Flat feet and Bike shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Duvall

Does anyone have a recommendation for a road shoe that has a straight last to it? My feet are flat
beyond belief and I have developed issues with inflamed ganglia on my arches. Very painful.
Orthotics only put additional stress and pressure on the area.

Currently, I am using Shimano R-122 with the SPD-R cleat setup.

Thanks

--
8BPS

Joe,

You might try SIDI GENIUS. They have an arch compression strap that allows adjustment for different
height of arches.

Jim Toth

Did try the SIDI shoes on at one time, but had some fit issues with them. The "last" of the shoe
refers to the bottom sole shape. A straight lasted shoe will run wider at the arch area. This is
what I am looking for.

Joe

JB TOTH wrote:

> Joe,
>
> You might try SIDI GENIUS. They have an arch compression strap that allows adjustment for
> different height of arches.
>
> Jim Toth

--
8BPS

I too have totally flat wide feet (as did my Dad and as does my son) and I delayed switching to
clipless pedals because I couldn't find shoes that suited my feet. Finally Nashbar had SIDI
Forest mountain bike shoes on sale so I ordered a pair and they were so perfect that I wear them
all the time, not just on the bike. I quickly ordered 10 more pairs which should be a lifetime
supply I hope. I have promised to give one pair to my son (only fair since he inherited his awful
feet from me)

I think the SIDI Forest is discontinued but you may still find a pair somewhere. Nashbar and
Performance had some sizes the last time I looked. I found that I needed size 44 rather than my
usual 45. Other SIDI models may be just as good, I hope so.

Good luck,
Bob

Joe Duvall <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a road shoe that has a straight last to it? My feet are flat
> beyond belief and I have developed issues with inflamed ganglia on my arches. Very painful.
> Orthotics only put additional stress and pressure on the area.
>
> Currently, I am using Shimano R-122 with the SPD-R cleat setup.
>
> Thanks

In article <[email protected]>, Joe Duvall <[email protected]> writes:

>Does anyone have a recommendation for a road shoe that has a straight last to it? My feet are flat
>beyond belief and I have developed issues with inflamed ganglia on my arches. Very painful.
>Orthotics only put additional stress and pressure on the area.

My wife has a similar problem. Her feet tend to "go to sleep" while riding. The most sucessful
combination for her makes me cringe. She does very well with Power Grips and (brace yourself) actual
"tennis shoes!"

The point is that your solution might be equally as unique and improbable.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

go to a better foot doctor a good orthotic is like a good saddle - pressure on bones, not nerves or
flesh and hence no pain. podiatrists are witch doctors - you just need a medicine man who has a
different one to the current.

"Joe Duvall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Does anyone
have a recommendation for a road shoe that has a straight last to it? My feet are flat beyond belief
and I have developed issues with inflamed ganglia on my arches. Very painful. Orthotics only put
additional stress and pressure on the area.

Currently, I am using Shimano R-122 with the SPD-R cleat setup.

Thanks

--
8BPS

On 03 May 2003 02:50:22 GMT, [email protected] (TBGibb) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Joe Duvall <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>Does anyone have a recommendation for a road shoe that has a straight last to it? My feet are flat
>>beyond belief and I have developed issues with inflamed ganglia on my arches. Very painful.
>>Orthotics only put additional stress and pressure on the area.
>
>My wife has a similar problem. Her feet tend to "go to sleep" while riding. The most sucessful
>combination for her makes me cringe. She does very well with Power Grips and (brace yourself)
>actual "tennis shoes!"
>
>The point is that your solution might be equally as unique and improbable.
>
>Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

Hush Puppies with nice, big BMX platforms. Great for flat feet, infinite pressure point variety, Q
adjustment. Wrap those toesies over the front edge of the platforms and yer ready to do a little
anklin' for a boost up those brief nuissance hills without downshifting. ATB comps (Performance) are
very nice; smaller, lightweight, strong, comfortable, good grip w/o tearing up the soles. No hotfoot
with either.

Breatheable Hush Puppies for no stinko, unfortunately made in China these days at same expense
(profiteering rip-off).

Don't need no steenking clips, either: (previously referenced by smokey):

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/pedals_clips_straps/14030.html and
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/pedals_clips_straps/14047.html

Fine fellows those at Rivendell. Smart, too, and beautiful bikes. (I settle for the poor man's
version -- $40 rescued Chicago Schwinn Passage, 26 pounder, a fine all-day comfortable roller.)

Joe Duvall might even consider Biopace rings and cadence <60!

www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

And, no, one doesn't have to mash with them, or wreck the knees.

No need to be thrashing all that leg meat at higher cadences -- good argument that power output hits
diminishing return after 50-60 rpm.

Mild aerobics may be fine, but extended hyperventilation often leads to vasoconstriction,
numb/tingly extremeties. And, unfortunately, even heart attacks among the fitness gurus in
their 50's.

------------

Ya ain't going to catch me this year, Tom. 2881 YTD, 1230 last month, settling in for easy
monthly 1000s.

