Fleet Moss - just how steep is it ?

Mseries

Guest
Which is the easier side ? How steep is the Hawes side at
its steepest ?

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Which is the easier side ? How steep is the Hawes side at
> its steepest ?

Hawes side is definitely steeper. It's marked as 1:4, which
looks reasonable. That's only the very top bit though - the
rest is all more sensible.

(1:4, straight, good surface, not narrow, no sheep - wheee!)

cheers, clive

Fleet Moss is listed here - select England (you'll know the
flag by now ! ;-) and 'F' for ... Fleet.

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?sid=401d1c7fa56f4428-
90dabdd929c8071d&lingua=eng&da=az

Could be wildly inaccurate of course - I'm a Cumbrian and
the site's Italian!

Cheeers... Allan. ~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm Italian Cycle tour
reports and the home of... Cycling Before Lycra

Allan Nelson wrote:
> Fleet Moss is listed here - select England (you'll know
> the flag by now ! ;-) and 'F' for ... Fleet.

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?sid=401d1c7fa56f4428-
90dabdd929c8071d& lingua=eng&da=az

> Could be wildly inaccurate of course - I'm a Cumbrian and
> the site's Italian!

Is Hardknott really an average gradient of less than 10% ?
Its just the 30% bit that killed me

MSeries wrote:
> Allan Nelson wrote:
>> Fleet Moss is listed here - select England (you'll know
>> the flag by now ! ;-) and 'F' for ... Fleet.

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?sid=401d1c7fa56f4428-
90dabdd929c8071d&
> lingua=eng&da=az
>>
>> Could be wildly inaccurate of course - I'm a Cumbrian and
>> the site's Italian!
>
> Is Hardknott really an average gradient of less than 10% ?
> Its just the 30% bit that killed me

:))
Demoralising isn't it. From the Boot side, there's the bit
in the middle which seems flat (after 25-30%), and that
section does go on a bit - the whole climb is only 2km, so
I guess that's why that gets the average dragged down to
15%. As for the Cockley Beck side, again, I guess they're
measuring that from around the bridge, and there's a few
hundred yards until the climbing starts. I must admit
though 8.8% average for that side does seem a tad low to
me. Be a buggar if you had only seen this site, never
climbed it before and decided you could handle 8% gradient
on your fixed!

Cheeers... Allan. ~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm Italian Cycle tour
reports and the home of... Cycling Before Lycra

Allan Nelson:

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?sid=401d1c7fa56f4428-
90dabdd929c8071d&lingua=eng&da=az

> Could be wildly inaccurate of course - I'm a Cumbrian and
> the site's Italian!

Great site! Cheers for the link. I've been planning a tour
that takes in Snake Pass (from Ashopton) and Kirkstone Pass
(from Ambleside). Snake Pass was the one I was worried about
until I saw that site. Aieee! I might have to start my tour
from the other end...

d.