Fleet Moss - just how steep is it ?

MSeries

Guest
Which is the easier side ? How steep is the Hawes side at its steepest ?

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Which is the easier side ? How steep is the Hawes side at its steepest ?

Hawes side is definitely steeper. It's marked as 1:4, which looks
reasonable. That's only the very top bit though - the rest is all more
sensible.

(1:4, straight, good surface, not narrow, no sheep - wheee!)

cheers,
clive

Fleet Moss is listed here - select England (you'll know the flag by now !
;-)
and 'F' for ... Fleet.

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?sid=401d1c7fa56f442890dabdd929c8071d&lingua=eng&da=az

Could be wildly inaccurate of course - I'm a Cumbrian and the site's
Italian!

Cheeers... Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

MSeries wrote:
> Allan Nelson wrote:
>> Fleet Moss is listed here - select England (you'll know the flag by
>> now ! ;-)
>> and 'F' for ... Fleet.

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?sid=401d1c7fa56f442890dabdd929c8071d&
> lingua=eng&da=az
>>
>> Could be wildly inaccurate of course - I'm a Cumbrian and the site's
>> Italian!

> Is Hardknott really an average gradient of less than 10% ? Its just
> the 30% bit that killed me

:))
Demoralising isn't it. From the Boot side, there's the bit in the middle
which seems flat (after 25-30%), and that section does go on a bit - the
whole climb is only 2km, so I guess that's why that gets the average dragged
down to 15%.
As for the Cockley Beck side, again, I guess they're measuring that from
around the bridge, and there's a few hundred yards until the climbing
starts. I must admit though 8.8% average for that side does seem a tad low
to me.
Be a buggar if you had only seen this site, never climbed it before and
decided you could handle 8% gradient on your fixed!

Cheeers... Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
: Which is the easier side ? How steep is the Hawes side at its steepest ?

The Hawes side is the hard side. It's somewhere around 1:4 at the top for a
bit and sufficiently steep leading up to that (1:6 or so) that your legs will
be trashed by the time you get there :)

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune wrote:

> MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Which is the easier side ? How steep is the Hawes side at its steepest ?
>
> The Hawes side is the hard side. It's somewhere around 1:4 at the top for a
> bit and sufficiently steep leading up to that (1:6 or so) that your legs will
> be trashed by the time you get there :)

About 20 years ago a club near Preston organised a 200km AUK event. This
was held in late September/early October, and it had the halfway point at
Hawes, with Fleet Moss straight after the stop.

I rode the event twice, and in each case the combination of the gradient,
the headwind, the rain, the 100km already in my legs and the 100km still to
go just broke my morale and I fell off as I came to a standstill on the 1:4
part.

Happy days!