flat handlebars on a drop down road bike??? can it be done

jrstudman81

Banned
Aug 18, 2011
Can you put flat handlebars on a racing road bike? Or is this stupid? I'm more comfortable with flat bars like I used to ride when I was a teenager on my mtn. bikes. I feel like i'm going to fall off the bike when I ride a road bike with drop downs, I don' t know why. I don't want to go back to mountain biking, I like the look of the road bikes. Maybe some mtn. bike style handlebars on a BMC road bike, can this be done, because I want to buy the BMC racemachine rm01.

It can be done, but you lose so many of the benefits, and you won't be able to mount the shifters/brakes.

If you want a flat-bar bike, buy a flat-bar bike. Otherwise, recognise the advantages to a proper road bike (aero, turn in, multiple positions) and get used to it.

Easily done. Making a guess that you're not going to make the swap yourself, so have it be part of your order when you buy the bike. The shop has to assemble the bike anyway so might as well be done with flat bar components. Will save you labor $$. Both SRAM and Shimano have flat bar shifters that index with their road components. Pick some brake levers and you have what you want. Figure $300-$500+ extra. Depend on components you select. Shop may work with you trading put parts. If not sell drop bar component on eBay or Craislist. You won't lose a lot of aerodynamics if you are't planning to ride in the drops anyway.

You're going to put mtn bike handlebars on a full carbon race bike? Maybe you check out your LBS for a nice hybrid or CX...

Originally Posted by sunburned .

You're going to put mtn bike handlebars on a full carbon race bike? Maybe you check out your LBS for a nice hybrid or CX...

+1. If you want a flat bar bike, then buy a bike that was meant to have a flat bar. You will get better performance and more satisfaction from a bike that is equipped as it was intended to be. Putting a flat bar on a high end racing bike would be akin to putting a Yugo grille on Corvette.

JRS81 - Go for it - eccentricity is cool.  Convention sux.  Slap a  Swatch watch rubber crystal guard on that Vacheron Constantin and wear it proudly.

I see no problem with your preferred upgrade. I had precisely the opposite done on my mountain bike, a Giant Boulder, and I bought used drop bars and brakes, new stem, and had a local bike shop put everything together for me. They had to re-cable everything, as well as install a stem-mounted friction shifter. I probably have about $50-60 in the whole conversion at best. Shop used stuff and you can save a bundle like I did. I like the more natural (for me) hand positions of the drop bars, as well as the stem friction shifters.
Giant Boulder: $200
Stem: $10
Drop bars $15
Stem shifter $10
Cable & labor $15 or so, as I recall
The above is as close as I can remember. I felt no need to buy so-called "hi-end" while shopping, and I believe you should consider this a low-end estimate of what your conversion will cost. Some bike shops, as well as flea markets, will have piles of trade-ins, used stuff, or new old stock at low prices. I don't punish any of my bikes, rarely going off-rode only far enough to park it. You should, of course, consider your own usage when shopping for components, or you can expect to buy replacements. Forget about that "buy a bike designed for it" ****. Do what YOU want. It's your bike, and you are the one who needs to be comfy with it. I don't see you breaking $100 for this, unless you like really expensive components. I have a $200 Giant for the same reason I have the cheaper Fender guitar....I can't tell the difference between the low or high-priced stuff when using them. Do what works for you.