Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Flat Bar on Road Bike

Started by mgkaplan · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,136 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 April 2006
Last activity
26 April 2006
Original author
mgkaplan
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,136
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have returned to cycling after being away for about 10 years. I purchased a new Giant OCR Composite 3 bike as it is carbon, has a somewhat more relaxed geometry, and somewhat more riding position than typical road bikes. As I have had a history of lower back problems (L5/S1), I am considering putting a flat (or slightly raised) bar on this bike.

    The bicycle geometry seems identical to Giant's flat bar road bikes (FCR series), and except for the brakes (OCR has road brakes and FCR has V brakes) and the flat bar components, the biciclyes seem identical.

    I also know that drop bars have many more hand positions. Accordingly, I am prepared to add bar ends to the flat bar.

    I am wondering if there is any downside to doing this. My best guess is that, given the carbon frame and componentry, I will end up with a much better flat bar bike than if I had purchased a flat bar bike to begin with. Am I missing something?

    I welcome your input.

  2. mgkaplan said:

    I have returned to cycling after being away for about 10 years. I purchased a new Giant OCR Composite 3 bike as it is carbon, has a somewhat more relaxed geometry, and somewhat more riding position than typical road bikes. As I have had a history of lower back problems (L5/S1), I am considering putting a flat (or slightly raised) bar on this bike.

    The bicycle geometry seems identical to Giant's flat bar road bikes (FCR series), and except for the brakes (OCR has road brakes and FCR has V brakes) and the flat bar components, the biciclyes seem identical.

    I also know that drop bars have many more hand positions. Accordingly, I am prepared to add bar ends to the flat bar.

    I am wondering if there is any downside to doing this. My best guess is that, given the carbon frame and componentry, I will end up with a much better flat bar bike than if I had purchased a flat bar bike to begin with. Am I missing something?

    I welcome your input.

    You would just need to get flat-bar road compatible shifters/brake levers (rather than MTB shifters/brake levers). This is necessary for ideal front derailleur shifting and braking performance.

    bike.shimano.comgroup.jsp

  3. John M said:

    You would just need to get flat-bar road compatible shifters/brake levers (rather than MTB shifters/brake levers). This is necessary for ideal front derailleur shifting and braking performance.

    bike.shimano.comgroup.jsp


    Thanks for the link. My LBS has these components.

    Do know anyone who has done this successfully?

  4. My Wheeler TT/Tri bike (below) has all these Flat Bar Road components: Brake levers, L & R Shifters, Front Derailleur. For the rest its all Ultegra 9 speed. 🙂

  5. mgkaplan said:

    As I have had a history of lower back problems (L5/S1), I am considering putting a flat (or slightly raised) bar on this bike.

    I ride a flat bar, can never ride for long in an aero position, so drops would be useless in my case, due to spondiolytheses [maybe that is the correct spelling] grade1 = 10mm displacement L5/S1....... can't swim,run or play squash any more but can ride the bike.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.