Flat tires >.<

Blademun

May 27, 2005
I can't take it anymore, since I switched to a pair of 23mm tires I have had constant flats. Like a flat at least once to twice a week. Front more often then rear, which is kinda weird. However, I've inspected and reinspected the tire and rim tape for a possible lodged item causing repeated flats but have not yet found anything. Pressure might be a issue..but then, just today I pumped the tire to 120psi and within a hour of that I got a flat while riding.

Oh yeah, I know why the rear doesn't go flat, I had put a tire liner in it, meant for a 26x1.5 tire. I put a tire liner meant for a 23mm tire in the front and that didn't help at all. (I noticed that the liner for the 26inch tire was far more beefy then the one for a 23mm tire, both in thickness and width)

I recently switched back to large, cross-style tires, 37mm, wire bead beasts that weighs about 2lbs per tire. Those tires never get flats, but they weigh a ton..

Anyway, I need some recomendations for when I go tire shopping. I will happily accept any size or type tire, so long as it weighs under 400 grams.

To help, i'll provide some details about what i am up against: I live in a suburban area with poor roads and even worse sidewalks. Broken beer bottles are common, and the major highways are lined with debris left over from wrecks. This includes safety glass thats been ground into a fine pulp, twisted chunks of metal and other odd bits and ends. Also, we have a special nuisance known as Sand Spurs, which are a kind of seed that have long, barbed needles protruding in all directions. They are thick, and sharp, and can easily pierce my poor 23mm tire's sidewalls. I run a touring setup, with pannier rack and bags, and this bike does have to occasionaly carry some heavy loads.

Hmm by the sounds of it you live in a very nasty area I ride on country raods alot with 23c tyres and never get a flat (should I say that?). I'm guessing the the problem your having is the tyre being punctured from the sidewall but looking at pictures of tyres I havent seen any that have puncture resistance on the sidewall. Maybe the best way to solve this might be to do what you've done already and add a liner for a larger tyre size you'll still get a weight penalty though.

Just my thoughts,
Ben Jones

Edit: I do recall specialized armadillo tyres to have excellent puncture resistance they might be on the heavy side though. 500g IRC.

Blademun said:
I can't take it anymore, since I switched to a pair of 23mm tires I have had constant flats. Like a flat at least once to twice a week. Front more often then rear, which is kinda weird. However, I've inspected and reinspected the tire and rim tape for a possible lodged item causing repeated flats but have not yet found anything. Pressure might be a issue..but then, just today I pumped the tire to 120psi and within a hour of that I got a flat while riding.

Oh yeah, I know why the rear doesn't go flat, I had put a tire liner in it, meant for a 26x1.5 tire. I put a tire liner meant for a 23mm tire in the front and that didn't help at all. (I noticed that the liner for the 26inch tire was far more beefy then the one for a 23mm tire, both in thickness and width)

I recently switched back to large, cross-style tires, 37mm, wire bead beasts that weighs about 2lbs per tire. Those tires never get flats, but they weigh a ton..

Anyway, I need some recomendations for when I go tire shopping. I will happily accept any size or type tire, so long as it weighs under 400 grams.

To help, i'll provide some details about what i am up against: I live in a suburban area with poor roads and even worse sidewalks. Broken beer bottles are common, and the major highways are lined with debris left over from wrecks. This includes safety glass thats been ground into a fine pulp, twisted chunks of metal and other odd bits and ends. Also, we have a special nuisance known as Sand Spurs, which are a kind of seed that have long, barbed needles protruding in all directions. They are thick, and sharp, and can easily pierce my poor 23mm tire's sidewalls. I run a touring setup, with pannier rack and bags, and this bike does have to occasionaly carry some heavy loads.

Sounds like some pretty tough conditions.

We use Conti Gatorskin 28c x 700 on our Santana tandem and fing them more resistant than modt to punctures. They aren't as light as the 23c tires but they are a good comprimise.

