Flat tire problem

Jimmy Martin

Guest
I have had about 5 flats in a month period due to the presta valve ripping
away from the rubber tube. I have tried screwing on the doughnut nut onto
the presta threads and leaving it off.
When I looked at the wheel liner I noticed that it had slid a distance from
the wheel stem opening, leaving the broken off valve in the wheel hole. Is
there anyway I could make the wheel liner stay in place? I have a 26'' x1.95
size wheel/tube. What do you guys use for your mountain bike liner?

Jimbo

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:04:39 -0500, "Jimmy Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>When I looked at the wheel liner I noticed that it had slid a distance from
>the wheel stem opening, leaving the broken off valve in the wheel hole. Is
>there anyway I could make the wheel liner stay in place? I have a 26'' x1.95
>size wheel/tube. What do you guys use for your mountain bike liner?

Yo Jim,
I think your problem is the rim spinning in the tire. With a Sharpie,
draw a line from your tire to the rim. You'll see them move apart
after a bit of riding. Could your tire pressure be too low?

Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
www.rustyiron.com

Jimmy Martin wrote:
What do you guys use for your mountain bike liner?

What do you mean, "liner"? If you are using a Mr Tuffy or Spin Skins
tire liner, get rid of them.

JD

JD wrote:
> Jimmy Martin wrote:
> What do you guys use for your mountain bike liner?
>

> What do you mean, "liner"? If you are using a Mr Tuffy or Spin Skins
> tire liner, get rid of them.
>
> JD

I think he means rim tape. At least I hope he means rim tape.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Rob Skinner wrote:
> I think your problem is the rim spinning in the tire. With a Sharpie,
> draw a line from your tire to the rim. You'll see them move apart
> after a bit of riding.

It's obvious that the tire is spinning, however there is no need to
mark up your rim. Put the tire label at your valve hole. This will
always give you a quick point of reference for any tire issue like
spinning, punctures and even putting a new tube in when changing a
flat.

JD

> Jimmy Martin wrote:
> What do you guys use for your mountain bike liner?
>

> What do you mean, "liner"? If you are using a Mr Tuffy or Spin Skins
> tire liner, get rid of them.
>
> JD

I mean rim Tape. My wheel came with a piece of continuous piece of rubber
that fits the rim, but is slippery and slides real easy. On it it says"
Kenda 26X16 Made in China". I find the tube valve is sheared off in the
wheel hole and the hole in the rubber liner is about 8" away from the wheel
hole. So this liner movement must be the cause, I think. I use a heavy duty,
extra thick tube now.
Doesn't rim tape stick to the rim like glue and not move around once you put
it in? I also have some Kevlar tire liners "Mr. Tuffy", but I haven't put
them in yet. This will prevent thorns and glass from puncturing the tube.

Jimbo

Jimmy Martin wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Jimmy Martin wrote:
>> What do you guys use for your mountain bike liner?
>>

>> What do you mean, "liner"? If you are using a Mr Tuffy or Spin Skins
>> tire liner, get rid of them.
>>
>> JD
>>

> I mean rim Tape. My wheel came with a piece of continuous piece of
> rubber that fits the rim, but is slippery and slides real easy. On it
> it says" Kenda 26X16 Made in China". I find the tube valve is sheared
> off in the wheel hole and the hole in the rubber liner is about 8"
> away from the wheel hole. So this liner movement must be the cause, I
> think. I use a heavy duty, extra thick tube now.
> Doesn't rim tape stick to the rim like glue and not move around once
> you put it in? I also have some Kevlar tire liners "Mr. Tuffy", but
> I haven't put them in yet. This will prevent thorns and glass from
> puncturing the tube.
>
> Jimbo

Lose the presta nuts. Put talc powder in the tire to allow it to slip
without taking the tube with it. Get sticky rim tape like Velox or even
fibreglass strapping tape.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Lose the presta nuts.

Good advice.

>Put talc powder in the tire to allow it to slip
>without taking the tube with it.

Smarter people than I have suggested that talc actually serves no
purpose. That makes sense, since it's hard to imagine less friction
on the very large percentage of the tube contacting the "rough" inside
of the tire, compared to the very small percentage of the tire that
contacts the rim / rim tape.

> Get sticky rim tape like Velox or even
>fibreglass strapping tape.

