flat tires and rubber

foild1

Aug 30, 2005
Im in the market for some new tires; where i live it is quite rainy, and i need some good tires for that condition.. can someone recomend me some? i am still using some hutchinson tires that came on my cannondale r600

Also, i hear about people getting flats alot; i have never experienced it before, do the tires deflate slowly, or do they just go BANG and leave yah rollin at 40km without a front tire lol

If that is the case, what is the best way to handle that situation?

what are you using now? something like 23c or so? do you use your bike for recreation and commuting, or racing. if it's a daily rider, 23's just don't have much between the tubes and the road. if you're concerned about getting flats, going with a wider tire usually means more rubber on the top too. they'll also provide more contact with the road on rainy days. most tire manufacturers have more flat resistant models to choose from, for example specialized armadillos or flakjackets. keeping your tire pressure up to snuff will help prevent pinch flats, but here again, a wider tire helps.

i think most flats are relatively slow, but it all depends on the cause. i've never had one go "bang", but i guess it could happen. in my own experience, tens of seconds to several minutes has been average. a leaky valve can take days or even weeks.

foild1 said:
Im in the market for some new tires; where i live it is quite rainy, and i need some good tires for that condition.. can someone recomend me some? i am still using some hutchinson tires that came on my cannondale r600

Also, i hear about people getting flats alot; i have never experienced it before, do the tires deflate slowly, or do they just go BANG and leave yah rollin at 40km without a front tire lol

If that is the case, what is the best way to handle that situation?
look at the Continental GP 3000 4-Season. They have gaterskin wich reduces the chance of flats and still have a good ride quality. I use them all fall into the winter. Never have a problem with excessive flats.