Flat Tires in the Kitchen

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 03:43:34p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>>"Can you make ginger snaps without ginger?"

>>hee hee...I like that!

> Thanks! ;)
>
> Carol

Well, can you?

Wayne

"Bob Myers" <[email protected]>, if that's his real name, wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>Well, sure, but then they're just snaps....:)

I think I may have to slap you. <G>

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> How could I have forgotten the time when I was in charge of making the
> Thanksgiving gravy, and used powdered sugar instead of flour? I was at my
> dad's, and the Tupperware containers weren't marked, and looked just the
> same.
>
> Carol

too funny.

I think that I get "cooking block" every once in a great while. Whatever
I make just doesn't seem to come out right and I say... "BREAK TIME"...
When she hears that, she know's it her turn to cook for a few weeks and
I just need away from it for a bit. Hasn't happened for a few years but
I'm sure that it will.

--
Steve

On 21 Feb 2005 22:52:34 -0800, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you ever been madly cooking, on top of your game - and then BAM! -
>a "flat tire" - no pepper in the grinder, just ran out of the right
>kind of vinegar, need tomato puree and all you have is diced, etc.?

I'm good at this... alas! A few weeks ago I decided to make meatloaf
for dinner. I thawed the ground beef, chopped the onion and put it in
a bowl with the seasonings... then I reached into the cupboard for the
breadcrumbs. Ooops! We didn't have any fresh or frozen bread to spare
either. I ended up mixing in a cup of raw rice and turning it into
hedgehogs, only they fell apart while I was cooking them. The actual
meal was chunky bolagnaise sauce with rice in it, served over baked
potatoes. It wasn't half bad!

~Karen aka Kajikit
Lover of fine chocolate, fun crafts, and furry felines
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to reply

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> I'm good at this... alas! A few weeks ago I decided to make meatloaf
> for dinner. I thawed the ground beef, chopped the onion and put it in
> a bowl with the seasonings... then I reached into the cupboard for the
> breadcrumbs. Ooops! We didn't have any fresh or frozen bread to spare
> either. I ended up mixing in a cup of raw rice and turning it into
> hedgehogs, only they fell apart while I was cooking them. The actual
> meal was chunky bolagnaise sauce with rice in it, served over baked
> potatoes. It wasn't half bad!

I have used oatmeal in meat loaf and it was pretty good.

In article <[email protected]>,
"-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Have you ever been madly cooking, on top of your game - and then BAM! -
> a "flat tire" - no pepper in the grinder, just ran out of the right
> kind of vinegar, need tomato puree and all you have is diced, etc.?
>
> What's your most frustrating "flat tire"? No pepper in the grinder or
> forgetting to buy a spice I need is mine, I think. Either that or
> dumping in too much of something (herb/spice) by accident.
>
> -L.

Last Saturday I was making fresh (i.e., unfried) spring rolls for a
Vietnamese dinner. About halfway through, I remembered that I'd
forgotten to put the shrimp inside them. No problem--half were
vegetarian, the others contained shrimp.

One thing you learn over the years is that you NEVER let on to your
guests or SO when you've done such a thing--provided the food is still
edible. I've made the mistake of adding too much Thai curry paste to
dishes and wound up with smoke coming out my ears.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

On 21 Feb 2005 22:52:34 -0800, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you ever been madly cooking, on top of your game - and then BAM! -
>a "flat tire" - no pepper in the grinder, just ran out of the right
>kind of vinegar, need tomato puree and all you have is diced, etc.?
>
>What's your most frustrating "flat tire"? No pepper in the grinder or
>forgetting to buy a spice I need is mine, I think. Either that or
>dumping in too much of something (herb/spice) by accident.
>
>-L.

One of mine is forgetting to set or start the timer. Now I have to
watch the cooking item constantly until it's done.

Another is putting something in the oven and then looking over and
seeing an unused ingredient sitting on the counter. DOH!

Finally, not only being out of the ingredient, but also being out of
any possible substitute. Grrrrrr.

Rusty

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> How could I have forgotten the time when I was in charge of making the
> Thanksgiving gravy, and used powdered sugar instead of flour? I was at my
> dad's, and the Tupperware containers weren't marked, and looked just the
> same.
>
> Carol

=========

Oh my gosh!! I almost blew coffee all over the screen!! That had to have
been some pretty sweet gravy!!!!!!!

SNORT!! Thank you. I needed that.

Cyndi

"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> How could I have forgotten the time when I was in charge of making the
>> Thanksgiving gravy, and used powdered sugar instead of flour? I was at my
>> dad's, and the Tupperware containers weren't marked, and looked just the
>> same.
>>
>> Carol

>=========
>
>Oh my gosh!! I almost blew coffee all over the screen!! That had to have
>been some pretty sweet gravy!!!!!!!
>
>SNORT!! Thank you. I needed that.

I aim to please. :)

The gravy was hideous, but Dad served it anyway.

Carol

"-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you ever been madly cooking, on top of your game - and then BAM! -
> a "flat tire" - no pepper in the grinder, just ran out of the right
> kind of vinegar, need tomato puree and all you have is diced, etc.?
>
> What's your most frustrating "flat tire"? No pepper in the grinder or
> forgetting to buy a spice I need is mine, I think. Either that or
> dumping in too much of something (herb/spice) by accident.
>
> -L.

