81. Also if you need an XS size Felt comes in a 650 wheel size with shorter cranks.

Hi George,
thanks for the reply. I'm in fairfield and was looking at the felt at the MBC in clifton hill (although I didn't see the raceline there, only over in prahran). I looked at the Avanti Blade Comp and it was nice but it was a bit out of my price range, I think it was about $1200 (the 2005) and I've only been looking to spend $900 at the most. But I think you're right and that it might be worth going up to the SR81, which would throw these others into the mix as well. I've yet to test the Giant CRX2. Given my limited budget, I decided that getting a good frame was most important and then to get the best parts possible with it. Also, I'm not all that short so I think I need a medium, around 53cm

emma

Ok Emma,

If you decide on the Felt SR81, ask for a price match to
http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au and
http://www.deanwoods.com.au/
Both discount Felt and your LBS should price match. Mine in Perth did so I got between 10-15% off my bike.

I am 170cm tall and ride a 53cm, it is a wee bit big however with a zero offset seatpost (standard on 2005 models) if is a perfect fit.

Another worth a look is the 2004 Giant Perigee, a lady friend of mine rides one, 17" should be your size in those, they are a realy sexy bike for a blonde lady.

Good shopping...

hi gclark8,

i am keen on a felt bike.

i live in perth too and am trying to see what is the best way to go. i got the aus dist off the flet site. i run them and they told me 4 shops here in perth who seel felt. i have rung them and asked for prices etc. at this stage i was looking at getting a frame only - i like the look of the SC1 frame. but obviously a deal on a full bike might be the go. i spotted this thread and am keen to chat more with you re: felt etc, who do did you buy from. the f81, which frame is that built around etc?

maybe we can have a chat by phone

miguel

Hi Miguel,

My Felt came from Runners World, give Phil a try. Bike Force South Perth are now keeping Felt, Vicki would be the one to contact there, also try Scarbro Cycles. Let me know how you get on.

cheers
George

emma after riding my giant crx1 for a couple weeks i could highly recommend the crx series... terry hammond cycles will do 10% off retail $1049 in bay street port melbourne ie around the $900 you mention

i too come from a mountain bike riding background and i find the giant the perfect hybrid as it is more like a road bike but still has enough mountain bike elements to not make unusable on roads, gravel, biketracks etc... where the felt is almost pure road bike with flat bars. (however i love the felt and would have been next on the list)

also check out the trek flat bar options, i believe they have around a $900 option.... and is a great bike

go flat bar and go crx !

ben

ema said:
Hi, I'm looking to buy a flat bar road bike and have looked around a test ridden a few. My budget is pretty limited so the two I've found to be the best so far are the Felt SR91 and a Raceline Forza. I've seen the Felt recommended on here a few times but should I be concerned that the SR91 only has 8speed shifters? and are there any other big differences that I should be taking into account?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

emma

ps. I've also seen a Gitane Mach 3400 that's really nice, but seems weirdly angled frontwards to me. maybe this is because I'm used to riding a mtb and it's more of a road bike angle that I'm not used to, or do Gitane design their bikes differently to most others?