Flat bar shifters on bullhorn bar?

JohnnyOh

Jun 21, 2012
Hello all, new to the forums and appreciate everyones input

I received a hybrid GT last fall and have not driven my car since, my commute for the summer has doubled and I find myself wanting more hand positions on my bike, i recently upgraded my bike to a 7 speed (it was a 6 speed before, the shifter level broke) and to convert to a drop bar with lever shifters I would need to upgrade to an 8 speed which I cannot do financially.

My big question is - is it possible to put regular flat bar shifters on a bullhorn/pursuit bar? if not what are some good alternatives to a drop bar without switching out the shifters? The reason being is I do not have alot of extra cash floating around, saving money this summer for books and other school supplies for the fall.

I appreciate all feedback! Thanks everyone

So your basic issue is that you want more hand positions, and you've currently got a flat bar?

The key here is that there are two different grip area diameters - "road" and "Everything else". And they won't take the same style of shifters/levers.

Easiest fix is bar ends. You keep the current flat bar, shifters and all that. Add bar ends and you're pretty darn close to a bullhorn at very little cost/effort.

There are even drop bar ends, but then you'd probably want to add drop bar brake levers to be able to ride on the hoods. Depending on what brakes you have, this may require further replacements/purchases before it all works out. You may have to shim the clamp as well.

Or you can get a trekking bar. It stays within the straight bar size, so everything will transfer straight over and'll offer three different hand positions.

Or get a brahma bar, which pretty much is a flat bar sized bullhorn. If you already have a flat bar and money is tight, go for the bar ends instead

There are flat bar sized drop bars out there, but they're a bit rare, and I've never needed one bad enough to track one down.