Flaxseed oil and Natures Path cereals

danny shep

Jun 20, 2007
Having recently bought some Flaxseed oil capsules i am wondering if anyone can advise me whether they have any idea of the benefits of Flaxseed and the oils with them. I first read about Flaxseeds in a magazine where an endurance runner swore by a cereal called something like "Optimum Power" which is made by Natures path and contains Flaxseeds among other nutritional goodies. He said that they help in the recovery process after exercise, which is something im always looking for tips on, so i bought some capsules today from the Holland & Barrett health food shop who had reduced the price of a jar of 100 capsules from about £12 to £5 so i thought i would take a punt on them.
Any thoughts on the seeds or the cereal?

Optimum Power cereal is a real winner.

Have some here right in fornt of me as i type, tastes great, fill you up and loaded with 100% goodness.

I now do a resonable amount of endurance sports and this is always on my list of things i eat.

Get some.

Flaxseed oil is rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential fatty acid as well as a group of chemicals called lignans. ALA, as well as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), belongs to a group of substances called omega-3 fatty acids. EPA and DHA are found primarily in fish while ALA is mostly found in flaxseed oil and other vegetable oils. Although similar in structure, the benefits of ALA, EPA, and DHA are not necessarily the same. It is important to maintain an appropriate balance of omega-3 and omega-6 (another essential fatty acid) in the diet as these two substances work together to promote health. These essential fats are both examples of polyunsaturated fatty acids, or PUFAs. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation and most omega-6 fatty acids tend to promote inflammation. So yes Flaxseed helps with inflamation which in turn helps recovery.