Flat rides, roads and trails in MD

Scott Schelle

Guest
I'm looking for some pretty flat routes in the Baltimore metro area on which to do some
winter training.

I had been riding the North Central Railroad trail, but lately it's been too
icy.

Any suggestions from local riders?

TIA

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:46:52 -0500, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking for some pretty flat routes in the Baltimore metro area on which to do some winter
> training.

> I had been riding the North Central Railroad trail, but lately it's been too icy.

The only other trail in the Balto area that I can think of is BWI/BnA. But further afield would be
CCT (Bethesda->Georgetown,DC. or the WMRT from Ft Washington through Hancokk (then 10 more miles).

Outside of MD - the MtVernon, Custis, W&OD, etc in VA.

mike

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
<-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

I just moved to Ellicott City and there appears to be a number of trails in the Patapsco State
Park. Many run along the river, so they should be less technical. You can get some nice trail maps
from MDDNR.

Ricardo Gonzalez

"Scott SCHELLE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some pretty flat routes in the Baltimore metro area on
which
> to do some winter training.
>
> I had been riding the North Central Railroad trail, but lately it's been
too
> icy.
>
> Any suggestions from local riders?
>
> TIA

A fairly flat road is Old Frederick Road in Howard County (Rte. 99). You can park at the Bagel
Bin in the Enchanted Forest Shopping Center and ride Rte. 40 for about 1/2 mile, turn right onto
Centennial Lane/?? (don't remember the name of the road when you turn right off Rte. 40, but it
is Centennial Lane if you turned left) at the first light and then make a left at the next light
onto Old Frederick. It will take you all the way to Mt. Airy with a couple of rest stops along
the way. You can simply turn around and come back the way you came -- this might be a good idea
since the road runs east/west and you will likely encounter some taxing wind heading west. A nice
road with some traffic near civilization and pretty quiet to the west. Also check out the
Baltimore Bicycle Club -- they have short and long rides throughout the area each day of the
weekend from December ~ March. These are road rides and while some are easier than others none
will be as flat the the NCRT. Jim

Thanks

"Ricardo Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just moved to Ellicott City and there appears to be a number of trails
in
> the Patapsco State Park. Many run along the river, so they should be less technical. You can get
> some nice trail maps from MDDNR.
>
> Ricardo Gonzalez
>
> "Scott SCHELLE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm looking for some pretty flat routes in the Baltimore metro area on
> which
> > to do some winter training.
> >
> > I had been riding the North Central Railroad trail, but lately it's been
> too
> > icy.
> >
> > Any suggestions from local riders?
> >
> > TIA

Thanks

On 15 Jan 2003 12:28:06 -0800, Jim G <[email protected]> wrote:

> A fairly flat road is Old Frederick Road in Howard County (Rte. 99). You can park at the Bagel Bin
> in the Enchanted Forest Shopping Center and ride Rte. 40 for about 1/2 mile, turn right onto
> Centennial Lane/?? (don't remember the name of the road when you turn right off Rte. 40, but it is
> Centennial Lane if you turned left) at the first light and then make a left at the next light onto
> Old Frederick.

That would be Bethany Lane.

It will take you all the way to Mt. Airy with a
> couple of rest stops along the way. You can simply turn around and come back the way you came --
> this might be a good idea since the road runs east/west and you will likely encounter some taxing
> wind heading west.

Or, when you get to MtAiry, go left on Md-27, pass under I-70 to the Shell/Exxon intersection where
a left turn will take you past Mt Airy Bicycles on Md-144, and east making a (rather flattened)
loop. This will take you back to Us-40 about a mile from Enchanted Forest.

You'd be paralleling I-70 on the north outbound, and and on the south when returning. Nice
rolling hills

mike