Flat Hunt Dilemma

Caher

New Member
May 22, 2003
I will shortly be hunting around for a flat, possibly near the town centre. However is it wise to mention to the landlord/letting agency that I have a dark secret…I am a cyclist! And have two bikes.
One I use for commuting so could be kept outside somewhere dry though but the other is quite valuable and used for off-road riding so I’d want to keep that indoors or in the special secure bike sheds that are in all new developments these days. Not!

Any advice on the best approach? Should I say nothing and just surreptitiously look around or be upfront about my habit?

Many thanks
Caher

Caher wrote:
> I will shortly be hunting around for a flat, possibly near the town
> centre. However is it wise to mention to the landlord/letting agency
> that I have a dark secret…I am a cyclist! And have two bikes.
> One I use for commuting so could be kept outside somewhere dry though
> but the other is quite valuable and used for off-road riding so I’d
> want to keep that indoors or in the special secure bike sheds that are
> in all new developments these days. Not!
>
> Any advice on the best approach? Should I say nothing and just
> surreptitiously look around or be upfront about my habit?

1 vote for "say nothing".

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Caher composed the following;:
> I will shortly be hunting around for a flat, possibly near the town
> centre. However is it wise to mention to the landlord/letting agency
> that I have a dark secret…I am a cyclist! And have two bikes.
> One I use for commuting so could be kept outside somewhere dry though
> but the other is quite valuable and used for off-road riding so I’d
> want to keep that indoors or in the special secure bike sheds that are
> in all new developments these days. Not!
>
> Any advice on the best approach? Should I say nothing and just
> surreptitiously look around or be upfront about my habit?

I think it's worth asking.

My first council flat was two storeys up and when I mentioned to the council
chappie that I had a bicycle and a motorcycle he showed me to the blocks row
of lock-up garages, with their own security system etc. No extra cost, lots
of extra space, result ... ;)

OTOH, if it's a private flat then maybe keeping schtum would be a reasonable
course of action.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Thanks it will be a private one.
I remember a few years ago the prospective landlord’s face turning blue when I mentioned I had a bike! And there is a lot of new housing recently built in this area with a conspicuous lack of bike sheds.

Caher wrote:
> I will shortly be hunting around for a flat, possibly near the town
> centre. However is it wise to mention to the landlord/letting agency
> that I have a dark secret…I am a cyclist!

I recently[1] moved, and I mentioned a need for somewhere secure to
keep a bike everywhere I looked. Not a problem. Well, except in those
places where a bike would be inherently problematic due to lack of
a suitable place.

[1] Got the keys to this place[2] March 14th.
[2] No longer out in the sticks: I've moved into town (Tavistock).

--
Nick Kew