flat tire

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rick Fetters, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Rick Fetters

    Rick Fetters Guest

    I had a flat about 8 miles from home yesterday and had to ride the bike home. The tire is an almost
    new slick that I use on my mountains bike hybrid. The ride home was slow (10mph) and as gentle as I
    could manage. The tire has some 'markings' on the sidewall from the stress of the ride but seems OK
    otherwise. Question: Have I done significant damage to the tire and does it need to be replaced?
    thanks, rick

    Tags:

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    rick fetters wrote:

    > I had a flat about 8 miles from home yesterday and had to ride the bike home. The tire is an
    > almost new slick that I use on my mountains bike hybrid. The ride home was slow (10mph) and as
    > gentle as I could manage. The tire has some 'markings' on the sidewall from the stress of the ride
    > but seems OK otherwise. Question: Have I done significant damage to the tire and does it need to
    > be replaced?

    I can't say if you've damaged your tire, but I have ridden a similar distance on a flat and
    continued to use the tire afterwards with no apparent harm.

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 1 Feb 2004 18:43:33 -0800, [email protected] (rick fetters)
    may have said:

    >I had a flat about 8 miles from home yesterday and had to ride the bike home. The tire is an almost
    >new slick that I use on my mountains bike hybrid. The ride home was slow (10mph) and as gentle as I
    >could manage. The tire has some 'markings' on the sidewall from the stress of the ride but seems OK
    >otherwise. Question: Have I done significant damage to the tire and does it need to be replaced?
    >thanks, rick

    The tube can't help but have been trashed, but there's a really good chance that the tire is usable.
    Put a new tube in it, carefully air it to max rated inflation and inspect closely the next morning.
    If there aren't any bulges or wierd wobblies, I think you're probably good to go.

    (Maybe it's time to carry a spare tube on your rides?)

    it's also possible that I'm busy.