Flat spoke turning 45 degrees itself??

Emp

Mar 14, 2008
Hi ladies and gentlemans,I would like to ask if anyone in here that had encountered these problems.My used wheelset which is bought months ago had been facing the same problem which is the flat spoke turning 45 degrees away from its original position after few rides which is causing the wheels starting to go out of true.I knew the tools which is used for truing the wheels.But when I ma tuning the nipples,the flat spokes doesnt go back to its original place.Is the problem of the spokes or the nipples??Can any of you please share some information regarding to this.Thx:(

You need a tool that holds the flat of the spoke in place. Use it to rotate the spoke. I'd be guessing that the wheel is a bit under tensioned to allow the spoke to move like that.

Emp said:
Hi ladies and gentlemans,I would like to ask if anyone in here that had encountered these problems.My used wheelset which is bought months ago had been facing the same problem which is the flat spoke turning 45 degrees away from its original position after few rides which is causing the wheels starting to go out of true.I knew the tools which is used for truing the wheels.But when I ma tuning the nipples,the flat spokes doesnt go back to its original place.Is the problem of the spokes or the nipples??Can any of you please share some information regarding to this.Thx:(

Get this

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=642

Holds the spoke while you true the wheel. The tension of the wheel is probably too low, why the spokes are rotating.

Peter@vecchios said:
Get this

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=642

Holds the spoke while you true the wheel. The tension of the wheel is probably too low, why the spokes are rotating.
YIKES! That's definitely a "shop tool" that is over-priced ($69.95!) for the average cyclist ...

The cheesy, plastic "tool" that MAVIC includes with their Ksyrium SL/SL2/etc. wheels should work well for any FLAT spoke & must be really cheap if available-and-bought separately.

OR, a "tool" could probably be made by cutting a slot in a piece of 2x2 wood.

Yeah!I did it.I tried to release the tension of the spoke until the minimum and hold the spokes properly in place and tighten it back.It is now much better.First of all I was afraid that I might destroy the whole balancing of the wheel by releasing the tension of the spokes:eek: .I am learning on tuning these tricky things at the moment:rolleyes: .Before this was all handled by my LBS.Can't rely on it all the time though.

I will go ride again for few weeks.If same problem occur,I will wave my hands again!Thanks alot for the help mates!!:D

alfeng said:
YIKES! That's definitely a "shop tool" that is over-priced ($69.95!) for the average cyclist ...

The cheesy, plastic "tool" that MAVIC includes with their Ksyrium SL/SL2/etc. wheels should work well for any FLAT spoke & must be really cheap if available-and-bought separately.

OR, a "tool" could probably be made by cutting a slot in a piece of 2x2 wood.
Or a good quality adjustable wrench with a thin rag inbetween the jaws if you had painted/anodised spokes.