Although I can't think of the exact specifics ATM, I do know I've attempted
new recipes that were rated "Quick! Call Pizza Hut Before They Close!" and
for some reason, the meal I prepared was flushed down the toilet. I don't
know why.

After about the 3rd or 4th time, the wife laid down the law. I get to
experiment on Saturdays and then only well before the sun goes down so that
if it turns out to be ****, we can get something take-out. Now mind you, I
live in a little town of 7k people. So our take-out options consists of
Pizza Hell or a Mom and Pop's Chinese place. One is **** and the other is
expensive.

On the plus side, I haven't made anything that made the "Quick! Call Pizza
Hut Before They Close!" rating for over six months now. I'm sure I just
screwed that record up!

Bret
(looking up the number for Pizza Hut for this weekend.)

"scrooge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I bought a new pepper grinder about a year ago. Its primary appeal was
> its "easy fill" character: the clear plastic top simply unscrews from
> the grinder bottom, so there's a good size hole to dump new peppercorns
> into.
>
> Except that the second or third time I tried to fill it the damn' top
> wouldn't unscrew! I've tried the rubber holder-onners, even tried
> vise-grips (but they're too small to tighten down).
>
> I've also tried soaking the (plastic) screw ring in hot water... no
> help.
>
> At this point I'm reduced to using pre-ground pepper, which EVERYONE
> knows is not a good alternative.
>
> Short of breaking the top off, I'm out of ideas as well as out of
> pepper.
>
> Scrooge
>
> (PS: Obviously any ideas will be welcomed. I do love freshly ground
> pepper.)

I've been know to use a meat mallet to create some fresh ground(read pound)
pepper...

Bret

On 22 Feb 2005 08:05:07 +0100, Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

>I usually have everything on hand, but age is creeping up on me and I
>sometimes forget to add an ingredient. On several occasions I have left out
>the vanilla extract in a cake batter. On a recent foray into baking
>cranberry bran muffins I forgot both the oil and the egg. Actually, they
>turned out almost the same and were surprisingly good...AND lowfat! :)

Interestingly, I had a sort of "reverse flat tire" in that I
multiplied an ingredient wrong and wound up with a wonderful, tangy
barbecue sauce!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Beef And Pork Barbecue Sauce

barbecue

3/4 cup chili sauce
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup onion; grated
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika

Combine all ingredients. Store refrigerated.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:45:21 -0500, Steve Calvin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I think that I get "cooking block" every once in a great while. Whatever
>I make just doesn't seem to come out right and I say... "BREAK TIME"...
>When she hears that, she know's it her turn to cook for a few weeks and
>I just need away from it for a bit. Hasn't happened for a few years but
>I'm sure that it will.

Boy, can I relate. Every once in a while, there's a recipe that is
just *doomed*. It's as if I cannot muster the concentration necessary
to make it properly. Same thing at work: there are certain (legal)
documents that are absolutely *cursed*. Every nit picky thing in the
world is wrong with it on multiple printings/proof readings. I chalk
it up to biorhythms: some days you just can't get out of your own way.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

<[email protected]> wrote:

> I usually have everything on hand, but age is creeping up on me and I
> sometimes forget to add an ingredient. On several occasions I have left out
> the vanilla extract in a cake batter. On a recent foray into baking
> cranberry bran muffins I forgot both the oil and the egg. Actually, they
> turned out almost the same and were surprisingly good...AND lowfat! :)

I made pizza last weekend and my family wanted more (I had
enough dough), but I wasn't in the mood. I thought I made a
really good one - but I forgot to sprinkle on any cheese (it
needed some).

Oh, well... beggars can't be choosers and they took it in
good humor.

sf

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:57:12 -0500, "sandy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Have you ever been madly cooking, on top of your game - and then BAM! -
> > a "flat tire" - no pepper in the grinder, just ran out of the right
> > kind of vinegar, need tomato puree and all you have is diced, etc.?
> >
> > What's your most frustrating "flat tire"? No pepper in the grinder or
> > forgetting to buy a spice I need is mine, I think. Either that or
> > dumping in too much of something (herb/spice) by accident.
> >
> > -L.
> >

> Tired & a long day,,,,,I forgot to put the rice in the cabbage rolls!

Hmmm. I think that would be a thumbs up for me!

sf

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:48:48 GMT, Dog3
<uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

> I made a pumpkin cake (the one thing I can bake) and forgot to add in the 2
> cups of sugar. I was embarrassed as hell. I made it especially for a
> friend, she really loves it. Well, she says she does ;)
>
> Michael <- getting old like Wayne claims to be

Yeah, but is she still a friend????

sf

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:23:11 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I was making ginger snaps and found out when the dough was almost all mixed
> that I didn't have any ginger. Called my mom and asked this highly
> intelligent question. "Can you make ginger snaps without ginger?" A day
> that will live in infamy.

So, what did you do?

sf

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:04:40 -0500, "Jessica V."
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Being out of something I always have like garlic, onions
> me batty.

Ditto!

sf

sf <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:23:11 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I was making ginger snaps and found out when the dough was almost all mixed
>> that I didn't have any ginger. Called my mom and asked this highly
>> intelligent question. "Can you make ginger snaps without ginger?" A day
>> that will live in infamy.

>So, what did you do?

I just remember the highlights, not the details. This had to have been at
least 35 years ago. Sorry.

Carol