Flat Bars to Drop Bars

little_rico

Jan 28, 2010
First post!

Anyhow, I recently switch from a single speed road bike to an 18 speed road bike for commuter purposes in a relatively hilly area. I bought a Masi Caffe Solo (pictured below) because I really liked the bike and got a pretty great deal on it. The only thing I don't like is that it has flat bars instead of drop bars and I'm used to drop bars and prefer the "diversity" of riding positions. I realize this may cost a bit to change them over (new bars, shifters/brakes, etc.), but I'm curious if it is a wise thing to do for a bike like this. It seems to have normal road bike dimensions and whatnot, but I'm curious if there is something else about this bike that makes it unsuitable to go to drop bars? Sorry for how stupid that may sound, but I'm just asking if it is a good idea or not beyond just preferring the drop style.

Thanks!

That bike will be just fine with drop bars. Yes, it'll cost a bit to make the switch, but outside of that, there's no reason not to.

If the bike is a good fit for you now, it may be too long for you when you have switched to drop bars.

yes and those cantilevers brakes will work fine with road levers (V-brakes don't)

It can be done at some expense and fit will likely no tbe ideal.

The question is: would you be better off saving the money you'd spend on the conversion and put it towards a proper road bike?

I did convert a hard tail MTB to drop bars, using bar end shifters. Cost was around $350. See the Blizzard on this page.

What makes it any different than any other road bike other than the handlebars? It IS a road bike... just with flat bars. Can you explain the difference? Is it unsuitable for long rides? It is advertised as an "urban commuter" but I assumed that was mostly due to the flat bars.

little_rico said:
What makes it any different than any other road bike other than the handlebars? It IS a road bike... just with flat bars. Can you explain the difference? Is it unsuitable for long rides? It is advertised as an "urban commuter" but I assumed that was mostly due to the flat bars.

Road Bikes have a special geometry in which the stem/handlebars are an important feature. They give you good aerodynamics and allow you to have at least 3 different ways to place your arms & body, cool feature for a long ride and for racing (where you need to climb, to sprint, to rest)

Urban/commuters bikes have a different purpose and are actually different. Its not only the flat bar that makes them different. (checkout_ gears, brakes, weight, geometry, saddle, pedals, wheels)

I would say that this is not strictly a road bike. Looks (from my eye on the geometry) more like a hybrid (designed for more upright seating position with shorter reach).

This is not to say that drop bars wont work, but it will mean a change to the way you sit on the bike (as well as bars, stem and levers). This can have consequences for balalnce and handling which are not imediately obvious right now.

If the specs suggest a road style geometry, however, then it will probably work.

little_rico said:

The definition of what a "road" bike is has changed with time ...

To over-simplify ... shortly after WWII, you could buy a track bike, a road bike, a kid's bike, or a tandem. Yes, there was actually a time before MTBs!

Regular & touring bikes were road bikes whose frame had a taller seat tube ... and, therefore a taller head tube ... and, therefore the handlebars were higher. The bike may have had drop bars OR 3-speed type, upright bars. The wheel size varied. When you stopped, the bike was simply leaned to the left-or-right depending on the rider's preference.

Racing bikes were road bikes whose frame was a smaller size than a regular-or-"touring " bike would have, thus allowing the rider to achieve a more aerodynamic position if s/he chose.

Cyclocross bikes were the same bikes which were ridden during the "regular" racing season which were shod with fatter tires.

Track bikes had higher BBs and the "dropout" faced the rear to allow for a shorter wheelbase.

At the moment, it seems that most people only consider a "road" bike to be a bike which closely resembles a racing bike.

Your MASI was-and-is a road bike ... it's just not considered to be set up for long distance riding by most people ...

Of course, one person's long distance riding may be considered another person's short ride ...

SOME Flat Bar bikes may have a longer top tube to compensate for the lack of reach that a Flat Bar has when compared with the forward reach of a Drop bar.

Having said that, be aware that different handlebars have different reach & bend AND where you mount the brake levers will affect the overall forward reach; so, if you aren't getting the SAME handlebars as you have on your SS then be sure to check the specs OR get the handlebars, first.

Since you already have a bike with drop bars, presuming you like the fit of your SS, you just need to install a STEM & handlebar on your MASI whose forward reach matches that of your SS bike ...

So, if your SS has a 54cm top tube and the MASI has a 54cm top tube, then you will (probably) want to install a stem that has the same length ...

If your SS has a 54cm top tube and the MASI's top tube is 56cm, then you would probably want a stem that is 2cm shorter than the stem on the SS ... etc.

If you are wise shopper (i.e., eBay/etc.) and do the work yourself, then for about $200, you can buy a pair of Campagnolo 10-speed (non-QS recommended) shifters which are compatible with most Shimano drivetrains (some tweaking may-or-may-not be required ... allow $140+ on eBay for a set WITH cables/housing -- you can spend MORE, of course), a set of drop bars + stem (if you feel it is necessary to change the length) + handlebar tape. You'll want a mini-V brake for the front (some people say you don't need to make the accommodation) OR replace the current V-brakes with cantilever brakes (you'll need cable hangers ... depending on how much you pay for the cantilever brake calipers, the cable hangers may actually cost more!) ...

Whether you spend more OR less depends on YOU.

Rico-

Have you made the conversion to drop bars for this bike? I have an 07 Bianchi Castro Valley.. a very similar commuter to what you purchased. Like yours, mine came with flat bars that I'm hoping to convert to drop. If you've done the conversion, I'd love to know how it went, the components you used, and the total investment if possible.

Thanks!

Rico-

Have you made this conversion? I have a bianchi commuter with flat bars.. very similar to yours. I'm also looking at converting to drop; I'd love to know the expense and components used in your conversion if possible.

Thanks!

Punters need to be aware that simply changing the bars to drops does have quite a big effect on the size of the bike, in terms of the reach.

I had a rigid MTB for years that was simply too small for me, bought when I was young and silly. When I changed it to drops, it was all of a sudden just the right size.

If your flat bar bike is the right size for you, you will need to shorten the stem considerably to keep the same reach.