Bruce Ball retro, comfortable street clothes, execrater of many modern cycling practices, flat and
happy feet -- deliver us from arch supports

Are you using cycling specific orthotics? Orthotics designed for walking and running are not that
effective for cycling in my personal experience. There are a few good people to work with on this
including:

Andy Pruitt (no intro needed) http://www.bch.org/sportsmedicine/bios/andy.html

Russell Bolig (who has been featured in Velonews having made orthotics for Lance)
http://www.edenwebdesign.com/ctrwebsite2/podium.html

Doug Ehrenberg is a Podiatrist I have used before with good results. http://www.wellfeet.com/

I got mine from a local pedorthist who scanned my feet which seemed to work well. Her website is at:
http://www.footwerx.com

There are also custom made cycling shoes which work but are pricey.

Alan

"Joe Duvall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a road shoe that has a straight last to it? My feet are flat
> beyond belief and I have developed issues with inflamed ganglia on my arches. Very painful.
>
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> 8BPS

On Sat, 03 May 2003 13:12:17 +0000, Alan Fishman wrote:

> Are you using cycling specific orthotics? Orthotics designed for walking and running are not that
> effective for cycling in my personal experience. There are a few good people to work with on this
> including:
>

Thanks for the links. It seems that even Diadora has moved towards a curved last, so my hard-to-fit
feet have now become impossible to fit feet. I hate to spend $$$$ after just buying new shoes... But
it seems that I have to....

To the OP: Try Diadora. They used to fit me very well - either my feet have gotten flatter or their
lasts have gotten curvier, but YMMV.

-Dondo

Joe Duvall <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>
> Thanks

I've got flat wide feet also. I recently bought Sidi Dominator 4's in the Mega width. They're wide,
though in a somewhat strange way, like too wide in the toe box; it's taken a while but I've got them
adjusted to fit my feet. I also had to replace the stock insoles with the (thicker) insoles from my
old clipless shoes. I found the sole has plastic ridges on the outside that dug into my fat feet,
but with a slightly thicker insole they're fine, and the whole sole is basically flat. They're
pricey, though I swear they added 1mph to my speed.

I have wide, flat feet and have been comfortable in Sidi Mega shoes. I ride a road bike but use
Dominator Megas, because they are easier to walk in.

Joel Solomon

Again, I know I must sound like a shill for them but Rocket 7 shoes solved all my foot problems-I
wear a 13AAA and my feet are flat. Phil Brown

Many thanks to all of you for sharing your adventures and recommendations. I did order a pair of the
Rocket7 orthotics as well as having a drawer full of custom orthotics and various pads and shims.
All of which only aggravated the problem. Unfortunately, there is nothing there for orthotics to
support. The traditional arch designed into most shoes only serves to add pressure to my poor excuse
for a foot. Still have managed to have a very active life in spite of the problems

Perhaps the best suggestion is to have Rocket 7 make a custom shoe. But I do have to be impressed
with the gentleman who purchased 10 pairs of Sidi shoes.!

Phil Brown wrote:

> Again, I know I must sound like a shill for them but Rocket 7 shoes solved all my foot problems-I
> wear a 13AAA and my feet are flat. Phil Brown

--
8BPS

Ok, here's question, are you Tom Gibb who lives in Poway CA?

TBGibb wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:
>
>>Ya ain't going to catch me this year, Tom. 2881 YTD, 1230 last month, settling in for easy
>>monthly 1000s.
>
> Perhaps, but don't slack off. I'm only 700 behind you and without your full 1230 last month we
> could be neck and neck. I have a short tour coming up and an old riding pal and I have
> re-activated our riding relationship so with that and some tours in the planning stages I'm
> looking forward to some good miles. Do you still have the same E-mail address as last season?
>
>>Bruce Ball retro, comfortable street clothes, execrater of many modern cycling practices, flat and
>>happy feet -- deliver us from arch supports
>
> I'll take his word for the flat but happy feet, and I can vouch for the "retro, comfortable street
> clothes" part. He's the only netster that I've met by chance. I saw a hybrid bike with a nice new
> Brooks saddle locked up at the grocery store. A bit later I came by again and saw the owner
> hanging grocery bags on it in various ways. We spoke and it didn't take too long to connect when
> he stated he just got the saddle from "Harris." Although I did get to laugh at myself for trying
> at first to place "Harris" in the local bicycle retail scene.
>
> Tom Gibb <[email protected]>

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 "So i get the chance to reread my postings to asr at times, with a corresponding conservation
of the almighty leviam00se, Kai Henningsen." -- Megahal (trained on asr), 1998-11-06

What cleats do Dominators support?

[email protected] (Joel Solomon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have wide, flat feet and have been comfortable in Sidi Mega shoes. I ride a road bike but use
> Dominator Megas, because they are easier to walk in.
>
> Joel Solomon

> [email protected] (Joel Solomon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have wide, flat feet and have been comfortable in Sidi Mega shoes. I
ride a
> > road bike but use Dominator Megas, because they are easier to walk in.

"Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What cleats do Dominators support?

All the two-bolts side by side SPD type cleats, the two bolts fore and aft Look MTB cleats, and a
three-screw toeclip pedal cleat.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.