flat problem

David L

Guest
Since I put on Panaracer Fattrax 2.2 replacing the no-name 1.95's I have had two weird flats. They
are pretty much the same flat, the Schrader valve has been ripped off or cut at the valve stem. I
figure the rims aren't meant for such a huge tire, and there is too much room for the tube to
float around
in. I guess I will have to resort to the old 1.95's. Any advice or input would be appreciated,

as always,

Dave

David L wrote:

> Since I put on Panaracer Fattrax 2.2 replacing the no-name 1.95's I have had two weird flats. They
> are pretty much the same flat, the Schrader valve has been ripped off or cut at the valve stem. I
> figure the rims aren't meant for such a huge tire, and there is too much room for the tube to
> float around
> in. I guess I will have to resort to the old 1.95's. Any advice or input would be appreciated,
>
> as always,
>
> Dave

Have you ever seen how big a tube can be blown up to? <G> A 2.2 isn't THAT much bigger than a 1.95.
I really doubt your tubes are flaoting around in the tire casing.

I think you should take a close look at the valve hole, and clean up the sharp edge that's cutting
the valves.

Barry

"David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| Since I put on Panaracer Fattrax 2.2 replacing the no-name 1.95's I have
had
| two weird flats. They are pretty much the same flat, the Schrader valve
has
| been ripped off or cut at the valve stem. I figure the rims aren't meant
for
| such a huge tire, and there is too much room for the tube to float around
| in. I guess I will have to resort to the old 1.95's. Any advice or input would be appreciated,
|
| as always,
|
| Dave

Not sure if you know this but inner tubes come in different widths too. So maybe try getting a wider
tube so it doesnt float around as much.

Also check the rim for sharp and abrasive sections and consider replacing or widening the rim tape.

Simon.

I never fix flat tubes. what's a puncture kit???:D:eek:
The tube that's in flats...cut the valve off, leave the tube in as an extra barrier for the tyre. Chuck another tube in and krank it.
It's extra protection and seriously - what puncture kit really werx??:(
I barely ever get flats - once in 6mths maybe....

"roKeMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I never fix flat tubes. what's a puncture kit???:D:eek: The tube that's in flats...cut the valve
> off, leave the tube in as an extra barrier for the tyre. Chuck another tube in and krank it. It's
> extra protection and seriously - what puncture kit really werx??:( I barely ever get flats - once
> in 6mths maybe....

Most all 'vulcanizing' patch kits work great if you know how to use 'em. The trick is letting the
glue dry _completely_. Like 5 minutes or so. I really like the patches that come with the Park patch
kit, good size and nice and thick. Great for DH tubes, which at $15 bucks a 'pop' I patch 'em.

Mike

> Simon wrote:
>
> > Not sure if you know this but inner tubes come in different widths too.
So
> > maybe try getting a wider tube so it doesnt float around as much.
>
> I sincerely hope that was sarcams...
>
> (Yay, bring back sarcams!)

I keep getting spam about naked chicks with sarcams in their rooms......

Shaun aRe - I also keep getting told I qualify for a $25000 grant......

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "roKeMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I never fix flat tubes. what's a puncture kit???:D:eek: The tube that's in flats...cut the valve
> > off, leave the tube in as an extra barrier for the tyre. Chuck another tube in and krank it.
> > It's extra protection and seriously - what puncture kit really werx??:( I barely ever get flats
> > - once in 6mths maybe....
> >

> Most all 'vulcanizing' patch kits work great if you know how to use 'em. The trick is letting the
> glue dry _completely_. Like 5 minutes or so. I really like the patches that come with the Park
> patch kit, good size and nice and thick. Great for DH tubes, which at $15 bucks a 'pop' I patch
'em.

I get maybe 1 in 25 patches fail to stick, and I only give the glue 1 minute maximum to dry, even in
the cold - I just slap the glue on, rub it like mad with a clean finger to spread it, stop rubbing
when it starts to go really tacky, give it a few seconds, and slap the patch on, squeeze and stretch
it like hell, dust it, put tube back etc. and inflate - no probs.

Shaun aRe - I hardly ever get punctures on the BASE - score more points for bigfatheuge tyres.

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Shaun aRe - I hardly ever get punctures on the BASE - score more points
for
> > bigfatheuge tyres.
>
> Never had a puncture with my Bonty Revolts, and they've been on there for well over a year now.

At 11 to 18 psi?

> Points for the skinny tyres ;)

Heh ',;~P```````

> If Septics put tires on their bikes, do they also tipe messages?

You dropped an 'r' from 'tripe'.

Shaun aRe - P.s. <the absolute truth this is> - I had a disturbing dream last night - GT and JD were
in it (as if that wasn't enough.....), they were very 'cosy', and both insisted on parading around
naked, which is how I noticed JD had a hole where his **** should be. Thing was, it looked like a
deep (circular) wound, rather than a vagina. Also, he was very skinny, but when he turned around,
half (lengthwise) of the back of his body was foam padding, as used in theatre to make a thin person
look fat. When I woke up, I didn't know wheter to scream, laugh, cry, or take copious amounts of
extremely strong medication......<the absolute truth this is>

(I _swear_ that ain't a lie).

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>Never had a puncture with my Bonty Revolts, and they've been on there for well over a year now.
>

> At 11 to 18 psi?

God no. Why on earth would I want to run tyres at that pressure - it'd be like riding in treacle.
50-60psi for me.

> Shaun aRe - P.s. <the absolute truth this is> - I had a disturbing dream last night - GT and JD
> were in it (as if that wasn't enough.....), they were very 'cosy', and both insisted on parading
> around naked, which is how I noticed JD had a hole where his **** should be. Thing was, it looked
> like a deep (circular) wound, rather than a vagina. Also, he was very skinny, but when he turned
> around, half (lengthwise) of the back of his body was foam padding, as used in theatre to make a
> thin person look fat. When I woke up, I didn't know wheter to scream, laugh, cry, or take copious
> amounts of extremely strong medication......<the absolute truth this is>
>
> (I _swear_ that ain't a lie).

Well, I know I'm not going to sleep soundly this evening...

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>Never had a puncture with my Bonty Revolts, and they've been on there for well over a year now.
> >

> > At 11 to 18 psi?
>
> God no. Why on earth would I want to run tyres at that pressure

Steep, wet and muddy, smooth rocky climbs/descents is one of my reasons. Plus, because there is some
substance to my tyres, they ain't as squirmy as mildly knobby roadie tyres.

Aye, but you got a fat **** to support ',;~}

> > Shaun aRe - P.s. <the absolute truth this is> - I had a disturbing dream last night - GT and JD
> > were in it (as if that wasn't enough.....), they
were
> > very 'cosy', and both insisted on parading around naked, which is how I noticed JD had a hole
> > where his **** should be. Thing was, it looked
like a
> > deep (circular) wound, rather than a vagina. Also, he was very skinny,
but
> > when he turned around, half (lengthwise) of the back of his body was
foam
> > padding, as used in theatre to make a thin person look fat. When I woke
up,
> > I didn't know wheter to scream, laugh, cry, or take copious amounts of extremely strong
> > medication......<the absolute truth this is>
> >
> > (I _swear_ that ain't a lie).
>
> Well, I know I'm not going to sleep soundly this evening...

Not sure I want to sleep ever again........

Shaun aRe