Flat bar gears on drop bars?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by spinkeh, Feb 23, 2005.

1. spinkeh

spinkeh New Member

I'm a long time flat bar user whos only recently started taking longer trips. In the summer im planning to cycle a few hundred miles around Scotland and am looking to make my bike a bit more comfortable for the distances involved.

The problem is im on a fairly low budget, and looking at replacing my flat bar for a road bar with proper road brakes/gears is looking like being around a £125/150 ($240/290) job, more than im comfortable to spend without guarantees that it really would be worth it.

I had a thought that I dont even know is possible. I only really want the drops for cruising at high speed , and would likely return to a more upward position in the city etc.

Would it be possible to use standard flat bar gears and brakes on a drop bar. If i were to find a system that could slide round the bars to the position they would sit on a flat bar, this may suit me better at a more economical price.

Anyone had any experience of trying this, if it is even at all possible?

Tags:

2. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

Buy some road ends and put them on your flat bar.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

For statrers, flat bar stuff is smaller diameter than drop bar.

4. spinkeh

spinkeh New Member

hmm that seems perfect, but unfortunatley living in the uk seems to make these things impossible to get hold of, the place linked to from this site, endless-innovations doesnt ship internationally,

anyone from the UK know where i can get myself these?