More good advice. I use Velox on all my bikes, and it works like a
champ.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Michael Dart wrote:
> Jimmy Martin wrote:
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Jimmy Martin wrote:
> >> What do you guys use for your mountain bike liner?
> >>

> >> What do you mean, "liner"? If you are using a Mr Tuffy or Spin Skins
> >> tire liner, get rid of them.
> >>
> >> JD
> >>

> > I mean rim Tape. My wheel came with a piece of continuous piece of
> > rubber that fits the rim, but is slippery and slides real easy. On it
> > it says" Kenda 26X16 Made in China". I find the tube valve is sheared
> > off in the wheel hole and the hole in the rubber liner is about 8"
> > away from the wheel hole. So this liner movement must be the cause, I
> > think. I use a heavy duty, extra thick tube now.

Use rim tape in lieu of that rubber POS. Save the rubber POS for your
cruiser bike.

> > Doesn't rim tape stick to the rim like glue and not move around once
> > you put it in? I also have some Kevlar tire liners "Mr. Tuffy", but
> > I haven't put them in yet. This will prevent thorns and glass from
> > puncturing the tube.

Those kevlar tire liners will cause more problems than they are worth
if you are running low tire pressure. Thorns may be on a trail, but
glass? Are you riding some kind of urban singletrack?

> Lose the presta nuts.

Why? I have always used them and have never had a problem in 20 years.

> Put talc powder in the tire to allow it to slip
> without taking the tube with it.

I never use talcum powder.

> Get sticky rim tape like Velox or even
> fibreglass strapping tape.

Cloth sports tape works well too.

JD

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Lose the presta nuts.

> Good advice.
>
>> Put talc powder in the tire to allow it to slip
>> without taking the tube with it.

> Smarter people than I have suggested that talc actually serves no
> purpose. That makes sense, since it's hard to imagine less friction
> on the very large percentage of the tube contacting the "rough" inside
> of the tire, compared to the very small percentage of the tire that
> contacts the rim / rim tape.

In my experience the tubes kinda bond themselves to the inside of the tire.
Talc seems to prevent this. Friction is one thing (and you are probably
right) but sticking is another.

Talc, presta nuts and greased tapirs are often argued items. Maybe none
really matter one way or the other. I'm just posting what I found works for
me.

Mike - besides your wheels smell baby fresh!

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Lose the presta nuts.

> Good advice.
>

>>Put talc powder in the tire to allow it to slip
>>without taking the tube with it.

> Smarter people than I have suggested that talc actually serves no
> purpose.

Who? Jobst? I've experimented with no talc the first time I put a tube
and tire combo on. Any time I've had a little spliggage I've added a
little talc. After adding the talc the splippage disappears. I'll keep
talcing.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Lose the presta nuts.

>> Good advice.
>>

>>> Put talc powder in the tire to allow it to slip
>>> without taking the tube with it.

>> Smarter people than I have suggested that talc actually serves no
>> purpose.

> Who? Jobst? I've experimented with no talc the first time I put a tube
> and tire combo on. Any time I've had a little spliggage I've added a
> little talc. After adding the talc the splippage disappears. I'll keep
> talcing.

Wow, where the hell did spliggage come from? Looks like I created not
one, but two new words today.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

> G.T. wrote:
>> Mark Hickey wrote:

>>> Good advice.

>>> Smarter people than I have suggested that talc actually serves no
>>> purpose.

>> Who? Jobst? I've experimented with no talc the first time I put a tube
>> and tire combo on. Any time I've had a little spliggage I've added a
>> little talc. After adding the talc the splippage disappears. I'll keep
>> talcing.
>>

> Wow, where the hell did spliggage come from? Looks like I created not
> one, but two new words today.
>
> Greg

creativity run amuck!

I read it as slippage, go figure.

Gary

Don't have this problem. The flats I get theres something that sticking
in the tire and tube and I remove it and change tube. But have used
tape when without a rim liner with no problem. I mean like layers of
electic tape or fiction tape.

