Flat bar Trek 1200 or Giant CRX1

RidingPowerlift

Aug 9, 2005
Hi all,

I've been riding to work for about 18 months (about 8 k's each way) on an old Avanti. I'm now in the market for a new bike and like what I see on both the Trek 1200 and Giant CRX1. I'm pretty heavy, about 92 kilos so I want a strong light bike and both seem to fit the bill. I'm in Tasmania and the roads are sometrimes a bit rough.

Which are the best wheels? the Giant's Shimano R550 16/20H or the Trek's Alex AT450.

Any comments about these two bikes or other similar would be much appreciated.

cheers

Either or both bikes & wheelsets should be OK. Put Felt SR## and Giant CRX# on the list to see also... :cool:

For someone over 120kg I have a Felt Trevisa for sale.. (Perth only)

Just poked my head in to say I was in Hobart and Perth aboard the USS Carl Vinson in 1994. Very beautiful countryside you have there! I wish I'd had my bike with me. I would love to get over to Aus/NZ on my own when I retire. Good luck finding a bike, mate!

I went to Hobart in 1994 and went on the USS Carl Vinson!! Big ship. I think it had just returned from the Gulf.

I went through the exact same dilemma about two months ago. I was on the verge of buying a CRX1 when I came across an Avanti Blade Pro on sale and got that instead (non AUS/NZ readers won't know what that is). Anyway, put Avanti on your list, but for bang for the buck its hard to go past the Giant: wheels, gears etc much better than the Trek.

BTW, Shimano describes the R550 wheels as "dura-ace design at a 105 price level" and the Trek's wheels have Tiagra hubs. So Shimano would probably say the Giant's wheels are better.