Flat bars on road bike - What brake levers?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Stein Ballangru, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. If I was to change the drop bars on a road bike (with roadbike brakes, such as 105 or Tiagra) to a
    flat handlebar: Could I use standard v-brake levers, or do I need special "non-servo wave" levers?
    If I do; what levers would you recommend?

    What would the results be If i went on and used v-brake levers anyway?

    Stein

    Tags:

  2. Stein Ballangrud Andersen wrote:

    > If I was to change the drop bars on a road bike (with roadbike brakes, such as 105 or Tiagra) to a
    > flat handlebar: Could I use standard v-brake levers, or do I need special "non-servo wave" levers?
    > If I do; what levers would you recommend?
    >
    > What would the results be If i went on and used v-brake levers anyway?

    Shimano do a part-groupset (imaginatively called "Flat Handlebar") specially for use with road
    components, and you need to ask for BL-R440 brake levers.

    V-brake levers pull lots of cable, which will give a very firm feeling brake with little real power.

  3. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    "Stein Ballangrud Andersen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If I was to change the drop bars on a road bike (with roadbike brakes, such as 105 or Tiagra) to a
    > flat handlebar: Could I use standard v-brake levers, or do I need special "non-servo wave" levers?
    > If I do; what levers would you recommend?
    >
    > What would the results be If i went on and used v-brake levers anyway?
    >
    > Stein

    Wouldn't "old fashion" cantilever mt bike levers also work? Could probably pick up used ones pretty
    cheap or free off an old junk yard mt bike (I see bikes in the scrap metal bin at the transfer
    station once in a while). Rivendell sells new ones as well
    (http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/brakes/15112.html).

  4. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    Old school Canti levers work fine on the bikes I build this way. If no old stuff is around, try
    Tektro MT4.0, MT2.1 Eclipse, or the RT350AG. They all switch from V to canti. Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles
    "Where art meets science"
    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stein Ballangrud Andersen wrote:
    >
    > > If I was to change the drop bars on a road bike (with roadbike brakes,
    > > such as 105 or Tiagra) to a flat handlebar: Could I use standard
    > > v-brake levers, or do I need special "non-servo wave" levers? If I do;
    > > what levers would you recommend?
    > >
    > > What would the results be If i went on and used v-brake levers anyway?
    >
    > Shimano do a part-groupset (imaginatively called "Flat Handlebar")
    > specially for use with road components, and you need to ask for BL-R440
    > brake levers.
    >
    > V-brake levers pull lots of cable, which will give a very firm feeling
    > brake with little real power.

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Canti brake levers would work not V brake levers.

    I MTB 2004

  6. Stein Ballangrud Andersen wrote:

    > If I was to change the drop bars on a road bike (with roadbike brakes, such as 105 or Tiagra) to a
    > flat handlebar: Could I use standard v-brake levers,

    No, but any lever _not_ designed for direct-pull (V-type) brakes will work.

    We have some unusually nice NOS Ritchey levers that we particularly recommend for such applications,
    I use 'em myself. See:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#leversup

    > or do I need special "non-servo wave" levers?

    This doesn't have anything to do with "Servo-wave."

    > What would the results be If i went on and used v-brake levers anyway?

    When you would squeeze the levers, the brakes would engage with a very short stroke, but they
    wouldn't squeeze the rims very hard.

    Basically, you would have to squeeze twice as hard for the same amount of braking.

    If you are a very light person with very strong hands it could work, but it's basically a Bad Idea.

    Sheldon "WCS" Brown Evanston, Illinois +-------------------------------------------+
    | Any smoothly functioning technology | will have the appearance of magic. | --Arthur C. Clarke |
    +-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  7. * Zog The Undeniable
    > Stein Ballangrud Andersen wrote:
    >
    > > If I was to change the drop bars on a road bike (with roadbike brakes, such as 105 or Tiagra) to
    > > a flat handlebar: Could I use standard v-brake levers, or do I need special "non-servo wave"
    > > levers? If I do; what levers would you recommend? What would the results be If i went on and
    > > used v-brake levers anyway?
    >
    > Shimano do a part-groupset (imaginatively called "Flat Handlebar") specially for use with road
    > components, and you need to ask for BL-R440 brake levers.
    >
    > V-brake levers pull lots of cable, which will give a very firm feeling brake with little
    > real power.

    I was afraid of something like that. :-(

    Stein

  8. * rosco
    > Wouldn't "old fashion" cantilever mt bike levers also work? Could probably pick up used ones
    > pretty cheap or free off an old junk yard mt bike (I see bikes in the scrap metal bin at the
    > transfer station once in a while). Rivendell sells new ones as well
    > (http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/brakes/15112.html).

    Yes, but it's a new bike, so It'd be fun with new levers as well.

    Stein

  9. * Bruni
    > Old school Canti levers work fine on the bikes I build this way. If no old stuff is around, try
    > Tektro MT4.0, MT2.1 Eclipse, or the RT350AG. They all switch from V to canti.

    Thanks. I think I have both some Tektro levers and some old Dia Compe PC7's lying around, come to
    think of it.

    Stein