"Jimmy Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have had about 5 flats in a month period due to the presta valve ripping
>away from the rubber tube. I have tried screwing on the doughnut nut onto
>the presta threads and leaving it off.
> When I looked at the wheel liner I noticed that it had slid a distance
> from the wheel stem opening, leaving the broken off valve in the wheel
> hole. Is there anyway I could make the wheel liner stay in place? I have
> a 26'' x1.95 size wheel/tube. What do you guys use for your mountain bike
> liner?
>
> Jimbo

When I went in to a bike shop today the owner told me he didn't sell the
extra thick presta valve mountain bike tubes because they alway went flat.
How did they go flat? He said that the valve would tear away from the tube.
So I'm going to use the schrader valve tube and just drill out the rim hole
to make them fit. I bought some Velox rim tape which went on nice. All I
need now is the right drill bit or tappered drill cone and I'm all set. This
should do the trick. No more Presta valves.

Jimbo

Jimmy Martin wrote:
> "Jimmy Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I have had about 5 flats in a month period due to the presta valve
>> ripping away from the rubber tube. I have tried screwing on the
>> doughnut nut onto the presta threads and leaving it off.
>> When I looked at the wheel liner I noticed that it had slid a
>> distance from the wheel stem opening, leaving the broken off valve
>> in the wheel hole. Is there anyway I could make the wheel liner
>> stay in place? I have a 26'' x1.95 size wheel/tube. What do you guys
>> use for your mountain bike liner?
>>
>> Jimbo
>>

> When I went in to a bike shop today the owner told me he didn't sell
> the extra thick presta valve mountain bike tubes because they alway
> went flat. How did they go flat? He said that the valve would tear
> away from the tube. So I'm going to use the schrader valve tube and
> just drill out the rim hole to make them fit. I bought some Velox rim
> tape which went on nice. All I need now is the right drill bit or
> tappered drill cone and I'm all set. This should do the trick. No
> more Presta valves.
>
> Jimbo

21/64" drill bit.

> Mark Hickey wrote:
>> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Lose the presta nuts.

>> Good advice.
>>

>>>Put talc powder in the tire to allow it to slip
>>>without taking the tube with it.

>> Smarter people than I have suggested that talc actually serves no
>> purpose.

> Who? Jobst? I've experimented with no talc the first time I put a tube
> and tire combo on. Any time I've had a little spliggage I've added a
> little talc. After adding the talc the splippage disappears. I'll keep
> talcing.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "All my time I spent in heaven
> Revelries of dance and wine
> Waking to the sound of laughter
> Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

And the bonus is your wheels smell baby fresh...

but I've never talc up my wheels, and have had zero problems w/ stickage....

(Dave (I'd say "MYTH BUSTED")

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jimmy Martin wrote:
>> "Jimmy Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I have had about 5 flats in a month period due to the presta valve
>>> ripping away from the rubber tube. I have tried screwing on the
>>> doughnut nut onto the presta threads and leaving it off.
>>> When I looked at the wheel liner I noticed that it had slid a
>>> distance from the wheel stem opening, leaving the broken off valve
>>> in the wheel hole. Is there anyway I could make the wheel liner
>>> stay in place? I have a 26'' x1.95 size wheel/tube. What do you guys
>>> use for your mountain bike liner?
>>>
>>> Jimbo
>>>

>> When I went in to a bike shop today the owner told me he didn't sell
>> the extra thick presta valve mountain bike tubes because they alway
>> went flat. How did they go flat? He said that the valve would tear
>> away from the tube. So I'm going to use the schrader valve tube and
>> just drill out the rim hole to make them fit. I bought some Velox rim
>> tape which went on nice. All I need now is the right drill bit or
>> tappered drill cone and I'm all set. This should do the trick. No
>> more Presta valves.
>>
>> Jimbo

> 21/64" drill bit.

works like a charm....

Dave W wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Mark Hickey wrote:

>>>Good advice.

>>>Smarter people than I have suggested that talc actually serves no
>>>purpose.

>>Who? Jobst? I've experimented with no talc the first time I put a tube
>>and tire combo on. Any time I've had a little spliggage I've added a
>>little talc. After adding the talc the splippage disappears. I'll keep
>>talcing.
>>
>>Greg
>>

> And the bonus is your wheels smell baby fresh...
>
> but I've never talc up my wheels, and have had zero problems w/ stickage....
>
> (Dave (I'd say "MYTH BUSTED")

How can a myth be busted if you don't even ride?

Greg