flat bar road bikes decision

figrin said:
I'm about to purchase one of these flat top roadster as a commuter/fitness bike first and a touring bike 2nd.

Deciding between the CRX2, Avanti Blade Comp and CRX1. Saw the 2005 CRX2 and Blade and both have front eyelets/braze-ons, but I think the 2006 versions of CRX1/2 is missing that. Can anyone verify that please for me?
yep you are spot on about the 06 CRX1&2 models not have front eyelets.... it is because the fork is a carbon one as opposed to cromoly

i don't know how strong the 06 CRX1&2 wheelsets are... they run R550 & R500 respectively

if i was doing touring i'd probably go for a 06 CRX3... because the wheelset should be stronger and you have a triple on the front

It's been a while now and my CRX is still going strong

Since then I have added an OCR C3 to my stable BUT I still prefer riding my CRX for commuting and slow ride duties

To make the gearing more palatable for everyday loaded use, I have added a LX rear deralleur and 11-34 cassette....

I've given up for now with my old apollo commuter... too many bikes, when I have time, I will put on the SRAM Dual drive system.

My friend is now looking for a flat bar, more choice than ever now. He is considering the Apollo Forza vs Exceed but also anything in the price range of 700-1000... the cheaper the better. He is going to start off as a fitness weekend rider with a view a commuting eventually.

Any other recommendations?

Anyone read a good comparo somewhere?

robalert said:
It's been a while now and my CRX is still going strong

Since then I have added an OCR C3 to my stable BUT I still prefer riding my CRX for commuting and slow ride duties

To make the gearing more palatable for everyday loaded use, I have added a LX rear deralleur and 11-34 cassette....

I've given up for now with my old apollo commuter... too many bikes, when I have time, I will put on the SRAM Dual drive system.

My friend is now looking for a flat bar, more choice than ever now. He is considering the Apollo Forza vs Exceed but also anything in the price range of 700-1000... the cheaper the better. He is going to start off as a fitness weekend rider with a view a commuting eventually.

Any other recommendations?

Anyone read a good comparo somewhere?
I just purchsed a Marin Mill Valley, a bike on the high end of the range. I looked at many. The reality is that the equipment/wheelsets, etc. are rather similar in this range of flatbars, with an ultegra bit here and a deore bit there. I'm sure that ANY bike in this range will make you happy, or has made you happy in the case of the OP

Just bought a CRX 1 too!!

I was planning on the trek SOHO originally but it was way too heavy and those handlebars look cool but I found the sweep just terrible. Very funky looking bike but not for me after the all important test ride.

Next was a Scott SUB. Very cool looking bike but I could not find one in a large/x large with 700cc wheels in brissie. Plus the 10 was the one I liked and it retails for approx $1500 and weighs in around 11.-12 kgs

I moved onto an 07 trek 7.5 fx disc which was a little lighter and had discs. Basically I am a mountain biker and just love disc brakes.

Unfortunately no more 07's in my size. I am 187cm

Cycle shop had a 08 7.5fx (no more discs for 08)and a crx2 both in a large. The Bontrager wheels on the trek rolled really nice and the carbon fork was a treat. However riser bars were uncomfortable and the MTB cranks ran out of juice on the flat

The crx2 was lighter and alot more snappy than the trek but the difference btwn steel forks and carbon was noticeable. (ie carbon better in my opinion, despite my MTB background and a general avoidance of this material previously)

There was a crx1 in an XL on the floor reduced in price due to a few cosmetic scratches. Took it for a test and pretty much perfect. Dropped the adjustable stem down to -10 degrees for better handling on the larger frame.

It came with spds which the bike shop swapped out for eggbeaters for my mtb shoes at no cost.

Throw in a saddle bag, spare tube and levers, another pump and some oury grips with bar ends and parted with 1200 smackers

This bike is fast but doesnt leap forward like a $3000 road bike.

I need to cut the bars and add a rack, panniers and maybe some fenders.

I think Ebay will take care of the rest of that gear.

Brakes will definately be an upgrade in the near future. I am used to Juicy 7s and the tektro brakes are clearly a component Giant have scrimped on to keep the cost down and the profit up!! Not that you can really complain with the spec on any giant for the price.

I notice the larger frame when cornering. It requires more muscle than I am used to with smaller frames but on the other hand I didnt buy this bike for its cornering, I bought it to get to work as quickly as possible with reliability and safety as concerns as well.

I cant wait to buy a racer as well but studying and working means no time for excessive training and racing. Plus any spare time on weekends is for MTBing anyway!!!

Sorry for the long post but I have been trawling these forums while contemplating which bike!?!?

Cheers for all the advice and now to get out there and rack up some serious kms

(and thinking about study of course)

Mike

Congrats!

I think purchase does often come down to price and what is available. I find bike brands are so competitive these days. My colleague has a LIVESTRONG 7.5FX Trek, very nice bike and a bit more relaxed and stronger than my CRX... but also a tad slower.

I am very happy with my CRX1, a little bit slower on hills than my OCR C3 but not by much and much more comfy in longer rides. Also the CRX is by far more safer and fun to ride in traffic due to the geometry and MTB style controls.

Personally, I have found the tektros to be adequate for road riding, commuting, riding in the rain. I have rarely found I needed anything more braking power. I am so sold by Vs, my XC bike runs XT parrallel push V brakes... though with more hardcore riding, I still like my hydro discs.

Yeah its just a big come down from hydros to tektros!!!

Notice you ride a DMR Trailstar. Friend of mine rides one of those as well. He is a downhill nut but loves the trailstar for the lighter duty fun stuff. Has a heavy kit on it aswell.

Well the trek 4300 with slicks is off to the recycle shop this week. Needs a new bb, cassette, chain, cables, brake pads. The forks, which were always locked out now slide out and clunk when I unlock them!!

Bring on the crx!!