Cheers

Geoff

I ride in NYC which is sometimes like offroading. The streets here are paved with broken bottles, broken cds, mirror shards, and metal ribbons. I have specialized armadillo tires (700x28) inflated to 120psi and they seem to be pretty resistant. If you had them, a tire liner, and slime tubes, I think you would be good to go.

Are the punctures in the same place of different? Are you getting pinch flats? I also think the previous posters advice is sound (tourgher tires/liners/slime).

Good luck.

Blademun said:

I'm using Bontrager RaceLite hardcase (700 x 28) and they're wonderful. I'm just riding for fun & fitness, and the MUP I often ride on has several sections with major bumps / potholes, as well as a short section (50 ft) that's gravel, where the path is being worked on. Haven't had any issues at all.

I have had good luck with both the Armadillo and Gatorskin kevlar tires. My commuter route has lots of glass, and I was getting a flat a week, once had two in one day. Now I sometimes find glass deep in the rubber tread that I just dig out and discard. No question this would have punctured my old tires. I believe both come in 700x23, 25, and 28, so you don't need to go larger to get this protection. As noted, they are a good bit heavier if that matters to you. To me, that tradeoff was more than worth it.

chero

Thanks for the help guys, it looks like Armadillo and Gatorskin tires are the top recomendations. Too bad, my lbs does not carry either of these brands. If he did, I could trade in my old tires for a discount.. I did find them online for a OK price, so I won't worry about it.

*update* I checked the tube today and got quite a suprise, nothing had pierced the tube/liner. Instead, the tube had blown out through the rim tape via one of those drilled holes in the rim. That's crazy, since I just pumped them up to 120psi..Actually..this isn't the first time, either..I remember a couple other flats with the same hole in the same posistion. I think I may have fixed my problem with some duct tape.. :D We'll see tommorow, when the lbs opens tommorow and I can get a new tube(s).

I used to get flats 1x per week until I switched from Plastic to Cloth Rim Tape. Just a thought.

REgarding tires, not all 23mm tires are created equal with respect to flat protection. I use Michelin Krylion Carbon tires to train and they are fast and provide good flat protection. But the roads I ride on have occasional glass, not constant!

You might want to try a 28mm Continental Gatorskin or Specialized Armadillo.

li0scc0 said:
I used to get flats 1x per week until I switched from Plastic to Cloth Rim Tape. Just a thought.

I was going to ask if the stock plastic tape that came in my brand new bikes wheels was the cause of two pinch flats in only 8 miles!! Talk about ****** off. A 30 miler ruined Tuesday and tonight a short make up 20 miler ruined. The LBS is going to put the cloth strip in and i hope comp two tubes!!

Worst part is, I was rolling along both nights in much higher gears, same cadence than previous rides and feelng good when psss, pss, pss..... The a comedy of erros insued that made it impossible to continue each ride.

Well-theres always tomorrow night!! Poor neglected family.

Ray

FWIW-the LBS replaced the plastic strips in my tires with cloth and after 40 miles of hills and rough-ish pavement and one decent hit on a change in pavement height, no pinch flats. No other changes-even to tire pressure.

It was nice to ride past the same two spots where the last two tubes went flat and go "well, still rolling".

Ray

I fixed my flat issue for the time being by using dual tire liners. I used the 1.5 inch liner flush against the casing, then layed the 700c liner along the middle of that one. Placed the tubes in carefully to avoid pinch flat and voila, no more flats since. If and when a tire does go flat, while I'm getting an new tube I'll also put on some cloth rim tape.

Your LBS may not carry the tyres you need/want, but the internet does.

I bought 2 x complete bikes, one set of new tyres, one set of new tubes, helmet, jersey, bib nicks, road shoes, 2 sets of pedals and cleats, bidons with cages, 2 cyclopooters, 2 sets of bar tape, seat post, tyre levers and 2 sets of gloves... and have yet to walk into my LBS.

Thanks to the learned people here in this forum and purchases online, I'm getting by just fine but will only use my LBS for servicing my bike...

Ebay and online stores are your friend...:D