Flat bar road bike

prhino

Jan 11, 2006
I'm looking for a flat bar road bike for AU$1000 (Australian dollars) or less. I've had a look at the Gitane 3400 and quite like it, but does anybody have any other suggestions?

prhino said:
I'm looking for a flat bar road bike for AU$1000 (Australian dollars) or less. I've had a look at the Gitane 3400 and quite like it, but does anybody have any other suggestions?
Just some further information. This will be used both for the occasional triathlon, and also some commuting, and I'm quite tall (6 3).

I just fitted one of my road bikes with a mtb flat bar. I wanted something for long distance touring and I like the Cane Creek Ergo bar ends for comfort. I also fitted the bike with short bar ends that are interior to the brakes with bar end shifters Record 10 spd indexed. I found a set of flat bar mtb brakes that have a cable feed for V and Caliper brake styles. So far the bike is a delight to ride and I haven't lost any speed on my Drops. I will be experimenting with an aero bar setup to gain back some of the loss of aerodynamics. I'll just move the bar end shifters out to the end of the aero extensions. I still ride my drops but am having some fun with my unusual but comfortable arrangement.

The Felt SR81 as posted by gclark8 seems like a pretty good deal for $1000. If I were willing to spend another $200 or so ($1200 total), are there any other recommended bikes that have 105 spec gear?

like shokhead, why flats? if you like that position, you can ride in that position with drops, too. with drops, you can also ride on the hoods for varied hand position, and low on the drops for more power and when riding into the wind, none of which options are available with flat bars.

philso said:
like shokhead, why flats? if you like that position, you can ride in that position with drops, too. with drops, you can also ride on the hoods for varied hand position, and low on the drops for more power and when riding into the wind, none of which options are available with flat bars.
I prefer a flat because most flatbars tend to be fitted with thicker wheels/tyres as standard.

But, since some people think a road bike is more appropriate, what particular road bike do you think I should buy?

I am often asked why I ride Flat bars by younger people. When you get to my age its not really a choice, I just don't have the balance or flexiblity. The Flat Bar style was suggested by my gym, the carbon components and suspension seatpost by my Physiotherapist. I recently built a TRY-bike, it is all go from the waist down, all comfort from the waist up.

I don't know prhino's circumstances, but can asure him on the SR81 he will keep up with the rest of the bunch. I changed the tyres recently on the Felt, it made a difference at speed. However, if you are new to cycling, 25mm tyres at 85-90 psi is a more comfortable way to go than 23mm at 120 psi.

gclark8 said:
I am often asked why I ride Flat bars by younger people. When you get to my age its not really a choice, I just don't have the balance or flexiblity. The Flat Bar style was suggested by my gym, the carbon components and suspension seatpost by my Physiotherapist. I recently built a TRY-bike, it is all go from the waist down, all comfort from the waist up.

I don't know prhino's circumstances, but can asure him on the SR81 he will keep up with the rest of the bunch. I changed the tyres recently on the Felt, it made a difference at speed. However, if you are new to cycling, 25mm tyres at 85-90 psi is a more comfortable way to go than 23mm at 120 psi.

Well i went from a Felt SR71 to a reg roadbike. Yes you can keep up with them but the difference is your not as spent. I felt so much better after a 25 mile ride that i ride farther now as with the Felt. I dont know what younger is,i'm 53. My dad was riding a CD R600 at 80. You can and a lot do put 25's on a roadbike and your on the top of the bars 90% of the time or the hoods. I have a bad back and a more relaxed geometery roadbike is the best way to go. Imo,suspension are not much if any help on the road. BTW,most of us dont run 120psi in our 23's.

