Flat glass ceramic cooktop - pan or pot size

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by P Bennett, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. P Bennett

    P Bennett Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Maytag Gemini with a glass-ceramic cooktop. It says in the users manual not to use a pan
    with a bottom larger than the element by
    1/2 to 1 inch. The largest element is 9 inches. I need to use a 4 gallon stock pot and I can't find
    one that is less than 11 inches. My question is, what happens if you go over by 2 inches? will it
    damage the element or just not cook correctly? I will be using a very flat bottom stock pot.

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Tags:

  2. Sandra

    Sandra Guest

    I have been using canning pots and pans which are 3 inches wider than the burner rim on my gemini
    ceramic top and the edges take a while longer to cook the food compared to the food in the centre,
    but other than that nothing happens. Just make sure the pans are flat and not warped. Hope it helps!

  3. P Bennett

    P Bennett Guest

    [email protected] (sandra) wrote in message news:<135b89c1.[email protected]>...
    > I have been using canning pots and pans which are 3 inches wider than the burner rim on my gemini
    > ceramic top and the edges take a while longer to cook the food compared to the food in the
    > centre, but other than that nothing happens. Just make sure the pans are flat and not warped.
    > Hope it helps!

    Hi Sandra,

    That's what I needed to know.

    Thank you very much for your response.

  4. Anny Middon

    Anny Middon Guest

    "P Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Maytag Gemini with a glass-ceramic cooktop. It says in the users manual not to use a pan
    > with a bottom larger than the element by
    > 1/2 to 1 inch. The largest element is 9 inches. I need to use a 4 gallon stock pot and I can't
    > find one that is less than 11 inches. My question is, what happens if you go over by 2 inches?
    > will it damage the element or just not cook correctly? I will be using a very flat bottom
    > stock pot.

    I had a glass-ceramic cooktop for a while and hated it. The problem with using pots larger than
    the element was that somehow they triggered some built-in failsafe and automatically turned the
    burner off. So I'd put on a large pot of water for pasta and come back to find it not boiling, but
    barely warm.

    Anny