Flat or Riser bars for '07 Epic Marathon?

J-V

Nov 3, 2003
Coming from a 14-year old (pre-front suspension geometry) mountain bike, what is the deal with riser bars? The 640mm carbon bar that came on the Marathon seem WAY to wide for me (it's a medium), and I feel like I'm constantly trying to avoid racking the ends on trees while riding. What I'd like to know is what are the advantages of a riser bar, and if I switch it to flat, what will the changes in handling characteristics be?

Thanks in advance!

J\V

warnerjh said:
The 640mm carbon bar that came on the Marathon seem WAY to wide for me (it's a medium), and I feel like I'm constantly trying to avoid racking the ends on trees while riding.
If you prefer a shorter bar, why not just cut the ends off to make it your desired width.

warnerjh said:
What I'd like to know is what are the advantages of a riser bar, and if I switch it to flat, what will the changes in handling characteristics be?
Riser bars provide a higher ride and more relaxed riding position. Riser bars give more stability on steeper downhill terrain, but aren't so good for steep climbs. Flat bars give you a more aggressive riding position over the front wheel.

Thanks for the input. Specialized told my LBS that the S-Works carbon bar should not be cut, which I thought was odd. It's a pretty reputable shop, so I trust what they're telling me.

warnerjh said:
Thanks for the input. Specialized told my LBS that the S-Works carbon bar should not be cut, which I thought was odd. It's a pretty reputable shop, so I trust what they're telling me.
I, too, think it is odd. If anything, making the bar shorter should strengthen it. My guess is they want you to buy a new bar rather than modify the one you have. But what do I know? Maybe Specialized has changed the laws of physics by inventing a strange, new, carbon fiber weave.

I'd go out on a limb and do this:
http://www.eastonbike.com/downloadable_files_unprotected/r&d_files/R&D-05-Carbon.pdf

Scotty_Dog said:
I, too, think it is odd. If anything, making the bar shorter should strengthen it. My guess is they want you to buy a new bar rather than modify the one you have. But what do I know? Maybe Specialized has changed the laws of physics by inventing a strange, new, carbon fiber weave.

I'd go out on a limb and do this:
http://www.eastonbike.com/downloadable_files_unprotected/r&d_files/R&D-05-Carbon.pdf

Thanks for that link. I wonder why you couldn't cut them with a table or band saw? Seems like the cut would be cleaner, though maybe not at the end.

Just a thought, but maybe the bars are reinforced where the brakes and shifters clamp and cutting them will move the levers inboard.

cruisin said:
Just a thought, but maybe the bars are reinforced where the brakes and shifters clamp and cutting them will move the levers inboard.

My LBS replaced the riser bar with the S-Works XC flat carbon bar, and the paperwork in the box do indeed give instructions for cutting. I would assume the riser bar is similar (and can be cut), although there is no way to know for sure without the directions for that specific bar, which I do not think came with the bike.