flat tire

Rick Fetters

Guest
I had a flat about 8 miles from home yesterday and had to ride the bike home. The tire is an almost
new slick that I use on my mountains bike hybrid. The ride home was slow (10mph) and as gentle as I
could manage. The tire has some 'markings' on the sidewall from the stress of the ride but seems OK
otherwise. Question: Have I done significant damage to the tire and does it need to be replaced?
thanks, rick

rick fetters wrote:

> I had a flat about 8 miles from home yesterday and had to ride the bike home. The tire is an
> almost new slick that I use on my mountains bike hybrid. The ride home was slow (10mph) and as
> gentle as I could manage. The tire has some 'markings' on the sidewall from the stress of the ride
> but seems OK otherwise. Question: Have I done significant damage to the tire and does it need to
> be replaced?

I can't say if you've damaged your tire, but I have ridden a similar distance on a flat and
continued to use the tire afterwards with no apparent harm.

On 1 Feb 2004 18:43:33 -0800, [email protected] (rick fetters)
may have said:

>I had a flat about 8 miles from home yesterday and had to ride the bike home. The tire is an almost
>new slick that I use on my mountains bike hybrid. The ride home was slow (10mph) and as gentle as I
>could manage. The tire has some 'markings' on the sidewall from the stress of the ride but seems OK
>otherwise. Question: Have I done significant damage to the tire and does it need to be replaced?
>thanks, rick

The tube can't help but have been trashed, but there's a really good chance that the tire is usable.
Put a new tube in it, carefully air it to max rated inflation and inspect closely the next morning.
If there aren't any bulges or wierd wobblies, I think you're probably good to go.

(Maybe it's time to carry a spare tube on your rides?)

it's also possible that I'm busy.