flat problem

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by David L, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. David L

    David L Guest

    Since I put on Panaracer Fattrax 2.2 replacing the no-name 1.95's I have had two weird flats. They
    are pretty much the same flat, the Schrader valve has been ripped off or cut at the valve stem. I
    figure the rims aren't meant for such a huge tire, and there is too much room for the tube to
    float around
    in. I guess I will have to resort to the old 1.95's. Any advice or input would be appreciated,

    as always,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. David L wrote:

    > Since I put on Panaracer Fattrax 2.2 replacing the no-name 1.95's I have had two weird flats. They
    > are pretty much the same flat, the Schrader valve has been ripped off or cut at the valve stem. I
    > figure the rims aren't meant for such a huge tire, and there is too much room for the tube to
    > float around
    > in. I guess I will have to resort to the old 1.95's. Any advice or input would be appreciated,
    >
    > as always,
    >
    > Dave

    Have you ever seen how big a tube can be blown up to? <G> A 2.2 isn't THAT much bigger than a 1.95.
    I really doubt your tubes are flaoting around in the tire casing.

    I think you should take a close look at the valve hole, and clean up the sharp edge that's cutting
    the valves.

    Barry

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Since I put on Panaracer Fattrax 2.2 replacing the no-name 1.95's I have
    had
    | two weird flats. They are pretty much the same flat, the Schrader valve
    has
    | been ripped off or cut at the valve stem. I figure the rims aren't meant
    for
    | such a huge tire, and there is too much room for the tube to float around
    | in. I guess I will have to resort to the old 1.95's. Any advice or input would be appreciated,
    |
    | as always,
    |
    | Dave

    Not sure if you know this but inner tubes come in different widths too. So maybe try getting a wider
    tube so it doesnt float around as much.

    Also check the rim for sharp and abrasive sections and consider replacing or widening the rim tape.

    Simon.

  4. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    I never fix flat tubes. what's a puncture kit???:D:eek:
    The tube that's in flats...cut the valve off, leave the tube in as an extra barrier for the tyre. Chuck another tube in and krank it.
    It's extra protection and seriously - what puncture kit really werx??:(
    I barely ever get flats - once in 6mths maybe....

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "roKeMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I never fix flat tubes. what's a puncture kit???:D:eek: The tube that's in flats...cut the valve
    > off, leave the tube in as an extra barrier for the tyre. Chuck another tube in and krank it. It's
    > extra protection and seriously - what puncture kit really werx??:( I barely ever get flats - once
    > in 6mths maybe....

    Most all 'vulcanizing' patch kits work great if you know how to use 'em. The trick is letting the
    glue dry _completely_. Like 5 minutes or so. I really like the patches that come with the Park patch
    kit, good size and nice and thick. Great for DH tubes, which at $15 bucks a 'pop' I patch 'em.

    Mike

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Simon wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure if you know this but inner tubes come in different widths too.
    So
    > > maybe try getting a wider tube so it doesnt float around as much.
    >
    > I sincerely hope that was sarcams...
    >
    > (Yay, bring back sarcams!)

    I keep getting spam about naked chicks with sarcams in their rooms......

    Shaun aRe - I also keep getting told I qualify for a $25000 grant......

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "roKeMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I never fix flat tubes. what's a puncture kit???:D:eek: The tube that's in flats...cut the valve
    > > off, leave the tube in as an extra barrier for the tyre. Chuck another tube in and krank it.
    > > It's extra protection and seriously - what puncture kit really werx??:( I barely ever get flats
    > > - once in 6mths maybe....
    > >

    > Most all 'vulcanizing' patch kits work great if you know how to use 'em. The trick is letting the
    > glue dry _completely_. Like 5 minutes or so. I really like the patches that come with the Park
    > patch kit, good size and nice and thick. Great for DH tubes, which at $15 bucks a 'pop' I patch
    'em.

