Road Cycling · Public discussion

Flat bar road bike opinions?

Started by Slider2699 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,297 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 October 2003
Last activity
2 October 2003
Original author
Slider2699
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking of buying one of the flat bar road bikes on the market. Plan to use it for errands and
    occasional commuting ( my main commuter is a road bike). I'd like the bike to have rack bosses, and
    fender bosses if possible. I can always use clip on fenders, but need a rack mount. I can spend
    $1000 but would prefer to pay less. I use a slick tired hardtail MTB now, but I'd like to convert
    that back to dirt use. I read a writeup on the Kona Dr. Dew in Bike Mag but it's kind of pricey.
    Anybody have a cheaper alternative?

    Mike

  2. "Slider2699" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of buying one of the flat bar road bikes on the market. Plan


    to

    Quoted message said:

    use it for errands and occasional commuting ( my main commuter is a road bike). I'd like the bike
    to have rack bosses, and fender bosses if


    possible.

    Quoted message said:

    I can always use clip on fenders, but need a rack mount. I can spend $1000 but would prefer to pay
    less. I use a slick tired hardtail MTB now, but


    I'd

    Quoted message said:

    like to convert that back to dirt use. I read a writeup on the Kona Dr.


    Dew

    Quoted message said:

    in Bike Mag but it's kind of pricey. Anybody have a cheaper alternative?

    Mike

    Joe Breeze has begun marketing a line of "Town Bikes" that are designed for errands and shopping.
    See breezerbikes.combreezerbikes.com for more info.

    --
    ~_-* ...G/ \G cyclistats.comcyclistats.com Developers of CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

  3. "Slider2699" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of buying one of the flat bar road bikes on the market. Plan


    to

    Quoted message said:

    use it for errands and occasional commuting ( my main commuter is a road bike). I'd like the bike
    to have rack bosses, and fender bosses if


    possible.

    Quoted message said:

    I can always use clip on fenders, but need a rack mount. I can spend $1000 but would prefer to pay
    less. I use a slick tired hardtail MTB now, but


    I'd

    Quoted message said:

    like to convert that back to dirt use. I read a writeup on the Kona Dr.


    Dew

    Quoted message said:

    in Bike Mag but it's kind of pricey. Anybody have a cheaper alternative?

    Mike,

    I was in the market for one as well, but I was shooting for something with discs and possibly
    suspension. I compiled a list of almost everything I could find. Here's the list from roughly the
    most expensive to the least:

    Cannondale Bad Boy Ulta Gary Fisher Fast City Kona Dr. Dew (and its little brothers dew deluxe and
    dew) Giant OCR Touring (a touring road frame with discs, drop handlebars) Cannondale Road Warrior
    Specialized Sirrus K2 Mach S Fuji Forza Rocky Mountain Metro Jamis Coda Comp Novarra Big Buzz Giant
    Cypress SX Motobecane Cafe Latte / Noir

    Of this list, I think the Specialized Sirrus is probably the best bets. I know it has eyelets,
    v-brakes, and rides well. Heck, the Sirrus Sport even has discs for $800.

    I thought I really wanted one of these, but I have since changed my mind. I built up a flat bar road
    bike from an old schwinn and found that going any kind of distance caused pain in my hands and
    wrists, despite trying several stems and bars and using bar-ends. It was the combination of the
    aggressive position and long distances with the flat bar that did it. I don't have these problems
    with either my road bike or mountain bike. You might evaluate the distances you plan on riding and
    see if you can rent one for a long test ride before you buy. You could have the same problems I did.

    Good luck! -Buck

  4. Buck wrote:
    :: "Slider2699" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: "]news:[email hidden]...
    ::: I'm thinking of buying one of the flat bar road bikes on the market. Plan to use it for errands
    ::: and occasional commuting ( my main commuter is a road bike). I'd like the bike to have rack
    ::: bosses, and fender bosses if possible. I can always use clip on fenders, but need a rack mount.
    ::: I can spend $1000 but would prefer to pay less. I use a slick tired hardtail MTB now, but I'd
    ::: like to convert that back to dirt use. I read a writeup on the Kona Dr. Dew in Bike Mag but it's
    ::: kind of pricey. Anybody have a cheaper alternative?
    ::
    :: Mike,
    ::
    :: I was in the market for one as well, but I was shooting for something with discs and possibly
    :: suspension. I compiled a list of almost everything I could find. Here's the list from roughly the
    :: most expensive to the least:
    ::
    :: Cannondale Bad Boy Ulta Gary Fisher Fast City Kona Dr. Dew (and its little brothers dew deluxe
    :: and dew) Giant OCR Touring (a touring road frame with discs, drop handlebars) Cannondale Road
    :: Warrior Specialized Sirrus K2 Mach S Fuji Forza Rocky Mountain Metro Jamis Coda Comp Novarra Big
    :: Buzz Giant Cypress SX Motobecane Cafe Latte / Noir
    ::
    :: Of this list, I think the Specialized Sirrus is probably the best bets. I know it has eyelets,
    :: v-brakes, and rides well. Heck, the Sirrus Sport even has discs for $800.
    ::
    :: I thought I really wanted one of these, but I have since changed my mind. I built up a flat bar
    :: road bike from an old schwinn and found that going any kind of distance caused pain in my hands
    :: and wrists, despite trying several stems and bars and using bar-ends. It was the combination of
    :: the aggressive position and long distances with the flat bar that did it. I don't have these
    :: problems with either my road bike or mountain bike. You might evaluate the distances you plan on
    :: riding and see if you can rent one for a long test ride before you buy. You could have the same
    :: problems I did.

    Interesting....I was recently looking at the Sirrus...however, after spending over 30 minutes riding
    it at the LBS, I upgraded to a road bike with drop-type bars for the very reason you mention. having
    more options on position just seemed to make a big difference to me.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, "Roger Zoul"

    Quoted message said:

    Buck wrote:
    :: "Slider2699" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: "]news:[email hidden]...
    ::: I'm thinking of buying one of the flat bar road bikes on the market. Plan to use it for
    ::: errands and occasional commuting ( my

    Quoted message said:

    :: I thought I really wanted one of these, but I have since changed my mind. I built up a flat bar
    :: road bike from an old schwinn and found that going any kind of distance caused pain in my hands
    :: and wrists, despite trying several stems and bars and using bar-ends. It was the combination of
    :: the aggressive position and long distances with the flat bar that did it. I don't have these
    :: problems with either my road bike or mountain bike. You might evaluate the distances you plan
    :: on riding and see if you can rent one for a long test ride before you buy. You could have the
    :: same problems I did.

    Interesting....I was recently looking at the Sirrus...however, after spending over 30 minutes
    riding it at the LBS, I upgraded to a road bike with drop-type bars for the very reason you
    mention. having more options on position just seemed to make a big difference to me.

    For people who think they might want a flat-bar bike but fear these comfort issues, a cross bike
    with top-bar add-on levers might be just the ticket:

    sheldonbrown.combrakes.html

    They are designed to add on to your normal brake levers. Sheldon has several times said how much he
    likes the Tektros.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.