Fleche Wallonne

Eldrack

Jan 10, 2005
So, Amstel gold is over, next is the Fleche Wallonne. Only 10 climbs, but they're each around twice as long, and you have 7 in the last 40 miles. And of course you're ascending this one: http://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Mur_de_Huy_Huy_2_profile.gif 3 times during the race.

Have to say I think Cunego is looking good for the win here. Maybe with the longer climbs Gesink/Dekker have a better chance though?

Eldrack said:
So, Amstel gold is over, next is the Fleche Wallonne. Only 10 climbs, but they're each around twice as long, and you have 7 in the last 40 miles. And of course you're ascending this one: http://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Mur_de_Huy_Huy_2_profile.gif 3 times during the race.

Have to say I think Cunego is looking good for the win here. Maybe with the longer climbs Gesink/Dekker have a better chance though?
After Amstel, Cunego will be heavily marked. Also, it's too little time to fully focus again (I think). L-B-L looks better for him than F-W, now.
Rabo boys could do well... But somehow, I think Valverde and Schleck will be in front of them.
I would like to see F. Schleck winning this one.

Crankyfeet said:
I know I said I'd wait for Bro... but I can't hold back... Gesink.
I am going with Rebellin next week. He was maybe 2% short this week, but I think he will either win Fleche or L-B-L. I think Andrija is right about Cunego; next week is a recovery week for L-B-L.

BTW Andrija, I was a real **** to you a few months ago. Sometimes I am just a **** for no reason, please forgive me for the outburst.

Yup, agree that Cunego will not be the man for LBL. He stated that was the race he was focussing on, and was surprised to have won the Amstel. :rolleyes:

So I will have to go with the common wisdom and go for Rebellin. Oldie but goodie. :)

thoughtforfood said:
BTW Andrija, I was a real **** to you a few months ago. Sometimes I am just a **** for no reason, please forgive me for the outburst.
It's O.K....I've, already, forgotten about that.

Eldrack said:

My guess is that it will take a rider who's going strongly to win this race - Muur de Huy is climbed three times - as you point out.

On that basis - and given his teams strength, I'm going to punt for Valverde
(I haven't seen the start list).
Rebelline is a good guess also.

I saw Rebellin heading out on a training ride when I made a very brief visit to Monaco. Holy **** he sits a long way behind the bracket.

classic1 said:
I saw Rebellin heading out on a training ride when I made a very brief visit to Monaco. Holy **** he sits a long way behind the bracket.
I'm no expert on bike fit. Does this look like what you saw... or have I got the wrong guy? It appears as if he has his saddle a fair way back on the post, even in this picture from the 2006 GIRO I think. And IMO, Specialized bikes typically have a slightly more relaxed seat tube angle than most aggressive race bikes (especially the Roubaix of course). This one appears normal to me... no expert though.

FaM_30.jpg

Dunno much about specialized bikes. They are so fugly they are an abomination and hurt my eyeballs. I refuse to read articles about them.

That is Rebellin. I'd be interested in what his setback is. He bangs that seat back on the clamp and sits waaaay back.

Joaquím Rodríguez.

He has never done a good result at the Muur, but this should be the classic that's best suited for him. Piti should let him loose tomorrow in return of his work in the weekends. Great form as shown at the Amstel Gold Race.

Does anyone know where I can find live audio of Fleche and all other races?
I have to combine Internet live audio with picture from Eurosport, commentators here are just awful.

The conditions are less than ideal for racing with lots of rain. There have been a few crashes due to rain.

What race...(again)....... arm wrestle between Evans and KK......... Evans came back again in the last 100meters... I thought he was going to take it.......

Great nail biting finish! Kim Kirchen (High Road), Cadel Evans and Cunego podium followed by Gesink and Dekker. It looked like Evans might get it for a while...