Most people only understand what they see "marketed" to them and drop bars are sexy (lets face it sex sells). It really doesn't matter how one rides so long as they are comfortable and enjoy them selves. I have a flat bar arrangement on my Ionic Columbus Foco Tubing steel bike (light and the latest). I did this because at 63 my 9cm drop from the saddle to the top of the drops is clearly no longer appropriate. On rides over 50 miles my comfort level starts to be effected. My mtb has flat bars and Cane Creek Ergo bar ends and I found that I liked the feel...so experimenting has become the watch word. Since I don't have a horn, bell, or steamers sticking out the ends of the handle bars the younger riders I encounter think my setup is "cool" and looks somewhat like a TT bike. Who knows maybe they are just patronizing this old grey haired fart, but what do I care. When I finally achieve what I am looking for I am sure it will be unique and VERY COOL. I have ridden this bike for 87 miles since the change and found a vast improvement in the way I feel after my ride.
Tires and tire pressure now that is a topic. If you go to www.roadbikerider.com you can see an ongoing discussion about tire pressure that is very well reasoned. 90 to 100 is what is thought to be optimal. This is by a veteran rider who still races extensively. I never pump my 23c tires above 100 and ride 25c tires (90psig) in the winter with a different tread pattern for the road conditions here in Boulder, CO.

Ride what "feels" the best for you regardless of looks and you will probably ride more. For what it is worth I still keep up with my younger friends with the flat bar arrangement...

I needed to add that you don't need to buy a whole bike to change out the components just a set of tools or a good LBS.

Deanster04 said:
Most people only understand what they see "marketed" to them and drop bars are sexy (lets face it sex sells). It really doesn't matter how one rides so long as they are comfortable and enjoy them selves. I have a flat bar arrangement on my Ionic Columbus Foco Tubing steel bike (light and the latest). I did this because at 63 my 9cm drop from the saddle to the top of the drops is clearly no longer appropriate. On rides over 50 miles my comfort level starts to be effected. My mtb has flat bars and Cane Creek Ergo bar ends and I found that I liked the feel...so experimenting has become the watch word. Since I don't have a horn, bell, or steamers sticking out the ends of the handle bars the younger riders I encounter think my setup is "cool" and looks somewhat like a TT bike. Who knows maybe they are just patronizing this old grey haired fart, but what do I care. When I finally achieve what I am looking for I am sure it will be unique and VERY COOL. I have ridden this bike for 87 miles since the change and found a vast improvement in the way I feel after my ride.
Tires and tire pressure now that is a topic. If you go to www.roadbikerider.com you can see an ongoing discussion about tire pressure that is very well reasoned. 90 to 100 is what is thought to be optimal. This is by a veteran rider who still races extensively. I never pump my 23c tires above 100 and ride 25c tires (90psig) in the winter with a different tread pattern for the road conditions here in Boulder, CO.

Ride what "feels" the best for you regardless of looks and you will probably ride more. For what it is worth I still keep up with my younger friends with the flat bar arrangement...

Different tire pattern for the road contitions? Right there make me ? if he races. I steer riders away from flatbars if they are moving up to it because most will last a year and then want a reg road bike as i did. There are still alot that belive if you have a roadbike,you have to ride in the drops when that is not true.

To each his own; so those of you who like drops and dislike a flat bar, enjoy your choice and good riding! But some of us much prefer a flat bar. In fact, I think I would abandon my 100 mile a week bike commute if I had to use a drop bar.
The flat bar gives a more upright posture, keeping the neck straighter (major comfort advantage to me), letting you see and be seen better, and keeping pressure off your hands. Yes, I know you can ride on the hoods of a drop bar, and get almost as upright, or perhaps just as upright, (and most riders I see ride the hoods almost all of the time), but there are two disadvantages: Your hands are rather close together, reducing leverage (and thus control) when you hit rough road. And, you have to reach for the shifters, or if you have STI shifters, your (cold weather) gloves get caught in them (significant disadvantage for a cold climate commuter). Trigger shifters or grip shifters on a flat bar are right there, and work great with gloves.
A disadvantage of this more upright posture is the extra wind resistence. If you race, this is a serious thing. But for commuting anything less than 10 miles each way, I judge it to be a minor issue; very minor compared to the comfort and security advantages I find in the flat bar.

Chero

To settle the question of which is faster, look at the pix of Craig Walton at Noosa, Australia's fastest bike rider.
http://craigwalton.com.au/noosa.html
No drops! TT bars!! Look just like flat bars with bar ends to me. OK, he has added aero bars, but on the 80kph descent uses the flat part of the bar not the aero position.