    I get maybe 1 in 25 patches fail to stick, and I only give the glue 1 minute maximum to dry, even in
    the cold - I just slap the glue on, rub it like mad with a clean finger to spread it, stop rubbing
    when it starts to go really tacky, give it a few seconds, and slap the patch on, squeeze and stretch
    it like hell, dust it, put tube back etc. and inflate - no probs.

    Shaun aRe - I hardly ever get punctures on the BASE - score more points for bigfatheuge tyres.

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Shaun aRe - I hardly ever get punctures on the BASE - score more points
    for
    > > bigfatheuge tyres.
    >
    > Never had a puncture with my Bonty Revolts, and they've been on there for well over a year now.

    At 11 to 18 psi?

    > Points for the skinny tyres ;)

    Heh ',;~P```````

    > If Septics put tires on their bikes, do they also tipe messages?

    You dropped an 'r' from 'tripe'.

    Shaun aRe - P.s. <the absolute truth this is> - I had a disturbing dream last night - GT and JD were
    in it (as if that wasn't enough.....), they were very 'cosy', and both insisted on parading around
    naked, which is how I noticed JD had a hole where his dick should be. Thing was, it looked like a
    deep (circular) wound, rather than a vagina. Also, he was very skinny, but when he turned around,
    half (lengthwise) of the back of his body was foam padding, as used in theatre to make a thin person
    look fat. When I woke up, I didn't know wheter to scream, laugh, cry, or take copious amounts of
    extremely strong medication......<the absolute truth this is>

    (I _swear_ that ain't a lie).

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>Never had a puncture with my Bonty Revolts, and they've been on there for well over a year now.
    >

    > At 11 to 18 psi?

    God no. Why on earth would I want to run tyres at that pressure - it'd be like riding in treacle.
    50-60psi for me.

    > Shaun aRe - P.s. <the absolute truth this is> - I had a disturbing dream last night - GT and JD
    > were in it (as if that wasn't enough.....), they were very 'cosy', and both insisted on parading
    > around naked, which is how I noticed JD had a hole where his dick should be. Thing was, it looked
    > like a deep (circular) wound, rather than a vagina. Also, he was very skinny, but when he turned
    > around, half (lengthwise) of the back of his body was foam padding, as used in theatre to make a
    > thin person look fat. When I woke up, I didn't know wheter to scream, laugh, cry, or take copious
    > amounts of extremely strong medication......<the absolute truth this is>
    >
    > (I _swear_ that ain't a lie).

    Well, I know I'm not going to sleep soundly this evening...

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > >>Never had a puncture with my Bonty Revolts, and they've been on there for well over a year now.
    > >

    > > At 11 to 18 psi?
    >
    > God no. Why on earth would I want to run tyres at that pressure

    Steep, wet and muddy, smooth rocky climbs/descents is one of my reasons. Plus, because there is some
    substance to my tyres, they ain't as squirmy as mildly knobby roadie tyres.

    > - it'd be like riding in treacle. 50-60psi for me.

    Aye, but you got a fat arse to support ',;~}

    > > Shaun aRe - P.s. <the absolute truth this is> - I had a disturbing dream last night - GT and JD
    > > were in it (as if that wasn't enough.....), they
    were
    > > very 'cosy', and both insisted on parading around naked, which is how I noticed JD had a hole
    > > where his dick should be. Thing was, it looked
    like a
    > > deep (circular) wound, rather than a vagina. Also, he was very skinny,
    but
    > > when he turned around, half (lengthwise) of the back of his body was
    foam
    > > padding, as used in theatre to make a thin person look fat. When I woke
    up,
    > > I didn't know wheter to scream, laugh, cry, or take copious amounts of extremely strong
    > > medication......<the absolute truth this is>
    > >
    > > (I _swear_ that ain't a lie).
    >
    > Well, I know I'm not going to sleep soundly this evening...

    Not sure I want to sleep ever again........

    Shaun aRe